Thread: Trident Venturer

Trident Venturer

The Trident was intended to be a new TVR model when it was launched duirng the 1965 Geneva Motorshow. Not uncommon TVR was having some financial problems, so the project looked to be prematurely aborted, until a TVR dealer, Bill Last, stepped in and started to produce the vehicle under the name Trident.

The body was designed by Fiore and the prototype built by Fiore. Production in the UK started in 1966. After completion of some prototypes, the first production model was the Trident Clipper. It used an Austin Healey chassis and a fiberglass body. Engine choice ranged from a Ford 4.7 litre V8 to a 5.6 litre Chrysler hemi, producing 390 BHP, which made the car quite a handful. The claimed topspeed was 240 kph.

In 1969 a new model was presented, which showed some cosmetic updates, but the main change was now the use of the Triumph TR6 chassis. The Venturer, as the new model became known was fitted with a 3 litre Ford Essex V6 (from the Capri) and with the new independent rear suspension and the less brutish engines, it became a more civilised car to deal with. A sister model, the Tycoon, appeared in 1971 and was fitted with the Triumph 2.5 PI engine, which produced 5 BHP more. Only six of these were produced.

Production of the Venturer ceased in 1978. All in all 225 Tridents were made.

Shown here is a 1971 Venturer that participated in the RetroRun, organized during the Silverstone Classic in 2006.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Awesome tidbits as always. Do you have any pictures of the back end? Was the Venturer a replacement for the Clipper? How about some pix of te Tycoon?

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    Awesome tidbits as always. Do you have any pictures of the back end? Was the Venturer a replacement for the Clipper? How about some pix of te Tycoon?
    1. No, the fence was too close
    2. Yes
    3. I promise if I ever see one...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

first photo: the Tycoon. 2th and 3th photos: is two Trident. but what Trident? two version of the Venturer?
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

sorry, the pics...

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information