Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover P5B

Rover P5B

The Rover P5 was introduced in 1959 and was considered as the poor man’s Bentley, providing ample British luxury at a relative low price. It was also the first Rover with a unitary chassis. Over the years the car remained virtually unchanged until replaced by the P5B model in 1967. Only front discs replaced the drums about 3 months after production started, while power steering became standard in 1960. Initially the 3 litre engine gave 117 BHP, but towards the end 136 BHP was standard.

An oddity was the Coupe version, which had a shorter and lower roof, but kept the same overall dimensions and four doors. Of both models 48541 units were made.

In 1967 the introduction of the alloy Buick engine started the tradition of the Rover V8, an engine which became very popular in various British cars until its end came when it could not meet the recent emission regulations. The initial output of the engine was 151 BHP, later increased to 161 BHP. Top speed was 190 kph (up 15 kph compared to the P5) and the car really became a grand tourer. The two body styles already used in the P5 were continued, whereby the Coupe sold almost as good as the sedan, with 9100 compared to 11,500 for the sedan. Production of both models stopped in 1973.

Shown is a P5B Coupe, which appeared during the support events of the 2006 Concours d’Elegance at Palace Het Loo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Interesting. I thought the 4-door coupes are a contemporary idea, CLS and such.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Interesting. I thought the 4-door coupes are a contemporary idea, CLS and such.
    Ha, Mercedes and new ideas
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The Rover P5 was introduced in 1959 and was considered as the poor man’s Bentley
    Interestingly enough, the P5 became a favourite method of transport for both government ministers and royalty.

Definitely one of the coolest cars on the planet.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Interestingly enough, the P5 became a favourite method of transport for both government ministers and royalty.

Definitely one of the coolest cars on the planet.
    actually, when production ended the Government bought a large number of cars, which served till about the early nineties...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    actually, when production ended the Government bought a large number of cars, which served till about the early nineties...
    I heard the police did the same thing there with the Rover SD1.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    I thought the 4-door coupes are a contemporary idea
    The definition of a '4-door coupe' itself is kinda vague already.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

My mother had a 3.0 coupe straight-6 and I cherished that car. EAN 819D was the number plate. I'd like to export one to the US but are parts really that hard to find please?

Quote Originally Posted by dacio View Post
    My mother had a 3.0 coupe straight-6 and I cherished that car. EAN 819D was the number plate. I'd like to export one to the US but are parts really that hard to find please?
    Welcome to UCP.
    I am not sure but I think that in the UK there must be a thriving club scene for these cars, and after all they were not that rare.
    I have no idea what the situation in the US could be, but if you will have to import each spare part, owning one could be an expensive hobby. Were they ever sold new in the USA?

Thank you for welcoming me :-)
    I'll try some British Car Repair shops in Southern California to see what they know.
    I did think of getting one from a reputable dealer in the UK so I could have a direct line to sourcing parts.
    Great website!
    David

Rover P5 - Page 1 - Index you'll always find UK marque clubs are really helpful. I suggest contacting them and asking for local info.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My 1960 Rover P5

Last edited by csl177; 07-29-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: removed spam links

Never take pictures with yourself in the shade.....
    Are you a dealer (as Ebay suggests?) or a private person?
    And please remove the links from your post....

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Never take pictures with yourself in the shade

Henk, what are these cars worth in Eurpoe, They are quite common in South Africa and they go for a song.......is it worth exporting them. Here they only go to the crusher..nobody wants them and its actually a nice car to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post

Henk, what are these cars worth in Eurpoe, They are quite common in South Africa and they go for a song.......is it worth exporting them. Here they only go to the crusher..nobody wants them and its actually a nice car to drive.
    Off hand I don't have a clue, but I think in the UK many have been destroyed in their popular so called auto-cross activities. A 3.5 Litre V8 might bring some more money. The guy here is asking 6900 US$ (or more). Good ones might fetch this (what is the value if a US$ these days), but I don't think there is much demand for a Mk1.

and funny to see the Ebay category under "Landrover"
    Last edited by henk4; 09-22-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Thread Information