Thread: Cg

Cg

CG is another example of short lived French sportscar companies that nevertheless produced some very attractive models.
    CG stands for Chappa and Gessalin, two brothers who already since the thirties had been involved in coach building and set up a new company in 1957. They helped in designing the Alpine A106/108 range, but decided to go their own way in 1964.

They designed a new spider and approached Simca for the mechanics, in this case the drive train of the Simca 1000. This resulted in a very nice, but slightly underpowered car, which was presented in 1966 and dubbed Spider 1000. Production actually took place at the Simca factory.

Performance was not so poor, in spite of having only 40 BHP, but with a kerb weight of only 640 kg, the car was supposed to be able to reach 100 mph. More powerful engines were developed over time but the final A1000 version of the Spider had 49 BHP and could reach 165 kph.

There was also a Coupe version of the 1000S, named Sport 1000. The A1000 versions were discontinued in 1970.

The next CG became the B1200, which had a 1204 cc engine, (from the Simca 1200S Coupe) which produced 80 BHP and turned the ultra light cars into something more challenging. The B1200S entered the market in 1968. Power further increased to 85 BHP in 1970. Some racing variants were also produced, notably a flat spider and a coupe version fitted with a supercharger. These were named “548” after the kerb weight on the homologation papers.

The final version of the CG Coupe was the C1300, which used the 1300 cc engine from the Simca Rallye 2, and with 2 double Webers power increased to a healthy 95 BHP.

As with so many small companies the early seventies proved also to be fatal for CG and production stopped in 1974. Overall it is estimated that 405 cars were made, of which 30 A1000 models, 280 B1200s (including some derivatives) and 95 C1300 models.

Shown here are A1000 Spider which was present at the LeMans Classic in 2006, a 1200 S, which participated in the Tour Auto 2005, and a very rare 1200 S “548” , also in Tour Auto 2005.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Interesting car, it reminds me a lot of the triumph gt6.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    Pretty car.
    .....likes NASCAR

looks very alpine a110? (wrong model perhaps? not too sure on alpines?)
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Yes, reminds me of Alpine A110 and Deutsch-Bonnet HBR5.

These French sports cars are really cool! As my avatar Pegaso

They were in the early model design team for the Alpines, so no real surprise they look similar
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    They were in the early model design team for the Alpines, so no real surprise they look similar
    They actually did work for almost all the small manufacturers in France. In 1962 they worked for Alpine, René Bonnet and Charles Deutsch (CD) all at the same time. In other words, they had a lot of experience from smaller sports cars when they made the CG.

The mid engined proto MC was really cool.
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Some CG pics from this summer.
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Thanks Mart, very nice, was there a CG club meet somewhere?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Amicale CG just happened to have their annual meeting in the same area as where the Djet meeting was (which I attended).
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Quote Originally Posted by MartB View Post
    Amicale CG just happened to have their annual meeting in the same area as where the Djet meeting was (which I attended).
    great, some shots of the Djet meeting too?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    great, some shots of the Djet meeting too?
    On it's way !
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Great to find a bit of history and some pictures of these unique cars.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    thats beautiful...
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information