Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW 1-Series (E81/E87) 2004-2011

BMW 1-Series (E81/E87) 2004-2011

The first-generation BMW 1 Series is a compact executive car produced by the German automaker BMW since 2004, when it replaced the BMW 3 Series Compact range as the smallest and least expensive vehicle in the BMW range. As of May 2013, the 3-door and 5-door hatchbacks have been superseded by the F20 and F21 models, while the E82 coupe and E88 convertible variants remain in production.

Available in 3-door hatchback (model code E81), 5-door hatchback (E87), coupe (E82) and 2-door convertible (E88) body styles, the 1 Series features a rear-wheel drive chassis, 50:50 weight balance, longitudinally-mounted engine and aluminum multilink suspension as well as a range of straight-4 straight-6 petrol and diesel engines. The 1 Series accounted for nearly one-fifth of the total sales in 2008

The 1 Series was developed alongside the E90 3 Series. Design work was done by Christopher Chapman in 2001, which was frozen for series production at the end of 2001. The 2002 CS1 Concept previewed the 1-Series design elements at the 2002 Geneva Motor Show.

he 1 Series was launched globally in Autumn 2004 and shares many structural, chassis, powertrain, hardware and electronic elements with the larger E90 3-Series. The model was started to provide a lower point of entry into the BMW range as the 3 Series moved gradually up-market. Initially launched as a five-door hatchback, a three-door version was also launched in July 2007.

The 1 Series Coupé (E82) was unveiled in Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) 2007, which went on sale on November 24, 2007.

The 1 Series coupe (E82) and convertible (E88) went on sale in the United States and Canada in model year 2008 (30 June 2007) as the 128i and the 135i. Other countries received the 120i and 125i in both platforms. The convertible, unlike the 3 Series convertible, uses a soft-top instead of a folding hardtop.

The North American introduction of the coupe and cabriolet was during the second quarter of 2008, which was credited for helping BMW overtake Lexus as the top luxury brand.

The first-generation 1 series shares over 60% of components with the E90 3-Series., including front and rear suspension.

In 2011 the E81/87 was replaced by the F20/F21

info from wikipedia.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 02-12-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

+---------------------+
    Press release from 2004
    +---------------------+

BMW is poised to shake up the compact executive segment with the arrival of the new 1 Series. Featuring four engines, three gearboxes and rear-wheel drive, a combination not found in any of its competitors, the BMW 1 Series makes its entrance in autumn 2004 and will immediately offer a new benchmark to driving dynamics in its class.

A 1.6-litre petrol engine producing 150Nm of torque at 4,300rpm powers the entry-level BMW 116i. The 115bhp unit achieves a zero to 62mph time of 10.8 seconds and a top speed of 125mph. Even with this high level of performance, the 116i achieves an economical fuel consumption of 37.7mpg.

The high-performance four-cylinder petrol model is the BMW 120i with its 150bhp and 200Nm (at 3,600rpm) 2.0-litre VALVETRONIC petrol engine. Light and nimble, the 120i covers zero to 62mph in 8.7 seconds before going on to achieve a maximum speed of 135mph.

The BMW 1 Series launch line-up is completed with two versions of the powerful yet frugal 2.0-litre common rail diesel engine. The 122bhp BMW 118d averages 50.4mpg while posting a zero to 62mph time of 10 seconds and reaching a top speed of 125mph. The higher-performance 163bhp BMW 120d achieves 49.6mpg yet is capable of a 7.9 second zero to 62mph time and a 137mph top speed. Instant turbo power delivered smoothly to the red line results in the 120d posting sharper performance figures than its 2.0-litre petrol equivalent.

In-gear overtaking in both diesel models should prove rapid thanks to a maximum torque of 280Nm and 340 Nm respectively, much of this urge available from a low 2,000rpm. Both diesel-engined derivatives and the two petrol units are EU4 emission compliant.

Power is delivered to the road via a six-speed manual in 118d, 120d and 120i models, while the 116i has a five-speed manual gearbox. An optional six-speed automatic will also be offered on 120i and 120d models.

Although a new car in a new premium segment, the 1 Series has the traditional BMW design trademarks – the front kidney grille, double headlamps and ‘Hofmeister kink’ on the C-pillar all feature. These punctuate a genuinely head-turning styling that ensures the new 1 Series will stand out amongst its competitors.

After slipping behind the wheel and firing up the engine via a starter button, the driver will go on to enjoy BMW’s renowned 50:50 weight distribution and front engine, rear wheel drive set-up – unique in this class. Coupled with a technically elaborate aluminium front axle and five-link rear suspension, this ensures optimum handling and traction, and the most invigorating drive in the compact executive segment. A drag coefficient of just 0.29 helps the new BMW 1 Series slip through the air with maximum efficiency and the minimum of noise. Standard fit 16-inch run-flat tyres also mean the days of motorway hard shoulder tyre changes are over.

Measuring just 4.23 metres long, but with a relatively long wheelbase of 2.66 metres, driving dynamics have been cleverly worked into a practical four-seater. The new 1 Series offers ample shoulder and legroom for rear passengers and, thanks to split fold rear seats that fold virtually flat, a similarly generous luggage capacity of between 330 to 1150 litres of storage space.

Dynamic Stability Control, Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Brake Control and Electronic Differential Lock help ensure the 1 Series provides the highest standards of active safety without impacting unnecessarily on driving enjoyment. An airbag system that includes head airbags for all occupants means the new BMW 1 Series also meets the most stringent passive safety requirements.

The high level of standard safety features combined with structural integrity means that the new 1 Series is clearly aiming for five stars in the Euro NCAP crash test.

Meanwhile, optional extras include Bluetooth capability, sports seats with backrest width adjustment, acoustic Park Distance Control at the front and the rear and Bi-xenon headlights. The pioneering iDrive controller when mated to a navigation system is also an option. Keyless access and voice-activated radio and navigation systems will appear after launch.

Prices for the all-new 1-Series will be announced later in the spring.
    Last edited by Duell; 02-12-2015 at 12:04 PM.

BMW 1 Series #3

BMW 1 Series #4

BMW 1 Series #5

I was reading the newspapers today and they were talking about the 1 series, the price will be around £16,000 ( thats pounds not dollars).

I guess there won't be an M version.
    Calling this an M1 would be heresy.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I guess there won't be an M version.
    Calling this a BMW is heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    i agree. its so damned ugly. disapointing.
    996 911 Turbo on Sc.net

BMW, you used to be great, now look at you. The new models have THE worst design of any Europen car out there. Even most Asian cars, and a couple American cars look better. I know styling is all in the eyes of the beholder, but come on, I'm sure he wasn't a blind 5 year old. If I wanted a small hatch-back with less than 200 HP, I'd buy a Civic or Golf. What market do they think they can capitalize on? With a price like that ( $16,000 GBR Pounds = aprox $40,000 Canadian Dollars) I could get something alot faster, or even flashier than this. For that price I could get a Mini Cooper and put the rest into making it handle and go well. All this just begs the question: What has gotten into the minds of the German Automakers? (Of course I am aluding to VW moving up-market with the Phaeton, and now BMW moving down-market with the 1 Serries)

I wonder how long it's going be before there is a legal battle between Ford
    "The One" (GT)

and BMW
    "The only 1"

Maybe they could have a 'Highlander' style "There can be only One/1" battle
    and Chris Bangle will get decapitated
    Thanks for all the fish

I dunno if it will sell very well, but I think its the best design from Bangle yet.

Hey Matt very good post about this little Bimmer. Nice looks, but i think it is going to be hard to see this 1 Series in the States.
    Inhale my fumes.......If you can catch me...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Fumes
    Hey Matt very good post about this little Bimmer. Nice looks, but i think it is going to be hard to see this 1 Series in the States.
    From what I've heard, the 1 might not come at all. The tentative date has been pushed back by at least 2 years and it will only come with a the I6.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I dunno if it will sell very well, but I think its the best design from Bangle yet.
    It's not a Bangle design. Bloke called Chris Chapman I think
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Thread Information