Thread: Citroen CX

Citroen CX

Citroen CX

The main disadvantage of the Citroen CX is that it had to be better as the DS, which it succeeded. To a very large extent it was but that was not immediately clear to everybody. The shape was now even more slippery and the name was derived from the co-efficient for air resistance. Technically the same principles were used as in the DS but there were some significant changes. The 4 cylinder engine (and still the one applied in the last versions of the DS) was now transversely placed, of course driving the front wheels, and the semi-automatic hydraulicly assisted gearbox had been replaced by a normal 4 speeder, with a full autobox to follow in later models. Power steering also changed and Citroen introduced the DIRAVI system, which had such a strong self centering effect that the wheels would automatically turn straight after coming out of a corner. The system worked against itself at very sinuous roads, but it provided unrivalled motorway stability.

The first version to appear was the 2000 in 1974, shortly to be followed by the 2200. Initially the powersteering option was not available and I can personally testify that a non-assisted car was quite heavy to drive at low speeds. Over the years many more variants appear, including the Prestige versions with a 25 cm longer wheelbase which resulted in a fantastic interior room. It became the favourite of many French industrialist and government representatives. On the same extended chassis a break version appeared, that was very frequently used as an ambulance.

The engine options developed over time, including the 2,3 litre petrol engine and 2,5 litre turbo engines, both as diesel and petrol versions. The 2.5 litre GTI Turbo produced 168 BHP and with that 220 kph was a possible, and safe, top speed. The 2.5 litre Turbodiesel already managed 190 kph.

In 1985 a major facelift resulted in the Series 2 versions. The front part had changed, mainly through the application of plastic bumpers, the rubber boat effect. The interior design became more regular with circular clocks, replacing the “eye” that showed the speed. There were also more ergonomic improvements as the operation of the car was somewhat out of the ordinary, which was sometimes heavily criticised by car journalists. After these changes the same journalists mentioned that the car had lost some “character”. Difficult to please, these press people.

The berline version disappeared in 1989, with the appearance of the XM, the break continued until 1991. About 830,000 Series 1 berlines were made, and 105,000 series 2. The popular break sold 90,000 and about 22,500 Prestige version (both series) left the factory.

Today the CX is getting similar recognition as the DS and good examples are starting to command serious prices. Shown here are an early series 1 2000, a GTI II Turbo at Retromobile in Paris, and a tweaked GTI 2 Turbo recently appearing at a Citroen gathering near my place. This car has currently close to 200 BHP and there are examples known which produce 240 bhp, by carefully adjusting turbo pressure. Turbo versions are recognisable from the Ts in the wheelhub and the T logo on the bonnet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i used to have pictures of one on my computer.I cannot find them now, so i will check later for them.

Photos of a nice 25 GTi Turbo 2. I'd really love to have one of those.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

my uncle had got a CX, he sold it to my mother 5 years ago and a week later she broke it striking an other car . Thats a stupid story, isn't it ?

the story is not stupid but may be your mother......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

three pics I took 5 minutes ago from my bedroom :

i have found only one (self-made) picture of the CX. Unfortuantely it is not very good.

This example sits right next to my dad's car in the storage It is for sale and has been revised completely a few years back,with special attention to the hydraulics system.

edit: a CX GTi has been selected as best citroen to buy for daily use and some fun/touring for a cheap price by the renowned Dutch Citroexpert magazine. I think it was magazine #3 or 4 of 2005.
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-13-2005 at 01:15 AM.

A little update here, with some pics of the Prestige version, which had an extended wheelbase to allow more legroom for the rear passengers. This particular car is a 1986 Turbo (petrol) version, appearing at the 2006 Concours d'Elegance at Palace Het Loo.

During the next two years, I wouldn't mind buying the 2.5 litre GTI Turbo version of the Citroen CX before I leave Australia to live in Ireland, I've seen a few old Citroen cars here (here = Adelaide, Australia if you can't be bothered looking at my location information ).

Perhaps, somebody can answer these questions... Are there any Citroen CX's in Australia?

Can you import them into Australia?
    Last edited by john14; 01-09-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    Perhaps, somebody can answer this question... Are there any Citroen CX's in Australia... and can you import them into Australia?
    Yes a limited model range of the CX was sold here

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...400_pallas.htm

In brief, vehicle imports under 30 years old need to comply with our ADR laws for that model-year, which usually involves numerous modifications before certification, and r/h/d is also mandatory before a rego pass is given

But r/h/d is not required for imported cars over 30 y/o, nor is the ADR compliance

Thread Information