Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deco Rides Generation 2 Boattail Speedster

Deco Rides Generation 2 Boattail Speedster

Similar car designed by Chip Foose here

(from Deco Rides)

The Generation Two DECO RIDES Boattail was inspired by Cook's favorite coachbuilders, two Italians with a shop in Paris. In all automotive history, stylist Joseph (Guiseppi) Figoni and financial partner Ovidio Falaschi achieved the greatest notoriety for their incredibly beautiful but sometimes over the top streamlined custom coachwork. In almost 30 years from the 1930's to 1950's, Figoni & Falaschi produced about 1,150 coachbuilt bodies on Delahaye, Delage, Talbot Lago, and even Duesenberg chassis. Envious competitors coined their work as "Phony and Flashy", but their impact on automotive styling was incredible. The fully enclosed streamlined "pontoon" fenders on DECO RIDES' Second Generation boattail speedster shown here were inspired by and copied from a Figoni designed 1937 Delahaye that is valued at more than a million dollars.

Originally designed as a full fender car, Cook experimented, creating an open-wheel highboy version of the car. Built using a wrecked 1997 Corvette as the basis, Superior Custom Classics in Hudson, FL created the highboy. A Fat Man Fabrications front suspension, a radically laid back, slightly curved windshield, and aluminum grille were used. Cook thought it would be funny to make the boattail look like a vintage Chris Craft, Gar Wood or Riva speedboat. At his direction, Melissa Brandl of SCC laminated 1/8-inch thick, 48-inch wide sheets of oak veneer (real wood), and bonded them to the top surfaces of the DECO fiberglass Boattail body using contact cement.

After Melissa stained the wood with mahogany, Car Classics of Port Richey, FL, who also did the bodywork prep for paint, masked off the white calking lines on the top of the body and sprayed the rest of the car maroon. The car was sent to One Off Technologies in Gilford, NH where Steve Pierce installed a BMW leather interior and fabricated a folding top that tucks away in the trunk. The next step in the evolution of this car involved Mike Ball of Goshen, IN building a set of bucks and fiberglass molds for the enclosed pontoon fenders. Gary Brown of Brown's Metal Mods in Indianapolis mounted the fenders and solved the challenge of making the front wheels and tires steer lock-to-lock inside the pontoons.
    Deco Rides Website

picture set #1
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

-Carrol Shelby

One word: gorgeous!

It's simply stunning. I wonder how it would feel like, a car with a classic body and a modern heart.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Also, I have larger high-res images that are above 1-meg. If anyones interested in them, pm me.
    -Carrol Shelby

as a fan of delahaye and figoni et falaschi, i thought initially it was a great design. then as i looked a bit more, i realized just how awful it was. the fenders are great, and the roof line as well. the details are what ruins it.

the tail pipes are horrid. the grill is way too curved and steeply raked. the interior is crap; if you build a car with a classy exterior, then it needs to have a classy interior, and the cheap looking wood and the tacky fish don't do this. nor does the rubber shift boot that looks like it was lifted off a 1987 gmc truck or the the 1800 parts-r-us gauges.

it has the makings of being a very nice car, but the shoddy execution lets it down.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    ...the rubber shift boot that looks like it was lifted off a 1987 gmc truck...
    Agreed. That is what I thought when I first saw it. However I dont agree with the cheap looking wood. I think the wood looks rather fantastic.
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the interior is crap; if you build a car with a classy exterior, then it needs to have a classy interior, and the cheap looking wood and the tacky fish don't do this. nor does the rubber shift boot that looks like it was lifted off a 1987 gmc truck or the the 1800 parts-r-us gauges.
    I don't want to be a bit rude or something. But to me it seems that many American cars look great, until you get a look at the interior. All I can say it's a bit a shame these kind of cars suffer from the same symptom's.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Agreed. That is what I thought when I first saw it. However I dont agree with the cheap looking wood. I think the wood looks rather fantastic.
    i meant specifically on the dash.. the rest of the wood on the car is very nice indeed
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

please keep other car pictures and non-thread-related car information out of the thread. If you want to discuss that car, please create a new thread or link it to an existing thread.
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 10-30-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    -Carrol Shelby

This thread just earned you rights to post in the Hide-Out. Gorgeous!
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information