Thread: Ginetta G15

Ginetta G15

Ginetta G15.

Ginetta is one of those UK garage companies that continues to build cars but not on a very consistent level and with highly fluctuating outputs. The company was started by 4 brothers in 1957, but the first car produced in substantial number was the G4, a two seater sports car with conventional layout. Production started in 1961 and lasted until 1969 and 500 were made. Beside some special racing models four coupe models were built between the sixties and the seventies, the most prolific of them being the G15, presented in 1967.

This rather small coupe was a combination of the Triumph Herald front suspension and steering parts, a spaceframe chassis and the longitudinally placed Hillman Imp engine behind the rear axle. The body was made of fiberglass. The Coventry Climax designed Imp engine was small but could be easily tweaked to improve performance. In its standard 875 cc form it already produced 55 BHP, giving the light coupe a top speed of 160 kph. There were three different Series, with only minor differences, S2 had a front placed radiator, while S3 came with standard alloy wheels. Production lasted until 1974 and almost 800 were made.

One is shown here at the Silverstone Historics in 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 11-17-2005 at 02:13 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Great pictures. I love Ginettas. Got any others?

old G4s, non-digital
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Awesome...never fail to impress

Great pictures
    Thanks

Haha i remember when i did my GDCE project on advertising for GInetta,

The G20 now that was a car

THese are nice but do you have any more???

or am i just being greedy
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Ive got a G15. Any ideas on what types of electronic ignition will work?

Quote Originally Posted by whitey123 View Post
    Ive got a G15. Any ideas on what types of electronic ignition will work?
    Welcome to the forum. I think that since Ginetta is now owned by Lawrence Tomlinson, a direct question to the factory might be the best way to go. It is now a much more serious outfit than it used to be,

Ginetta G15

Ginetta Cars was founded in 1958 by the four Walklett brothers (Bob, Ivor, Trevers and Douglas) in Woodbridge, Suffolk, England. The cars are currently (2008) made in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

The first car, not destined for production, which subsequently became known as the G1 was based on a pre war Wolseley Hornet.From their original base, the company moved to Witham, Essex in 1962 and between 1972 and 1974 operated from larger premises in Sudbury, Suffolk before returning to Witham where they remained until 1989.
    Last edited by henk4; 08-14-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: deleted spam link

Thread Information