Thread: DB Citroen

DB Citroen

Just after the second world war the Deutsch & Bonnet combo started to race specials based on their own chassis design and fitted with the 1911 cc engine of the Citroen Traction Avant. The lay-out of that engine resulted in a front wheel racing cars, not very common in those days (and even less now). There were single seater versions as well as two seaters that were eligible for Le Mans.

The engine was fitted with two carburetors and the cars were described as “reasonably fast”.

In 1949, DB became unhappy with Citroen and started using Panhard mechanicals, which brought the company great success.

Shown here is a 1945 built 2-seater special, which participated in the 2006 LeMans Historique.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

DB-Citroen etc.

Happy to find your picture of the DB-Citroen, but I'd be even happier if I could find pictures of the 2-liter Formula 2 DB-Citroens that DB raced from 1946 to 1950. I'd also like to find good pictures of Eugene Martin's BMW special, and above all, the Formula 2 Jicey--and perhaps some other late-forties racing rarities. I'm researching the 1945-1953 period and trying to find pictures of all the F1, F2 and (maybe) FL cars.
    All the best,
    Uncle Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ed
    Happy to find your picture of the DB-Citroen, but I'd be even happier if I could find pictures of the 2-liter Formula 2 DB-Citroens that DB raced from 1946 to 1950. I'd also like to find good pictures of Eugene Martin's BMW special, and above all, the Formula 2 Jicey--and perhaps some other late-forties racing rarities. I'm researching the 1945-1953 period and trying to find pictures of all the F1, F2 and (maybe) FL cars.
    All the best,
    Uncle Ed
    Welcome to UCP. As much asl I would love to help you out, this is all I have on old DBs. Up to this summer I did not even know they ran Citroen engines in the past. Interesting subject you are dealing with. Did you see the Monnier Speciale elsewhere on this site? Would you care to share some of your findings on UCP or are you planning on somthing more special like a book on these early post-war specials?
    Last edited by henk4; 10-18-2006 at 08:25 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Many thanks for your reply. I am researching (for my own amusement) F1-F2-FL racing in the 1945-1953 period and trying to get complete race results, make a list of all the cars that took part, and find pictures of as many of them as I can. When I retire (in another year), I'll probably do the same with the 1954-1960 period. I don't think I have any rare and wonderful information, but anyone who has a question about that era is welcome to ask.
    All the best,
    Uncle Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ed
    Many thanks for your reply. I am researching (for my own amusement) F1-F2-FL racing in the 1945-1953 period and trying to get complete race results, make a list of all the cars that took part, and find pictures of as many of them as I can. When I retire (in another year), I'll probably do the same with the 1954-1960 period. I don't think I have any rare and wonderful information, but anyone who has a question about that era is welcome to ask.
    All the best,
    Uncle Ed
    Thanks, I am sure that when you get on with this you might turn into a veritable source of information on the period. I'll try to keep an open eye for the subject when we will visit historic races, but most of the currently run cars I am sure you have documented.

btw, here is the Monnier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Many thanks for that lovely picture! Is that the Monnier Special you mentioned, or something else? It differs from the two Monnier Specials I have pictures of.
    Uncle Ed

Sorry, I didn't read the fine print--so now I have pictures of three versions of the Monnier!

here are more pics

The DB is a beautiful classic car. henk, thank you for posting the pictures.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Thread Information