Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi R10 TDI 2006-2010

Audi R10 TDI 2006-2010

AUDI TO COMPETE WITH DIESEL SPORTSCAR AT LE MANS

V12 TDI engine produces over 650 hp - world’s most powerful racing diesel engine

Audi will become the world’s first car manufacturer to fight for overall victory with a diesel-engined sportscar in the famous Le Mans 24 Hours. The Audi R10 was unveiled in Paris today (13 December) with the German prestige car maker aiming for its new "open-top" sportscar to continue in the wheeltracks of its ultra-successful predecessor.

The all-new Audi R10 is powered by a totally new 5.5-litre, 12-cylinder twin-turbo TDI engine, which is extremely quiet and economical. Scheduled to make its race début in the Sebring 12 Hours (USA) next March before contesting the gruelling twice-around-the-clock Le Mans race in France (17-18 June), the Audi R10 produces over 650 hp and a colossal 1,100 Newton metres of torque.

Audi first raced at Le Mans in 1999 and has won the annual sportscar "classic" five times in the last six years with its Audi R8 sportscar which has scored 61 wins from 77 races around the world. But Audi ventures into previously unexplored diesel-engine terrain with the V12 power plant manufactured completely from aluminium.

As with the TFSI (turbo petrol direct injection) technology, which triumphed initially at Le Mans before being adopted for mass-production, Audi customers should benefit once again from the lessons learnt in motorsport.

"With the A8 4.2 TDI quattro, Audi already builds one of the most powerful diesel cars in the world," explained Prof Dr Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, at the R10 presentation in Paris.

"The Le Mans project will help our technicians to extract even more from TDI technology. Nowadays, every second Audi is delivered with a TDI engine. We expect that the percentage of diesel engines will be even larger in the future."

The R10 prototype’s V12 power unit, which is equipped with two diesel particle filters, is hardly recognisable as a diesel thanks to the engine’s smooth running. The TDI engine’s specialities presented the Audi Sport engineers with many new challenges.

The injection pressure easily exceeds the 1,600 bar achieved in production cars. The usable power band lies between 3,000 and 5,000 revs per minute - an unusually low rev range for a racing engine. The driver can change gear in the R10 far less often than in the R8 because of the TDI engine’s favourable torque curve.

Radical changes to the chassis were also necessary. The Audi R10 has a significantly longer wheel base than the R8. The overly wide front tyres are, up until now, unique for a Le Mans Prototype. New technologies were also implemented during the development of the carbon-fibre monocoque. Chassis, engine and gearbox form an extremely rigid, fully stressed unit.

"The R10 project is the biggest challenge ever to have been handed to Audi Sport," said Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "TDI technology has not been pushed to its limits in motorsport yet. We are the first to confront the challenge. The demands of such a project are accordingly high. Long-term technology partners such as Bosch, Michelin and Shell support us in our quest. Together we have the chance to write new chapters in the history books of motorsport and diesel technology."

The new Audi R10 successfully completed its first test at the end of November while an extensive test programme is scheduled prior to the car’s race début at Sebring. The development team from Audi Sport is supported by Reinhold Joest’s squad which also performed this task during the R8 project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Audi R10 #2:

they don't mention whether the engine is still fitted with pump-jet injection. According to Auto Motor und sport, VW will phase out these engines and present a "conventional" common rail system as of 2007. The reasons being that pollution control and noise of the pumpjet (Pumpe-Duese) is less easy to control. This could be the first test engine for the new system.

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/erleb...TDI_Motor.html

I just found my answer, it is indeed a common rail diesel engine.
    Last edited by henk4; 12-13-2005 at 01:53 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Looks ok, but will it be as dominating as the R8?
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

I think the R10 will be my new avatar

Nice find MclareN!

Wow, that's crazy, a diesel LM race car. I didn't know diesels were even allowed in those races.

I heard all the R8s are heading off to museums

some more:

Isn't there a road going version of this? If so I can't see why there is 2 threads about this version and none about the other...
    All about the t-tops

Audi R10 Race Car #4:
    Last edited by McLareN; 02-28-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Audi R10 #5

(It IS #5 )
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    Audi R10 #5

(It IS #5 )
    You're right!
    Silly me...

Audi R10 #6
    testing in preparation for the 12h of Sebring later this month

Audi R10 #7
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information