Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASA 1000 GT Spider (1965)

ASA 1000 GT Spider (1965)

The ASA 1000 GT is a diminutive car built by the giants of the rich Italian sports car scene of the 1960s. Enzo Ferrari wanted to build a small four-cylinder GT and thus came about the ASA 1000 GT. Chassis and suspension design was headed by Giotto Bizzarini. The engine was designed by Carlo Chiti, who designed the "Columbo" V12 about a decade earlier. The bodies were built by Bertone and designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro.

Autocostruzione Societa per Azione was formed in 1962 in the city of Milan. Various 1000 GT models were produced in the following years. Sales were never prolific as the cars never really built a following, subsequently production ceased in 1967. During this time only a handful of Spiders were built, some sources say as few as six. This particular car is #5 of all the Spiders built. As atleast 100 were required for homologation, a target of more than 100 units was originally planned. However, production ceased before the 100 were completed.

Overall a very beautifully made car that didn't succeed in winning many hearts.

Specifications:
    Engine: I-4 DOHC
    Displacement: 1,032 cc
    B & S: 69 mm X 69 mm
    Horsepower: 91
    Transmission: 4 speed manual
    Fuel Economy: 22-27 mpg
    Top Speed: 123 mph
    Weight: 2,280 lb
    Wheelbase: 86.5 inches

*On loan at the San Diego Automotive Museum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 12-02-2005 at 10:36 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Nice little car. I was not aware that they did a Spider version of it. Great pix. Got any more of the other exhibits?

I realize this thread is about two years old. But if anyone is watching, I just found one of the (maybe) six ASA spiders. It's sitting in a garage in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines. I had a hell of a time figuring out what it was. If anyone is interested, just reply.

If you're wondering, no, the owner isn't interested in selling. Of course, maybe he could be convinced.

Rafael

Uurrrggghhh

... the owner is not interested in selling ...
    he's even not interested in shutting the soft top ...

look at the steering wheel, someone kept much more attention to the car in the past.

wonderfull pics - thank you!

Peter L

i search an ASA Spyder 5 Years !
    Are you sure that the owner not want sale this car ?
    regards,
    hc

asa

vanderveken in brussels had one for sale a couple of months ago... might still be there.. Spanish plates on it...

Yup, they've had it for quite some time and it seems that it's still available: VDV-Grant
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

asa

I have also made a big ASA find recently.. a prototype.. But i will you posted when I have control of car... :-)

There was a lovely Spider sold at the Gooding & Company auction in Pebble Beach, CA last August. I wanted to buy it, but not at the $99,000 at which it was hammered sold!

Quote Originally Posted by zagato67 View Post
    There was a lovely Spider sold at the Gooding & Company auction in Pebble Beach, CA last August. I wanted to buy it, but not at the $99,000 at which it was hammered sold!
    You might have realised some capital gains if you had bought it then. BTW, wasn't a similar car on offer by RM?

And a warm welcome to UCP.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by osca1600 View Post
    I have also made a big ASA find recently.. a prototype.. But i will you posted when I have control of car... :-)
    I have found the ASA 1300 RB prototype just recently.. Half a prototype Lambo 2600 V12 in that car...Prizes for any pictures of it... I cant find any photographs except one in the ASA book apart from the ones I have taken myself that is ... Project car tho..
    Osca1600
    Last edited by osca1600; 07-31-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by osca1600 View Post
    I have found the ASA 1300 RB prototype just recently.. Half a prototype Lambo 2600 V12 in that car...Prizes for any pictures of it... I cant find any photographs except one in the ASA book apart from the ones I have taken myself that is ... Project car tho..
    Osca1600
    Interesting, for the recent LeMans Classic some |Italian guy entered a 1300 cc ASA 613B. As the car failed to appear I am still at loss to know how it looks. Would there be any relation with your car?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

@ osca1600:

I already have post it on a different location....

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Interesting, for the recent LeMans Classic some |Italian guy entered a 1300 cc ASA 613B. As the car failed to appear I am still at loss to know how it looks. Would there be any relation with your car?
    well, the 613 RB is related aand has the same engine but FRONT engined..
    Fiat 1100 S Mille Miglia Pininfarina
    OSCA 1600 GT2 Fissore
    Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 series 1

Quote Originally Posted by Allemano View Post
    @ osca1600:

I already have post it on a different location....
    And this car is the normal Roll bar.. again front engine....

ASA GTS midengine spider prototype.. Stay posted.. :-)
    Last edited by osca1600; 08-04-2008 at 02:17 PM.
    Fiat 1100 S Mille Miglia Pininfarina
    OSCA 1600 GT2 Fissore
    Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 series 1

Thread Information