Thread: Lagonda 3 Litre

Lagonda 3 Litre

The Lagonda 3 litre was the last regular car under the Lagonda badge, after David Brown bought the marquee in 1947. The 3-litre was the successor of the 2.6 and was introduced in 1953. One of the main features remained the DOHC engine, originally designed by W.O. Bentley for Lagonda and now enlarged to three litre, producing 140 BHP.

The first version of the 3-litre was a two door coach, followed by a drophead coupe in 1954 as well as a sedan. The main handicap of the car was its weight, while also the price made competing with Jaguar almost impossible. Production ceased in 1957, but the sedan Series II was further improved in 1956 by installing a floor shift system. In total 430 3-Litres left the factory. Bodywork was done by Tickford, the famous coachbuilder that was also taken over by David Brown in 1955.

The name Lagonda was revived in 1961, when Aston Martin launched the four door Rapide, of which ultimately 55 were built over a 3 year period. Then the name went to sleep, only to be used again by the famous wedge Aston Martin Lagonda Rapide.

Shown here is a painstakingly restored 1954 3-Litre Coupe model, which during a 10 year restoration process was also fitted with the later floor shift system. The proud owner brought the car to the 2006 Silverstone Classics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Then the name went to sleep, only to be used again by the famous wedge Aston Martin Lagonda Rapide.
    Just a small correction. The wedge one was called simply Aston Martin Lagonda, without the Rapide part.
    And an equally small addition. There was also another obscure car between the Rapide and the "Wedge" bearing Lagonda's name. It was the Aston Martin Lagonda V8 Saloon (1974-1976, 8 built), preceded in 1969 by the Aston Martin Saloon V8 Lagonda MP230/1 - a one-off built for David Brown.

Here's a pic of an AML V8 Saloon (left) alongside the MP230/1 (right).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

thanks, those two would be the real oddballs here
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In any case - highlights of post war UK car industry - Lagonda: a sweet name and a sweet car.

Cool car. Does anyone have any more pics of the Rapide and the other 4 door Aston? I'd love to see them.

Nice pictures of a stunning automobile. Was the coachwork done inhouse? It looks a bit Italian, and I can't quite make out the emblem on the side (Ghia??)

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    Nice pictures of a stunning automobile. Was the coachwork done inhouse? It looks a bit Italian, and I can't quite make out the emblem on the side (Ghia??)
    Tickford

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Tickford
    Great. Thanx. That shows how much I thought I knew about Italian Carrozerias

I just realized that I completely missed the 4th photo, making my previous question completely useless. DOOH!

Thread Information