Thread: AMC Hurst SC/Rambler 1969

AMC Hurst SC/Rambler 1969

1969 ½ AMC Hurst SC/Rambler

American Motors wasn´t the first manufacturer to stuff its biggest engine into its mid-size model, but it was the first without enough money to properly promote its potent new package.
    Too bad, because the junior muscle car that AMC made out of its 1969 Rambler Rogue was indeed potent. So: Lacking money for effective advertising, AMC made a billboard of the car itself.
    Starting with a basic Rogue hardtop in plain appliance white, they plastered the bodysides with brilliant red paint, bolted on bright mag wheels, blacked out the grille and tail panel, and hung racing mirrors on the doors. The middle of the hood was fitted with a shirtbox-sized fiberglass scoop, the leading edge of which jutted skyward about 10 degrees, like the nose of a haunt who´s caught the scent. Then they slapped the word “AIR” in red letters on either side of the scoop.
    Really getting into the spirit now, they painted on the leading edge of the hood – as being sucked up by that hound-snout scoop – a 12 inch wide blue arrow inset with six inch crimson-coloured characters that read “390 CU. IN”. The arrow continued over the roof and down the trunk lid as a big, blue racing stripe.
    This was the 1969 ½ AMC SC/Rambler-Hurst. That was its official name, most just called it the Scrambler. And scramble it did, running the quarter mile in the low 14-second range.
    Just 500 SC/Ramblers were slated for production, and at a price few could pass up - $2998 delivered, ready for the road or the strip. The only option was a $61 dealer-installed AM radio.
    Drivetrain and running gear inlcuded the 315-horsepower, four-barrel 390 V8 lifted directly out of the AMX. It had a heavy-duty cooling system and a powerflex fan that flattened out at higher speeds to conserve power. Backing this up was a Borg-Warner four-speed manual gearbox with a T-handle Hurst floor shifter, 3.54:1 rear-axle gearing and Twin-Grip limited-slip-differential. Topping it all off was a straight-through dual exhaust system.
    The suspension, with front coils and rear leaf springs, boasted heavy-duty shocks, anti-sway bar and twin torque links at the rear to prevent axle hop. Rolling stock consisted of six inch wide mag-style wheels and E70x14 Goodyear Polyglass Red Line biasbelted tires. The AMX´s optional heavy-duty braking system was a Scrambler standard and consisted of 11.2 inch Bendix front discs augmenting rear drums.
    The interior featured reclining bucket seats in charcoal grey vinyl and a woodrimmed steering wheel. Instrumentation was standard Rogue, but with a Sun 8000-rpm tachometer strapped hotrodder-style to the steering column.
    The first 500 SC/Ramblers received the “Yankee Doodle”graphics. After they sold out, an additional 1000 or so were run off, about half with the original graphics and half with narrower red and blue stripes. A total of 1512 Scramblers were built. Road Test Magazine noted : “Although the SC/Rambler doesn´t create the world´s best visual impression, when it comes down to the business of to go and stop, this little machine comes on with the best.”
    Sharp of them to notice.

1969 ½ AMC Hurst SC/Rambler Facts At A Glance

Engine type : V8 AMC
    Displacement (cid) : 390
    Horsepower @ rpm : 315 @ 4600
    Torque (lbs/ft) @ rpm : 425 @ 3200
    Compression rate : 10.2:1
    Bore (in.) : 4.17
    Stroke (in.) : 3.75
    Valve lifters : Hydraulic
    Availability : 1969

Road Test, Car and Driver, May 1969

Times:
    0-60 mph (sec) : 6.3
    0-100 mph (sec) : 15.8
    ¼ mile (sec) : 14.7 @ 96.3 mph
    Top speed (mph) : 114 (test)
    Axle ratio : 3.54:1

Source :
    Collecticle Automobile – Muscle Cars of the Sixties – November 1995
    Attached Images Attached Images

that shape lived on in the Argentinian built Torino.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Looks completely over the top.

Great.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Looks completely over the top.

Great.
    You´re right - It is over the top.
    Anyway, I like this kind of old muscle cars very much.
    I own more then 20 of them... in 1/18 scale that is.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 04-03-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that shape lived on in the Argentinian built Torino.
    right...

Ika Torino, Buenos Aires.

Glad to see you guys talking about one of the coolest american muscle cars of all time,1969 Hurst SC/Rambler.
    AMC did put out a ad for the SC/Rambler and at the top in big letters it said,
    A Rambler that does the quarter mile in 14.3. They even told you if you added a few simple bolt-on AMC performance parts you could have the SC running the quarter mile in 12's !!!! One of these parts was the AMC part number CROSS-RAM Intake .
    My B-paint scheme SC is a unrestored car which is running the Cross-Ram Intake. The car was running the 1/4 mile in 12.61 back in the day and was a eight time class winner at Keystone raceway near Pittsburgh Pa.
    Please check out all the history on these rare cars at the Hurst SC/Rambler registry at ,www.amazingmusclecars.com . The page for my SC/Rambler is,
    http://www.amazingmusclecars.com/151...mattwilson.php
    Here is a image of a painting that auto artist Danny Whitfield did of my SC in front of the Quaker Steak & Lube restaurant . My SC has been on display in this restaurant for winter but will soon be on the road again laying rubber.

My SC on display in the restaurant,

Amc part number Cross-Ram intake on the AMC 390 V8 .

Hope you take the time to check out the history of these rare and fast muscle cars at the above site. You find videos of my SC there as well.
    Thanks,
    Matt Wilson
    Last edited by matt69scrambler; 04-13-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi View Post
    right...

Ika Torino, Buenos Aires.
    Where in the world did you dig up that pic from? Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777 View Post
    Where in the world did you dig up that pic from? Awesome!!!
    well... I took it.

Hurst Rambler
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The Scrambler #3
    Visca Catalunya!

The Scrambler #4