Thread: Triumph 2500 PI

Triumph 2500 PI

In 1963 Triumph launched a 2 litre six cylinder family car, which sort of became a direct competitor of the Rover 2000, aiming at the same sort of upmarket clientele. The Triumph was less revolutionary, but became a reasonable commercial success. In 1968 the engine size was increased to 2.5 litres and Lucas fuel injection was also introduced. This engine was also used in the TR6. Power figures varied over the years, depending to what extent emissions regulations strangled the output. Originally the PI engine gave 132 BHP, but later only 124 BHP was available. As the fuel injection created regular problems, a carburetor version 2500 TC also became available.

After almost 122000 MK1s (including 7250 estates) a new Mark II version appeared in 1969 which had a very distinct facelift, with the front mimicking the just launched Stag, with its double headlight configuration. Production of this version lasted until 1977 and almost 195000 were made. Ironically after the hustling of the British car industry during the Seventies, its indirect successor became the Rover SD1, which also had to replace the original Rover 2000.

Although not really geared for motorsport activities the car proved to be a venerable workhorse and many participated in RAC and World Cup Rallies. Shown here is a 2500 PI that participated in the 1972 East African Safari Rallye, long considered to be one of toughest rallies in the WRC series, but now dropped from it. After meeting with several difficulties, like hitting an antilope, the car finished 13th overall and 1st in class. The car is shown here during the 2006 Silverstone Historics, where a number of former BMC competition cars were on display.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I believe my Dad owned a Triumph 2500 PI but he may have owned another Triumph model. I'll ask him as soon as possible.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Thread Information