Thread: Reliant Sabre Six

Reliant Sabre Six

Reliant, best known for its 3 wheeled cars, also entered the sports car market in 1961, with Sabre model, a rather ugly fiberglass bodied car, that was even produced under license in Israel as the Sabra. Reliant made 58 and Sabra 150.

In 1962 a new body appeared, which looked remarkably similar to the Triumph Spitfire, which first appeared during the same year. The 4-cylinder Ford engine was now replaced by a 2.5 litre inline six, derived from the Ford Zephyr. Two versions were available, one with 106 and the other with 120 BHP. The in-house designed front suspention was soon replaced by that of the Triumph TR4. The car was only available as a complete car, and as it was priced only 30 pounds lower than an Austin Healey 3-litre, it was not a big success. Over a 4 year production period up to 1966, only 77 were built.

Shown here is one during the Silverstone Classic of 2006, which is still in regular use for historic racing events, although it was not a participant here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information