Thread: Emd F59ph-i

Emd F59ph-i

EMD F59PH-I (1024x768)

The EMD (General Motors Electro-Motive Division) F59PHI diesel-electric locomotive is a common locomotive on passenger trains in North America. It is the most common passenger locomotive present on the San Diegan rail corridor in Southern California, where it is used to pull Metrolink and Coaster commuter trains, and Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner. They are also used by Amtrak on the Capitol Corridor and Cascades trains, and is used for commuter operations in Seattle (Sounder), Dallas-Fort Worth (Trinity Railway Express), North Carolina (Piedmont), Vancouver (West Coast Express), and Montreal (AMT).

The locomotive is a 3000 horsepower (2.2 MW) B-B diesel-electric locomotive intended for service on North American mainlines, first built in 1993. This locomotive is equipped with a turbocharged 710E3 12 cylinder, 2 stroke water cooled "Vee" diesel engine (prime mover) that develops 3000 horsepower (2.2 MW) at maximum rpm. The main (traction) generator converts mechanical energy from the prime mover into electrical energy that is distributed through a high voltage cabinet to the traction motors. Each of the four traction motors are directly geared to a pair of driving wheels. The gear ratio of the traction motors to wheel axle determines the maximum operating speed of the locomotive; a standard F59PHI has a gear ratio of 56:21 which provides a top speed of 110 mph (176 km/h).

The F59PHI has a fully enclosed carbody which provides protected walkways for easy access to the engine room and trailing units. This arrangement allows routine maintence while the locomotive is in service. The noteworthy aspect of this locomotive's exterior is the use of composites to present a streamlined appearance.

To supply electrical power for passenger service, the F59PHI is equipped with a secondary electrical generator referred to as the head end generator. The head-end generator generates AC power at 480 V AC 750 amps or about 500 kW to provide power to the passenger carriages for lighting, electric heating, and air conditioning. The locomotive has a second diesel engine dedicated specifically for generation of head-end power. With this arrangement, the prime mover is not burdened with head-end power generation and can be used solely for supplying tractive effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ag84; 03-02-2006 at 03:06 PM.

emd F59ph-i
    Attached Images Attached Images

uuuhh... awesome train

Thanks! Great pics. Especially post#2, pic1. It's my new wallpaper. Fantastic.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Thread Information