Thread: Reliant Scimitar GTE

Reliant Scimitar GTE

Reliant bought the rights to produce an Ogle designed fiberglass coupe that was built on an improved Daimler chassis. It was a 2+2 car, and got the designation SE4. All cars were fitted with a 6 cylinder for engine, the inline Zodiac for the first 300 cars (SE4A) the 3 litre Essex V6 for the second series of 590 cars (SE4B) while the last range (SE4C) received a 2.5 litre V6.

Production of the Coupe stopped in 1970. In the meantime Reliant had come up with a shooting brake version of the car, dubbed Scimitar GTE SE5. It was presented in 1968 and became an instant hit. In various versions the car would remain in production up to 1986. Engines were again the traditional Ford V6s. In 1975 the SE6 version appeared, which had a 10 cm longer wheelbase and a wider track, but lost out in the roadholding department. The SE6A from 1979 got things back on track. The GTC version was a four seater cabriolet which appeared in 1980.

For a small outfit like Reliant, from 3 wheel car fame in the first place, the Scimitar was a great success. The SE5 managed 9416 units, the SE6 4857 and also 443 Cabriolets were made. Popularity in the UK was enhanced by the fact that it was the private vehicle of Princess Ann, who used 9 different models in the process…..

The car still has a lot of followers and surprisingly quite a few have been converted to V8 propulsion, using the ubiquitous Rover V8, but also bigger Ford or Chevrolet engines.

Shown here are a few SE5s at the Silverstone Classic 2006, including a V8 conversion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

As yu might know,i 've been looking somewhat seriously to buy one a year ago. Unfortunately it had a little bit too much of work and the asking price was too high. It had to be compeltely repainted, a little rust removement from the chassis and a new starter engine. A known weak spot are the window rubbers and the suspension arms.. (whats the correct english name for it...?). It isnt very sensitive for rust as other cars,because of it's fiberglass body. The paint on the roof tends to suffer quickly on these cars,because of that fiberglass body...

The Scimitar clubs are (as i found) always willing to help for more info. They strongly advised me not to buy the local example.
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-08-2006 at 03:47 AM.

I saw one of these Yesterday.
    I walked by and it cought my attention. Very rare to see these here in Montreal. It was in poor state, it was the exact mdel of the one in the 4th pic.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I had joined the RSSOC many years ago and had a half front made for me. Several years down the road now I am planning to put it back together...not in original form but probably Japanese running gear.It has been stored in a 40ft container and will need lots of work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcliff View Post
    I had joined the RSSOC many years ago and had a half front made for me. Several years down the road now I am planning to put it back together...not in original form but probably Japanese running gear.It has been stored in a 40ft container and will need lots of work.
    Show us some pics man

very rare car

Had a SE5 for 5 years back in the 70's, Essex V6 3 liter, manual non overdrive box, racing green. Reliable: rebuilt the engine, changed the petrol tank (rusted through) and had to change the back axle seal twice. If you buy one that has been out off use the leather (yes....) seal crackes. To get the diff drive flange off needed a big torque multiplier wrench under the car.... OK when you're young.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hellem View Post
    Had a SE5 for 5 years back in the 70's, Essex V6 3 liter, manual non overdrive box, racing green. Reliable: rebuilt the engine, changed the petrol tank (rusted through) and had to change the back axle seal twice. If you buy one that has been out off use the leather (yes....) seal crackes. To get the diff drive flange off needed a big torque multiplier wrench under the car.... OK when you're young.....
    welcome to UCP, anymore to tell about what happened next?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information