Thread: DKW 3=6 Monza (F93) 1956-1958

DKW 3=6 Monza (F93) 1956-1958

DKW Monza celebrates 50th anniversary

• First post-war Auto Union sports car set five world records in 1956
    • In action at this year’s Mille Miglia

Ingolstadt, 26 April 2006

Small-volume production of just 230 models, exceptionally popular with the Americans and a world-record setter to boot: the DKW Monza. This car was named after the world-famous Italian Grand Prix circuit where the first sports car in Auto Union post-war history enjoyed outstanding success. In 1956, the DKW Monza set new world records in the 1100 cc class over distances of 4000 miles, 5000 miles and 10,000 kilometres as well as over the time distances of 48 and 72 hours. That all happened 50 years ago. Audi Tradition is now taking advantage of this anniversary to put the DKW Monza back on the road. This post-war racer will be showing just what it is capable of at the Mille Miglia from 11 to 14 May.

After the series of wins by the DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse in European touring car racing and rallying in 1954 and 1955, two racing drivers started to develop a sporty body for the successful model. Günther Ahrens and Albrecht W. Mantzel designed a record-breaking car on the basis of the 3=6, incorporating an extremely lightweight plastic body built at Dannenhauer & Stauss in Stuttgart. The first prototype was presented in 1955 at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt. The DKW Monza went on sale after its world record runs in 1956. Surprisingly enough, a large number of this small-volume model were exported to the USA, where the lightweight sports coupé with its new plastic body proved to be extremely popular. Despite a modest 44 horsepower, its straight-three, two-stroke engine propelled it to a considerable top speed of 140 kilometres per hour. The DKW Monza cost 10,500 marks in 1956. The fact that only 230 of it were built can be attributed to Auto Union GmbH already having another exciting new sports car project up its sleeve: the Auto Union 1000 Sp which was launched in 1957.

The four rings of the Audi badge symbolise the brands Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer, which were later combined under the umbrella of Auto Union. Auto Union and NSU, which merged in 1969, made many significant contributions towards the development of the car. AUDI AG was formed from Audi NSU Auto Union AG in 1985. Together with the two traditional companies Auto Union GmbH and NSU GmbH, Audi Tradition nurtures and presents the deep and diverse history of Audi.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

DKW Monza #2

Great pics Matt, these ones that I have don't compare to those.

Matt, can you find me that kind of pics but from the DKW Junior?
    Great find!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I have others but not so good in size: 800x600 and more small. The section have a name 'Hi-Res', that's why I ask before if is right or wrong I put that pic's. And, of course, if Matt give a ok: is this thread
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

Monza website

I found that nice site:

http://dkw-monza.com

Quote Originally Posted by dkwmonza
    I found that nice site:

I guess it did not cause you much difficulties to find that
    Welcome to UCP, be aware though you have to be very careful here with promoting your own site, as that might be considered as spam. In view of the rarity/obscurity of the subject and the fact that not all members have command of the German language, I think/hope the mods will let you get away with it
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I guess it did not cause you much difficulties to find that
    Welcome to UCP, be aware though you have to be very careful here with promoting your own site, as that might be considered as spam. In view of the rarity/obscurity of the subject and the fact that not all members have command of the German language, I think/hope the mods will let you get away with it
    I'll let that one slip because it has to do with the thread. The next time he does it it's gonzo for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I'll let that one slip because it has to do with the thread. The next time he does it it's gonzo for him.
    Well I could find no positive proof that it it his site, but circumstantial evidence is rather strong
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Well I could find no positive proof that it it his site, but circumstantial evidence is rather strong
    He/she might be a regular user...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    He/she might be a regular user...
    not likely, this being his/her first post

Quote Originally Posted by dkwmonza
    I found that nice site:

Interesting site. Shame it's only in german.
    Welcome to UCP.
    So I suppose you own one of this beauties, right?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

DKW Monza #3
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information