Thread: Hillman Imp

Hillman Imp

Hillman Imp.

Four years after the Mini the Rootes group finally presented its reply. The Hillman Imp was launched in 1963 and a new factory in Linwood, Scotland was specially created for that. Contrary to the Mini, the Imp was of all-aft layout, with an 875 cc engine conventionally placed behind the rear axle, producing 37 BHP in its tamest form. This all-alloy engine had been designed by Coventry Climax and featured one OHC. In that respect it was far superior to the Mini, but reliability problems did not do much to establish a good position in the market. Nevertheless the car remained in production until 1976 and many different versions (coupe and estate) appeared, also under the Sunbeam badge, a.o. as the Stiletto. It was quite a popular car for touring car races, and many of these are still showing up at Historic Races. One of the designers of the car, Michael Parkes, went further in his career to become a Ferrari works driver and design assistant as well.

All told about 440,000 Hillmans left the factory, plus about 20,000 Sunbeams.

Shown here are two standard versions and the interior and engine of a racing car, present at the Silverstone Historics in 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This one is very popular on Portuguese circuits. This was at Braga this year.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Somehow I like the " dull" character of the IMP. While they were quite a common site during races in the 60's, you don't see them too often during classics races, these days. A pity!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse View Post
    Somehow I like the " dull" character of the IMP. While they were quite a common site during races in the 60's, you don't see them too often during classics races, these days. A pity!
    History tells us that the late Ferrari driver/engineer Mike Parkes was involved in the development of the car, most likely assuring that the "dull" aspects are only on the outside. But you are right, the last time I saw an Imp being raced must have been in the nineties.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    But you are right, the last time I saw an Imp being raced must have been in the nineties.
    Get on the next Zeebrugge-Rosyth ferry my man
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Get on the next Zeebrugge-Rosyth ferry my man
    you mean they organise an inside-onboard ferry race during the trip??

heres a IMP three wheeling at the Festival of Sporting Cars ran last weekend at Oran Park N.S.W Australia

More historic and contemporary pics here
    http://www.techmasters.com.au/forum/...pic.php?t=2252

Personal Favourite not historic but looks great

SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    you mean they organise an inside-onboard ferry race during the trip??
    Only to the bar and how many you can down

Imps are reasonably common on the race, rally and hillclimb scene.
    Quite a few of the "specials" from the 70s are still around too

Time you got yourself over here - go by plane if the thought of spending 14 hours with a bar full of Scots is a problem
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information