Thread: ARO 10 1980-2006

ARO 10 1980-2006

Romanian beast...

ARO 10
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Come on guys, it doesn't look that bad, infact in person it looks like a real car.
    Ehem...you mean truck...a REAL truck. The ARO was actually sold in the United States for a couple of years back in the late 1990's. They are now sold under the name Cross Lander as manufactured in Brazil. I think they can be imported in the United States.

Are the first two pictures prototypes? The cars on them look more boxy and have different front than the ones I remember.
    #3 is Aro 10.4 Spartana
    #4 is Aro 10.4

For some reason the 10 series was never too popular in Poland. But 240s are still a common view... Well, maybe not that common any more, but you can still see them sometimes, especially in mountains and forests.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    Ehem...you mean truck...a REAL truck. The ARO was actually sold in the United States for a couple of years back in the late 1990's. They are now sold under the name Cross Lander as manufactured in Brazil. I think they can be imported in the United States.
    There was an intention to sell ARO... do you have info on how many units were delivered?
    And that one was 244 - different model, looks more like a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Are the first two pictures prototypes? The cars on them look more boxy and have different front than the ones I remember.
    #3 is Aro 10.4 Spartana
    #4 is Aro 10.4
    No, the first two pictures are from factory brochure, from 1980, I assume they were facelifted a little after that. What do you think 10.4 means? Fourth version.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    #3 is Aro 10.4 Spartana
    #4 is Aro 10.4
    If you put mouse arrow over the picture, you'll see that there is year of production for each model in the name of the file.

Cross Lander USA Acquires Romania's Aro 4x4 Manufacturing Facility; New Off-Road Vehicle to Arrive In U.S. In Early 2004

MIAMI--Sept. 26, 2003--Cross Lander USA announced today that it has completed the purchase of Romania's Aro 4x4 vehicle manufacturing facility that is located 60 miles north of Bucharest. With the plant now under the operational control of Cross Lander, the company expects to begin immediate production of its new sport recreation vehicle (SRV) that will be introduced to the U.S. in March 2004.

Acquisition of the 8.5 million square foot facility completes the Romanian government's efforts to privatize its auto industry. Cross Lander has committed to an investment of $12 million during the next several years to enhance the production capabilities at the facility.

Cross Lander USA chairman and CEO John Perez said the agreement concludes a nine-year effort to solidify Cross Lander's commitment to the Romanian government, plant management, and the 2,200 employees working at the plant.

"We firmly believe all parties will benefit greatly from this team effort," added Perez, a thirty-year veteran of the automotive industry.

Perez said the first year of production will reach 10,000 with 6,000 four-wheel drive SRV's already sold to a U.S. dealer network that presently exceeds 90. He expects to have 150 dealers by the time the vehicles start arriving in March 2004. The remaining 4,000 vehicles will be sold in Latin America and Europe. Year two production is projected to reach 15,000 vehicles.

Cross Lander's new 4x4 SRV is designed clearly for those drivers who want to take their vehicles off-road and not worry about "keeping them pretty," Perez said. "Off-roaders, hunters, fishermen and campers will find the vehicle fits their needs in the SRV segment."

The first vehicles are expected to sell for under $20,000. Cross Lander will offer a 6-cylinder engine and high durability powertrain system. For further details on the vehicle contact the Cross Lander web site at http://www.CrossLander4x4.com.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    There was an intention to sell ARO... do you have info on how many units were delivered?
    And that one was 244 - different model, looks more like a truck.
    Well I remember seeing an article in Motor Trend a while back, and I also saw a dealership selling ARO's in Monticello, NY (Rt. 17 W towards Bethel and the Woodstock site). Maybe someone here is from that area and can help us out. I will try to do some research at work and see if I can come up with any import numbers.

I intended to make a separate thread on this, but since the Cross Lander has already been discussed here, I'll just contribute to the existing thread.

Apparently, the great perspectives Mr. Perez presented to all the journalists (and the Romanian government) were nothing but a nicely wrapped load of b****shit.
    In 2003 the Romanian government sold him 68,7% of the company for... 180,000 $ Instead of the promised investments of several million dollars, Perez sold the company's premises (machines, buildings and land) in parts, for about four times more. The Cross Lander USA Inc then fired all its emplyees, sold its headquarters and closed down in February 2006, while the ARO company went bankrupt in June 2006.
    Perezs has been recently sued by the Romanian government for fraud, breaking the privatisation contract and using false financial documents when buying the company.
    The newest info I have is that a Romanian company named Amrom Automotive 2006 is negotiating with ARO creditors to purchase the company, and plans to resume production of the ARO vehicles at the Cāmpulung factory.
    I don't know what happened with the Brasilian branch. Maybe someone else has more details?
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Thread Information