Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi 5000CS Turbo quattro - Talladega

Audi 5000CS Turbo quattro - Talladega

Audi 5000CS Turbo quattro - Talladega

Rallyes never were very known or loved in the US. So, Audi couldn't use their Rallye successes which helped selling in Europe in this important export market. To demonstrate the superiority of the quattro drive, Audi had to do something else. They modified a German Audi 200 Exclusiv body and added a "5000 CS" badge. With this car Audi went to a genuine American area: speedways. The car was built according to NASCAR rules and let loose on the USA's fastest speedway: Talladega.

With turbocharging, all-wheel-drive and numerous hardly visible but extreme modifications (all complying with NASCAR rules!), the 200 succeeded in impressing the US. In Talladega the 200 with its 650hp reached a lap average of 332km/h (nearly 207mph). Thus it broke the big barrier of 200mph. On the straightaways it reached over 350km/h (over 219mph). In 1985 this time would have been enough for the first row in the starting line up. After this world-record for an all-wheel-drive vehicle on a circuit, the Audi team went on a promotion tour through the USA.

It is really hard to see all the changes that were made to this 200. It starts with a solid aerodynamic improvement. Drag was reduced by avoiding edges and ommiting the rearview mirrors. The body was lowered 40mm (about 1.6 inches), resulting in a smaller frontal area and a lower center of gravity. Downforce is created by the already known spoiler board up front and a small spoiler on the trunk lid. Spoilers cause downforce but they result in a higher wind resistance. Thanks to the aerodynamic changes, the cd-value of 0.33 could be kept.

The body panels were partially replaced: front and rear bumpers are made of Kevlar, doors and hoods are aluminium and the windows, apart from the windscreen, are made of plastic. The result is an impressive weight of only 1072kg.

In the banked curves unbelievable forces lie on man and machine: The Audi gets pushed to the surface with 2.2g (2.2 times its weight) while it is dragged to the outer curve by 1.6g! These forces result in a very hich dynamic wheel load on the outer tires. With higher wheel loads you can transmit higher forces through the area of street/tire contact, but an equal distribution of wheel loads is desired, especially for the tires. (The function is degressiv: More load gets you better grip but even more need for grip. So lighter is better, simply spoken. Or an example: If the vehicle weight doubles at the same speed, the centrifugal force doubles, too. but the tires can only transmit less than double the force.) One way to solve the problem of load transfer is by stiffer springs on the outer tires and softer springs on the inner ones. The difference in their sping rate is up to 60N/mm. Thus the rolling effect can be lessened. In this process, the car leans over towards the outer side and the center of gravity gets lifted, resulting in a growing lever arm for the forces. That leads to a further lift of the inner tires (so, more unbalanced wheel loads...).

Even more important is the weight distribution. As much weight as possible should lie on the inner half of the car. So the static wheel load is unbalanced on purpose. By shifting weight to the inner side Audi tried to balnce the dynamic wheel loads. Oil- and fuel tank are placed on the left as is the battery. Even engine, gearbox, drive shaft and the diffs are mounted 50mm (nearly 2 inches). So new shafts had to be made and the whole underbody had to be adapted. Even the driver had to move: he now sits farther left and 200mm (about 16 inches) farther back, which lead to new padals and steering column. The result: 58% of the weight lie on the front axle and 53% on the inner wheels.

The tires are of a prett
    y normal size, but tires larger than those 10inchers would not have fitted. Michelin first feared that the tires would not stand the stress. But they tested them in their lab and ended the test run at 450km/h (280mph) caused by their fear -for their lab! So it was clear, that the tires would stand up to the test. "Narrow" tires also have the advantage of a lower wind resistance.

The engine only reached 7200rpm at 350km/h, while it could have gone up to 7700 rpm. If the track had to much narrow bends or the gear box was too "long", is unknown. The secret of the engine lies probably in its cylinder head. Not much was told about it, except that it derived from the standard 20V. It was rumoured that it had a valve angle of 47degrees instead of the 25 of the Sportquattro.

-----

1. Turbo Quattro Power - At 650-horsepower, this turbocharged, intercooled engine is the most powerful five-cylinder, gasoline automobile engine ever built.
    2. The Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro’s record runs at Talladega were aided by the combination of the vehicle’s low-drag aerodynamics and the high performance stability of all-wheel drive.
    3. Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro front view.
    4. Record Holder - On March 24, 1986 this Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro set a one-lap closed course speed record for four-wheel drive vehicles at Talladega Speedway. The Audi with Bobby Unser at teh wheel, reached a one-lap average speed of 206.825 mph over teh 2.66 mile high-banked superspeedway.
    5. The record-setting Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro at speed with Bobby Unser at the wheel.
    6. Aerodynamic Audi Record Car - Relatively few external body changes were necessary to prepare the aerodynamic Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro to run at speed over 200 mph. A small rear spoiler was added, a front air dam was fitted. Lower sill and floorpan changes were made to smooth airflow under the body.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vaigra; 10-11-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Audi 5000CS Turbo quattro - Talladega #2
    Last edited by Vaigra; 10-11-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Being nice since 2007.

Audi 5000CS Turbo quattro - Talladega #3
    Last edited by Vaigra; 10-11-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Being nice since 2007.

Thats freakin' sweet. They should have actually ran in NASCAR for a couple years. That would be a great marketing ploy in this country, especially now, the US doesn't really watch Rally or DTM so why not?

Wow
    That is the sweetest thing I have seen in many days
    What a cool "sliced-engien-setup"
    Thanks for the great pics Asif

Edit: and a great article to I've read it now
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 10-11-2006 at 12:24 PM.

I actually couldn't speak for a couple of seconds when I saw those pictures.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Formidable engineering feat. Why did they never run it in NASCAR? They were sure to win! maybe reliability was an issue.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Sounds like they just popped the latest Group B derived engine from the Pikes Peak Quattro and popped it in there. Rumour has it that the engineers were working on an engine approaching 1000bhp, but it had a disturbing tendency to go straight in the corners.

PEOPLE!

NASCARs must have naturally aspirated pushrod engines AND have to have been built IN THE UNITED STATES. So stop asking.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    PEOPLE!

NASCARs must have naturally aspirated pushrod engines AND have to have been built IN THE UNITED STATES. So stop asking.

I think it's a wicked car. If it was a girl, I'd do things with it.

Looks awesome. I bet it would have decimated all on the track

very nice car

The pictures have me speechless. I'm wondering how it must be working.
    Last edited by handfore; 10-21-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling

talladega racing experience[/color]
    I was at lowes motor speedway this year just before talladega and it seemed liked the crowds definately were not what they used to be.
    I want to do the Racing School | Race Car Driving | NASCAR Driving Experience | Talladega, but dont know which company to pick anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: You are quoting who?
    Last edited by henk4; 11-17-2010 at 01:17 PM.

since it's been bumped anyway..
    i want this car.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Hello

Do anyone know how much of this cars had exist??

Greetings
    Rallyeheart

Thread Information