Thread: Peugeot 202

Peugeot 202

The small 4 door Peugeot 202 was launched in 1938 and became an immediate success. The engine had 1133 cc, and the 30 BHP allowed for a 100 kph top speed, not at all bad for the period. Design was conventional, with a separate body and chassis. During darkness the two headlights placed in the grill made the car stand out.

When the war ended in France (1944) car production could be resumed earlier than in other European countries and the 202 reappeared in 1945, virtually unchanged. A break version, in the shape of a woody, was also available, as well as a full cabriolet. With the appearance of the 203, production stopped in 1949, and 104126 left the factory.

Shown here is a standard version, which made its appearance at the classic club meet during the Le Mans Historique of 2006.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Oh, those great headlamps hidden under the grilles. When I saw them first they really amazed me!

Were the headlights placed that way primarily for design purposes or more to protect them from various flying objects that could be found on Europe's roads at the time (i.E. stones etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by KM2 View Post
    Were the headlights placed that way primarily for design purposes or more to protect them from various flying objects that could be found on Europe's roads at the time (i.E. stones etc.)?
    aerodynamics???
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If they were afraid of stones, they would make a triplex front window=) I see it just as the beginning of 'aerodynamic' era - the futuristic look and so on... Why, you think, did Americans make hiding headlights on their most famous muscle cars? I think, that was a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    aerodynamics???
    Just been writing the similar post lol

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Why, you think, did Americans make hiding headlights on their most famous muscle cars? I think, that was a reason.
    so that americans could not see the Light.....

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    so that americans could not see the Light.....
    Didn't catch the idea, sorry

Fashion has something to do with it, true, and the order of the day was aerodynamics I suppose. Retractable headlights on the other hand, well, not everyone wanted their cars to look like a Frogeye Sprite But there are still better solutions to it than retractable lights - heavy, complex and not particularly good looking when deployed - i.E. always

Thread Information