Thread: Giannini Monza

Giannini Monza

Giannini is a well known company that made its business out of converting/upgrading existing smaller Fiat models, and is still offering the 695 models today (based on the old Fiat 500).
    Enter the Lombardi company, which was in the same line of business as Giannini, but went a little bit further by offering complete new models on the basis of Fiat mechanicals. One of the more known ones is the Lombardi Grand Prix, which was a wedge shaped coupe, presented in 1968. The car was reasonably successful, in spite of the limited engine size and horsepower, the first versions got 34 bhp out of 840 cc, while a more powerful, but smaller 813 cc engine produced 52 BHP.
    In 1970 Giannini presented a Targa version of this car at the Turin Motorshow. It looked the deal, but still it did not make it into series production. Only two prototypes were made, of which one featured at the 2006 RM auction in Monterey. Interestingly it claimed to have a 70 BHP engine but still from the 813cc unit. It is not known whether this is an original Giannini feature, or whether the additional horsepower was “found” at a later date. The two cars were not build by Giannini, but by OTAS, a company with a breathing spell that lasted only from 1969 to 1971.

Another, and probably better known version of the Lombardi Grand Prix, is the Abarth Scorpione, which sported a 1300 cc engine, and was given a stronger chassis as well to deal with the increased horsepower. Other Grand Prixs are know to have been fitted with Simca 1000 engines.

So here is the Giannini Monza Targa, believed to be the only one still in existence. Despite of its rarity it failed to attract much interest and was sold for 16,500 US$, about 50% below the auctioner’s estimate. Unfortunately for the owner it was a “no-reserve” sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

what low production sometimes means

While low production makes a car more desirable for collectors, sometimes it just means very few people wanted one or thought it was worth the asking price.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but personally I can't imagine many people think this one is pleasing. The coupe was much nicer looking and of course more rigid.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pantdino
    While low production makes a car more desirable for collectors, sometimes it just means very few people wanted one or thought it was worth the asking price.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but personally I can't imagine many people think this one is pleasing. The coupe was much nicer looking and of course more rigid.

Jim
    It could also simply have been a pricing matter, or real lack of production capability. But of course, there were nicer cars around at that time...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Here's one OTAS badged model sold by Bonhams at the 2010 Greenwich Concours d'Elegance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, any idea about the selling price? (also in relation the the estimate?)

According to Bonham's site, it sold for $28,080 including buyers premium. Cheeky little car.

The car is technically based on the Fiat 850. A Giannini modified engine was available as an option which had about an extra 6bhp.

Thread Information