Thread: Renault 21 Turbo and Quadra

Renault 21 Turbo and Quadra

One of the nicest sleepers in the current car market is the Renault 21 Turbo, which turned this decent family saloon into something really special. It was presented in 1988, two years after the launch of the base model, which for a brief period in 1987 was also sold in the USA as the Medallion.

The two liter engine was tuned up to 175 BHP and 270 Nm of torque, and this car was produced during a period that constructors did not pour out regular tanks, so kerb weight was just over 1200 kg. Top speed was given as just under 230 kph, while the 0-100 sprint took less than 8 seconds. The Renault was much quicker than its contemporary rivals like the Mercedes 190-2.3/16, the Peugeot 405 MI16 and the Citroen BX GTi16v. The 21 Turbo also participated in the European Touring Car Championships.

Being front wheel driven, traction was a problem and Renault issued a 4WD version as well, the Quadra, which has become very rare indeed, as it was only produced from October 1990 to May 1991. It was heavier by 180 kg which did affect absolute performance, but road holding improved greatly.

The interior was put on a higher standard as well, culminating in the final phase 3 version, with the best finish of all. Production ended in 1992.

Shown here are a normal turbo and the elusive Quadra version, which appeared at the Le Mans Classic in 2006.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I saw one today...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I saw one today...
    did it see you?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    did it see you?
    Since it was behind me (I was driving) I suppose it did...

It was one of the early ones.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information