Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolls-Royce 101EX 2006

Rolls-Royce 101EX 2006

Rolls-Royce unveils second experimental car at Geneva show

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars has unveiled a second experimental car, 101EX, at the Geneva show today. It has been hand built to explore a potential design direction for a future coupé model.

"It is a very modern car, a 21st century design that respectfully nods to the past but focuses indisputably on the future," said Ian Cameron, Chief Designer, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars.

101EX uses the same lightweight aluminium construction that was developed for the Phantom, although the body is shorter by 240mm. A full four-seat coupé, twin coach doors add to the car's rakish good looks and streamlined coupé profile.

The roofline is lower than the Phantom's, with a shallower glass area. Streamlined styling starts at the front with the famous grille, discreetly reclined, and extends back across a brushed aluminium bonnet and windscreen surround. The rest of the sleek bodywork is finished in dark tungsten. New 21-inch forged aluminium wheels complete the exterior look.

Inside, the cosseting interior has been designed for elegance and maximum comfort for all four occupants. Machined aluminium, fine leather and rosewood and red oak veneers are used throughout. Slim-line bucket seats offer outstanding comfort for front passengers while the exceptionally spacious rear seat delivers intimate comfort for two. Privacy is assured by the sweeping C-pillars.

The design team has experimented with interior lighting on 101EX, and the car features a 'starlight headliner' made up of hundreds of fibre optic cables to give the impression of a star filled night sky.

Ian Robertson, Rolls-Royce Chairman and Chief Executive, said, "101EX employs the same engineering philosophy as the Phantom, balancing high technology with hand craftsmanship. It illustrates the position of strength from which we operate and points the way for potential new models."

Currently there are no plans to develop a production version of 101EX.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Introduction

101EX is the latest experimental model to come from Rolls-Royce, hand-built to explore a design direction for a modern coupé. Following the same uncompromising approach employed for the Phantom, the new car is an engineering-led design wrapped in a sleek, rakish coupé body.

101EX shares its state-of-the-art, lightweight, aluminium space frame chassis technology with the other Rolls-Royce models, albeit in a body that is shorter overall. Power comes from the Phantom's advanced, direct-injection, 6.75-litre V12 engine, which delivers unstressed, effortless performance.

Currently there are no plans for 101EX to be put into production. It is an experimental car that explores future design directions, a showcase for the innovative design and high-tech architecture that pervade the quintessential modern Rolls-Royce car.

The handsome, low-slung body of 101EX has been created by the Rolls-Royce design team under the direction of chief designer Ian Cameron. While the space frame technology has been borrowed from the Phantom, 101EX is shorter and lower than that model: the wheelbase is 250 mm shorter and overall length is down by 240 mm. All body panels, therefore, are new.

"The design suggests tremendous, effortless power"
    Ian Cameron

101EX is powered by the same 6.75-litre engine as the Phantom. Using advanced direct fuel injection with variable valve lift and timing, the V12 combines power with outstanding combustion efficiency. Designed to develop massive low-down torque, it delivers 75 per cent of its maximum pulling power at just 1000 rpm, giving the smooth, unstressed performance associated with Rolls-Royce.

"101EX is a very modern, 21st century interpretation of a classic Grand Touring coupé," says Rolls-Royce chief designer Ian Cameron.

The unique exterior design features a discreet, streamlined grille, complete with Spirit of Ecstasy mascot, that flows seamlessly back into the aluminium bonnet and windscreen surround. LED sidelight and direction indicators complement the round xenon driving lights.

Long, elegant coach doors, hinged at the rear, allow easier access to the 101EX interior than conventional front-hinged doors and add considerably to the handsome profile. Each door closes at the touch of a button.

New seven-spoke, 21-inch, forged aluminium wheels are used on the car, making them as tough and as lightest as possible.

The cosseting 101EX interior has been designed for elegance and maximum comfort for all of its occupants, featuring machined aluminium, the finest leather and exquisite rosewood and red oak veneers. Even the side and rear windows have wood surrounds.

"The interior uses traditional materials in a modern way," says Alan Sheppard who, together with Charles Coldham, was responsible for the car's interior design. Front slim-line, bucket-style seats offer outstanding comfort. Rear seating is exceptionally spacious for a coupé, with privacy ensured by the sweeping C-pillars.

"101EX is a response to the interest expressed by current and potential Rolls-Royce clients in a coupé," says Rolls-Royce chairman and CEO Ian Robertson. "It is an experimental car only, but one designed and engineered to a high standard. It radiates refinement, performance and presence."

It is the company's second experimental car in 24 months, following 100EX, which was seen at Geneva in 2004 and marked the company's Centenary. "It shows that Rolls-Royce continues to operate from a position of strength, and that we are keen to explore new directions for the brand," adds Robertson.

Rolls-Royce's first experimental car, 1EX, was built in 1919 and based on the Silver Ghost.

The styling of 101EX is more driver-focused than that of the longer Phantom. According to Ian Cameron, "It is a less formal car, more streamlined, more about the individual."

Rolls-Royce 101 EX Concept #3

Rolls-Royce 101 EX Concept #4

Rolls-Royce 101 EX Concept #5

Rolls-Royce 101 EX Concept #6

Quote Originally Posted by Matt

Currently there are no plans to develop a production version of 101EX.

Yeah.

As for the 100 EX...

i always liked the 100EX, only problem is rolls didn't build it
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

very elegant ... sad that wont be produced....

thnx MATT
    ''The ends justify the means''- Niccolo Machiavelli-d_Evil's Advocate

i have seen the 100EX & its beautiful. i saw its boot which is layered with fine wood and leather. the 101 EX looks better.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

They will be building something similar, so chin's up all those who love this car.

I think the front is unresolved, but it does have that swagger and sweeping stature that I love in Rolls Royce, Top Job.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut
    i always liked the 100EX, only problem is rolls didn't build it
    Just wait for a few...

Quote Originally Posted by silverhawk
    i saw its boot which is layered with fine wood and leather.
    Well, paint and leather anyway.
    Thanks for all the fish

Nope, still can't stand the front
    Forza Ferrari

--The thread stopper--

Rolls Royce 101EX

i did several searches and i think there's no thread about 101EX in the hideout

Rolls Royce 101EX #1
    12 cylinders or walk!

Thread Information