Thread: Studebaker Champion/Commander 1950

Studebaker Champion/Commander 1950

The 1950 Studebaker modelrange created some stir when it appeared. Although the car had hardly changed compared to the previous year, the new bullet type nose made it look like a totally different car. And as it often goes, the new model was less appreciated when it was introduced, but it started to grow on people and it is now one of the more sought after cars. The nose was inspired by the upcoming airplane developments, and had to look like a propeller without wings.

The bullet nose had to give way after two years, but the Stud still became a very recognisable design, not in the least because the basic shapes were let down in 1947 by legendary Raymond Loewy, who was not afraid to go for different solutions.

Basic models available were the Champion and the Commander, whereby the Commander had a slightly longer wheelbase and length. In 1950 both models had an inline sidevalve 6 engine (2.8 liter for the Champion, and 4.0 liter for the Commander). In 1951 the Commander was fitted with an OHV V8, which actually had a lower cubic capacity (3.8 litre) than the 6 it replaced. Power ranged from 130 and 140 BHP for the sixes, and 150 for the V8.

Both models could be had in different version, ranging from 4 door sedans (with suicide rear doors) and two door Coupes and Cabriolets. Production figures for both models (all body styles) in 1950 and 1951 are 270604 and 146226 for the Champion and 72560 and 124329 for the Commander, clearly indicating that the V8 Commander lured many clients away from the cheaper Champion models.

Shown here are a 1950 Commander Coupe and an even rarer Convertible. The Coupe was present at the Concours d’Elegance at Palace Het Loo in 2006, while the Convertible is shown during the same event in 2004, and also at Retromobile in 2006
    Last edited by henk4; 01-08-2007 at 11:46 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I've said it a million times before, and I'll say it again.

Fantastic stuff, Pieter!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    I've said it a million times before, and I'll say it again.

Fantastic stuff, Pieter!
    thanks just trying to be your humble servant...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nice addition to the Oddball Corner. Don't you just love the names they used to give cars back then?

Today is the Oddball day...

As Revo says, fabulous stuff.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah, nice work.

Is that what they call a "boattail"?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Yeah, nice work.

Is that what they call a "boattail"?
    a boattail is pointed. Look for the Auburn Speedster and you what it is.

Here are some photos of a 1950 Studebaker Champion I took at a local garage.

Madman of the People

Thread Information