Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey 100 1953-1956

Austin-Healey 100 1953-1956

The Austin-Healey 100 is a sports car built from 1953 until 1956.

It was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey's small car company in Warwick and based on Austin A90 Atlantic mechanicals. Healey built a single Healey Hundred for the 1952 London Motor Show, and the design impressed Leonard Lord, Managing Director of Austin so much that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin's Longbridge factory. The car was renamed the Austin-Healey 100.

The "100" name comes from Donald Healey, who selected the name from the car's ability to reach 100 mph (160 km/h), as opposed to the Austin-Healey 3000, which is named for its 3000 cc engine.

Production Austin-Healey 100s were finished at Austin's Longbridge plant alongside the A90 and based on fully trimmed and painted body/chassis units produced by Jensen in West Bromwich—in an arrangement the two companies previously had explored with the Austin A40 Sports.

The 100 was the first of three models later called the Big Healeys (100-6 and 3000) to distinguish them from the much smaller Austin-Healey Sprite. The Big Healeys are often referred to by their three-character model designators rather than by their models, as the model names do not reflect the mechanical differences and similarities well.

------

Austin-Healey 100 #1
    Few interesting press photos from early 1950s....
    Notice that only women are allowed behind the wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 12-22-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Nice and rare pics, as usual. Thanks!!!

Beign pedantic

These are 100-4 .... 2 litre 4 cylinder ...

Interesting these are only driven by women as the 100-4 wasn't a slouch, being the basis for the Le Mans 100M and the Sebring/MilleMiglia 100Ss. SO they were "mens cars" .... though not a par to the 100-6 that followed or my favourite the "big Healey" 3000s.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Beign pedantic

These are 100-4 .... 2 litre 4 cylinder ...
    Being super pedantic

Officially there was no such thing as Austin Healey 100-4, first Healeys which used 4 cyl. engine were called simply 100 (see attached brochure cover).

Yes, after 4 cyl engine was replaced with 6 cyl, A-H renamed the car as 100 Six. Name 100-4 is invented by the afficionados to differentiate between two, nevertheless, historically it is not correct model designation.

Right, enough of quibbling.

time for a real car then
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    Being super pedantic

Officially there was no such thing as Austin Healey 100-4, first Healeys which used 4 cyl. engine were called simply 100 (see attached brochure cover).

Yes, after 4 cyl engine was replaced with 6 cyl, A-H renamed the car as 100 Six. Name 100-4 is invented by the afficionados to differentiate between two, nevertheless, historically it is not correct model designation.

Right, enough of quibbling.
    Correct (nearly) - the BN2 and the BN4 were sold at the same time so the 4 and the 6 needed the "afficionado" differentiation in 56/57

... and the cars pictured are the 4s as the "six"/6 has the bonnet louvre. Just trying to keep things right on image labelling
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Someone get the hose to break you two up.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Austin-Healey 100 #3
    these are all 100's right?
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Austin-Healey 100S

Austin-Healey AHS

Built primarily with racing in mind, the aluminium-bodied "100S" (for Sebring) model developed 132 bhp (98 kW) at 4700 rpm. Only 50 production cars were made, plus an additional five works development/special test cars which were hand built by the Donald Healey Motor Company at Warwick. The cast iron cylinder head was replaced by one made from aluminium and the overdrive unit was not fitted to the gearbox. Dunlop disc brakes were fitted front and rear. To keep weight to a minimum, there were no bumpers or hood (convertible top), a smaller grille and the windscreen was plastic. The 100S was also the first production car in the world to sport disc brakes at both the front and rear. The car was approximately 200 lb (91 kg) lighter than standard. The majority of all 100S were two-toned White with Lobelia Blue sides. However, a handful of cars where produced in other colors including Spruce Green, red and one single black 100S.

An unrestored works racing team 1953 Austin-Healey '100' Special Test Car, which was campaigned in period by racing drivers Lance Macklin, Gordon Wilkins and Marcel Becquart, sold for a world record £843,000 ($1,323,915) December 1, 2011, at Bonhams' December Sale. This car was involved in the 1955 Le Mans disaster, motor racing's most lethal crash—where 84 people died and 120 were injured.
    Last edited by Duell; 12-22-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Someone get the hose to break you two up.
    Jealous big-boy ?? :kiss-kiss:

Seriously tho', do we WANT to share knowledge or just let things lie.
    I'm happy to leave it the way it was
    Seems like some folsk dont' think correction and clarification is valualbe.
    Many come here to share and expand, if we're going to moan every time anyone points out and further clarification expands on it then what's the point ?????

( or is it your time of the month, Matt ? )

hellooo? shoud i be removing my pics? i also got a couple of 3000 shots too

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    hellooo? shoud i be removing my pics? i also got a couple of 3000 shots too
    No they're cool.
    Nice ones.
    As Pieter said, they're all 100s and continue to be.
    THe 100/6 ( 100 Six ) is identifiable with a bonnet bulge with open front.
    As all pics to date were of 100/4s I felt it worth pointing out in case you wanted to have a seperate thread for the 100/6s

maybe we should just leave them togeather, it would be a big hassle to create a new thread and transfer pictures. plus there would only be about 4 pics in this thread afterward

not really as so far these are ALL 100s ( ie NOT 100/6s )

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Jealous big-boy ?? :kiss-kiss:

Seriously tho', do we WANT to share knowledge or just let things lie.
    I'm happy to leave it the way it was
    Seems like some folsk dont' think correction and clarification is valualbe.
    Many come here to share and expand, if we're going to moan every time anyone points out and further clarification expands on it then what's the point ?????

( or is it your time of the month, Matt ? )
    Peter, are you entirely too old to laugh?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information