Thread: Volkswagen Tiguan Concept 2006

Volkswagen Tiguan Concept 2006

CONCEPT TIGUAN MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW

Volkswagen has unveiled its compact 4x4, the Concept Tiguan, at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and has announced that the first examples of the SUV will be delivered to customers by the end of next year.

The first news of the Tiguan’s development came with the debut of Concept A in Berlin earlier this year. This was followed by the naming of the model in July, the result of a poll of more than 350,000 readers of magazines of the AutoBild group. This latest development in Los Angeles takes the Tiguan one step closer to production and hints strongly at how the final version could look.

Maintaining the ‘baby Touareg’ appearance of the Concept A, Concept Tiguan makes a bold styling statement. At 4.4 metres long, 1.85 m wide and 1.69 m high, it is very similar in size to the Touran compact MPV (4.4 m, 1.8 m, 1.6 m). Klaus Bischoff, who was responsible for the exterior design of the car said: ‘It was very important for us to have the car appear powerful and muscular. For us that was a higher priority than anything else. An off-roader needs a long hood and an upright position. That lends the vehicle self-assuredness and power.’

The Concept Tiguan’s ‘face’ and side profile are immediately recognisable as those of a Volkswagen, and yet they are different from all existing models in the range. The dark-anodised metallic tone of the front grille contrasts with the body colour, while a grid pattern and two dominant cross fins to the left and right of the Volkswagen roundel complete the look.

Another feature is the Concept Tiguan’s tyre design. These 19-inch prototypes, developed by Continental, have an orange radial stripe beneath the tyre profile which matches the car’s paint colour. This colour is not simply painted on: it penetrates the rubber layer as a ‘baked in’ component of the tyre’s casing. The eye-catching anthracite-coloured alloy rims are likely to feature in the production vehicle.

At the rear, the lights are integrated into the shoulder section similar to those on the Eos and Passat, while the steeply sloping tailgate extends right down to the bumpers, giving the Tiguan an unmistakably SUV design.

Inside the Concept Tiguan, the black, silver and orange colour theme continues. The vintage style black leather seats are trimmed with an orange pattern which mirrors that of the tyre tread. A panoramic sunroof adds light to the spacious interior which can seat up to five occupants, while to add versatility, the rear bench seat can slide fore and aft and be folded down to increase loadspace.

Under the bonnet, the concept car features a completely new type of diesel engine, called BLUETEC. Developed in partnership with Audi and Mercedes-Benz and presented for the first time at the LA show, BLUETEC employs a modular concept of different systems to reduce emissions significantly. One of these systems is the NOx storage catalytic converter which cuts nitrogen oxides by up to 90 per cent over current diesel units. This ‘Clean TDI’ will comply with the strictest emissions standards in the world and is one of the first components of the BLUETEC offensive.

More details on the Tiguan will be revealed in the first quarter of 2007. The car will go on sale in the UK early in 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why the orange rubber tread?

EDIT: I read the thing, still doesn't make much sense, seems stupid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Because they want to After all, it's just a concept-car..

It looks better than the Concept A.. VW's making some nice concepts...

Quote Originally Posted by McLareN
    [B]

The eye-catching anthracite-coloured alloy rims are likely to feature in the production vehicle.

This, I like

Not a bad looking car.

They should have made the other part of the tire orange instead of black, this way you can do an orange burnout
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver

EDIT: I read the thing, still doesn't make much sense, seems stupid IMO.
    also in the hummer h3t concept they said they put the color in the tires to attract kids... but i don't see why they would do that because kids would definitely not be target market

ive a feeling we'll be seeing this car again.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Apart from the ridiculous coloured tires, and garish orange I think this is pretty decent looking; for an SUV.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

This thing is beautiful. My 2004 Touareg V10TDI is looking for a stablemate.

It's ugly.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

mmm... i like it, especially the wheels. Kinda funky

all the pix in their 1600*1200 version...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Thread Information