Thread: Triumph Spitfire

Triumph Spitfire

The Triumph Spitfire was presented in 1962, and was created on the wave of success that was encountered by its major competitors, the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Compared to these cars, the Spit was a bit larger and had a bit more power under the bonnet. On top of that the car used the chassis and most of the mechanicals of the Triumph Herald, which not only gave it a ludicrously small turning circle, but also the swing axles that could not always cope with sharp cornering.

The body was designed by Michelotti by then the house-stylist of the company.

The Mk1 Spitfire 4 (for 4 cylinders) had a 63 BHP 1147 cc engine and was replaced by the Mk2 in 1965, which had the same engine but 4 BHP more. Mk1 production was 45733, while the Mk2 production stopped in 1967 after 37409 cars were made.

The 1967 introduced Mk3 had a 1296 cc engine, and with 75 BHP, performance figures really became acceptable, and the car could now reach 100 mph. Outward changes included a new wrap around front bumper and a new grille, which was largely hidden behind this new bumper. Production lasted another three years and 65320 units were made.

The one but final version was the Mk4, whereby Michelotti did a little bit more to update the body lines, but strangely enough the engine output was reduced to 63 BHP again, the same figure as the original Mk1. The gearbox was now fully synchronised, and the rear wheel suspension was significantly improved, applying the changes that were necessary to keep the much more powerful GT6 safely on the road.

In 1973 a 1500 cc US export version was introduced, which replaced the Mk4 in the other markets in 1974. Mk4 production ended after 70,021 cars, and the 1500 version became the most prolific with 95829 units produced at the end of the line which came in 1980.

All in all this was, and still is, a very affordable entry sportscar, of which good examples are still around.

Shown here is a 1969 Mk3, which visited the 2006 Concours d’Elegance at Het Loo. It is fitted with the overdrive system that was already available on the Mk1, and shows an elegant way how to deal with small children in a sportscar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The early spits and GT6's are IMO some of the more beautiful of the lower priced british sportscars. I've always wanted a GT6, but around here they seem to be either in too good of shape to afford or completely abandoned. A shame.
    http://www.torontotriumph.com/gt6-feeley.jpg

I knew of someone who put a huge Rover V8 into one ... from what I heard it was an utter brute afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    I knew of someone who put a huge Rover V8 into one ... from what I heard it was an utter brute afterwards
    Why not just get a stag?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Why not just get a stag?
    They aren't as good in reality as they should be in theory. Also prone to overheating. Same engine I believe, though (the Buick/Rover 3.5L). TR tried to create something to compete with the Mercedes' SL's of the era and really it wasn't a bad effort considering the looks of the car.

I like these engines, but if I were doing a conversion I think I would use either a small block V8 or the GM V6 from the Camaro/Firebird of the 80's. I actually have one of those V8's in my garage right now, but I'm just storing it for someone else. They went into the MGB GT V8, the Stag, and various Land Rovers until just a few years ago after beong bored and stroked to 4 litres. Here's the engine and my special engine transport unit!

Quote Originally Posted by mattmacklind
    They aren't as good in reality as they should be in theory. Also prone to overheating. Same engine I believe, though (the Buick/Rover 3.5L).
    that is a common misunderstanding, the Stag engine was a complete in-house design, made up by joining two four pots. It did have a tendency to overheat, as it was not properly developed in the beginning. Most of those complaints were ironed out and today a good Stag is quite a reliable motorcar.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 11-01-2006 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Just fixed your quote tag.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information