Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Iroc Concept 2006

Volkswagen Iroc Concept 2006

Volkswagen Iroc Concept#1
    Volkswagen has revealed its Iroc sports car concept at a special event in Berlin this evening. The Iroc marks the return of the Scirocco, Volkswagen’s iconic sports coupé, which made its debut at the Geneva Motor Show 33 years ago.

Even in colour, with its Viper Green metallic paint, the Iroc harks back to the Scirocco, where this exact shade was available in the 1976 model range. The Iroc has distinctive dimensions, with a very long roof and steeply sloping rear, which not only gives it an aggressive and sporting appearance, it also liberates space in the back for two adults plus luggage.

In size, the Iroc is slightly longer (36 mm) than the Golf, measuring 4,240 mm and
    41 mm wider at 1,800 mm. Its wheelbase is over 10 cm longer than that of the Golf at 2,680 mm; however with its squat coupé-like stance, it is 79 mm shorter at 1,400 mm. The Iroc has 19" alloy wheels.

The design of the Iroc is distinctive and eye-catching. It uses a Volkswagen ‘face’ which is not yet common to other vehicles in the range, though the honeycomb-shaped structure of the radiator grille is undoubtedly a link to the Golf GTI. Another notable feature is the lack of obvious A pillars, due to the wide windscreen which overlaps them at the front.

Inside, the Iroc has four seats, as well as a spacious boot of 300 litres, which can be increased if the rear seats are folded down. Despite this practicality, the Iroc has been clearly designed inside as a sports car, with features such as front bucket seats and integrated five-point seat belts with central buckle.

Most distinctive, however, are the gauges and controls in the Iroc’s cabin. Two large and newly-designed round instruments form the visual centre of the cockpit. The driver looks into two cylinders with twelve illuminated bars which create a three dimensional segmentation within the instruments.

Under the bonnet, the Iroc features Volkswagen’s ground-breaking TSI petrol technology, which uses a turbocharger and a supercharger to produce diesel-like consumption with impressive performance. Designed to maximise driving fun, the concept has a 210 bhp TSI engine, but a range of TSIs, starting from under 150 bhp, are also feasible.

The Iroc combines practicality with driving fun and expressive design in a car that as a possible series-production vehicle would be attractively positioned in price.

The Scirocco was a huge success for Volkswagen, with over half a million examples of the Giugiaro-designed first generation produced. It was launched in the UK in 1974, with the second generation following in 1981. When sales stopped in 1993, 77,460 Sciroccos had been sold in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This guy is so lazy that only one eye was left...

Volkswagen Iroc Concept#2

Volkswagen Iroc Concept#2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This guy is so lazy that only one eye was left...

thanks for the info on this concept, it looks very production ready. at least i want it to be, cause the design is super
    The design of the Iroc is distinctive and eye-catching. It uses a Volkswagen ‘face’ which is not yet common to other vehicles in the range,
    indeed!

This is on the same body as the golf? [/obvious]
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Wasnt the corrado the "successor" to the scirocco range?

It's a good enough looking concept but it looks heavy...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Same engine as the Golf GT with a turbo and a supercharger. The boost gauge reads 3 bar so I wonder how much boost they actually run in the 1.4L.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

I like the look of the VW
    Join V8SuperChat NOW!
    http://vee-eight.super-forum.net

I wouldnt be surprised if many styling cues got their way into the Golf VI They took the complaints about their design seriously,it seems !!!

Where have I seen that nose before..?

That's it: Mitsubishi Sportback Concept, anyone?

"the sirocco will be based on the 1974-1992 Golf-based hatchback coupes" according to VW chief Paul Horell (article in Motor Trend Magazine, March 2006 edition)
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    I think the front more closely resembles the hexagonal nose of the Hyundai Genus concept.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Hexagons are the de rigeur at the moment.
    Thanks for all the fish

I totally dig this car. I hope they make it. I love the old Corrados and Scircco.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    I totally dig this car. I hope they make it. I love the old Corrados and Scircco.
    I second all of that. I really love the interior...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I think it has a nice overall shape to it. The thing I don't like is the grill. That grill is hideous. I think the front end would look a lot better if that grill were more rounded. I'm not too fond of that green either.

Thread Information