Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 (E92) American Le Mans Series (ALMS) 2009

BMW M3 (E92) American Le Mans Series (ALMS) 2009

BMW RETURNS TO ALMS WITH THE LATEST GENERATION BMW M3
    02/06/2008

BMW of North America to partner with Rahal Letterman Racing for 2009 season

Chicago, IL/Woodcliff Lake, NJ - February 6, 2008... BMW presented the racing version of the new BMW M3 at the Chicago Auto Show. Powered by a 485 bhp eight cylinder engine, this impressive race car has been designed to compete in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) beginning in 2009. The car is based on the fourth generation of the BMW M3, the high-performance sports car produced by BMW M GmbH.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen says: "With the sporting genes of the production BMW M3 being clearly evident, developing a racing version of the car was the next logical step. The fact that the road-going vehicle is fitted with a V8 engine as standard provided us with an ideal base. However, the BMW M3 is more than a race car, it has achieved legendary status amongst race fans across the globe. I am convinced that this unique story of the BMW M3 racing cars will now be expanded upon by the addition of further chapters."

BMW's 2009 entry into the American Le Mans Series will be driven by a partnership between BMW of North America, LLC and Rahal Letterman Racing, co-owned by US motorsport legend Bobby Rahal.

"We are very pleased to be returning to the American Le Mans Series with our latest generation BMW M3," states Tom Purves, Chairman and CEO, BMW of North America. "Sports car racing has been part of BMW of North America's history practically from day one. Just two weeks after the company was incorporated in March 1975, a BMW CSL won the Twelve Hours of Sebring. We are confident that the fourth generation M3 will continue the legacy of its two predecessors which combined to win six manufacturer's championships over nine seasons in US sports car racing. As it has been in the past we believe the ALMS is the ideal venue to showcase the potential of the newest BMW M3."

Echoing that sentiment Bobby Rahal adds, "BMW has an illustrious racing heritage. Rahal Letterman Racing is eagerly anticipating, not only becoming part of that heritage, but helping to enhance it. Our dedication to this project will be without equal and we look forward to racing at the front of the grid with BMW in the years to come."

# # #

Technical Specifications BMW M3 Race Version.

Weight: 2,535 lbs./1150 kg
    Tank capacity: 29 gallons/110 Liters
    Chassis/body: Unitary construction steel body with welded safety cell made of extremely rigid precision steel tubing; safety fuel tank in CRP sandwich tray; pneumatic four-stamp jack system

Aerodynamics: Front fenders, rear apron, hood, roof, trunk lid, rear wing, front wings, and flared rear wheel arches in CRP

Transmission: Carbon fiber clutch with hydraulic central slave cylinder;
    6-speed sequential racing transmission with straight-cut, unsynchronized gears;
    additional oil/air cooler; quick shift system with ignition cut-out controlled by shifting force; mechanical limited slip differential with additional oil/air cooler

Front axle: Based on production version, with increased wheel caster angle, enlarged track width and enhanced wheel camber; five-way adjustable shock absorbers; tubular stabilizer bar

Rear axle: Based on production version, with enlarged track width and enhanced wheel camber; five-way adjustable shock absorbers, tubular stabilizer bar

Front brake system: Six-piston aluminum brake calipers, inner-vented grey-cast iron brake disks 15.0 in./380mm in diameter
    Rear brake system: Four-piston aluminum brake calipers, grey-cast iron brake disk, 13.1 in./332mm in diameter
    Steering: Rack and pinion steering with electro-hydraulic power
    Wheels: Aluminum wheels, 18 inches

BMW P65 Engine.

Type: Eight cylinder, V-configuration

Capacity: 3999 cc
    Bore x stroke: 92 x 75.2 mm/3.62 x 2.96 in.
    Max. output: approx. 485 bhp
    Max. torque: approx. 368 lb-ft/500 Nm
    Cylinder block: Aluminum cylinder block construction with bed plate lower section
    Crankshaft: Steel crankshaft
    Pistons: Forged skirt pistons
    Conrods: High-performance steel
    Cylinder head: Aluminum DOHC (Double Over Head
    Camshaft); four valves per cylinder
    Valve train: Four overhead chain-driven camshafts, valve actuation via rocker arms
    Intake system: Eight throttle valves, made of CRP with load-charge optimized ram tubes
    Exhaust system: Headers, mufflers
    Fuel system: Single cylinder multi-point injection
    Lubrication: Dry sump lubrication
    Cooling: Water/air cooler and oil/water heat exchanger
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats very hot.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Well i like the front, i think it looks much more purposeful than the E46 GTR, but the rear?? what the hell is going on with those vents at the back?? Still cant argue with the fact that, on paper, it looks like it will be highly competitive as the E46 was.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    thats very hot.....
    Ditto that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    Well i like the front, i think it looks much more purposeful than the E46 GTR, but the rear?? what the hell is going on with those vents at the back?? Still cant argue with the fact that, on paper, it looks like it will be highly competitive as the E46 was.
    Brake cooling ducts?

The hot air from the brakes needs to escape somewhere, but the main reason for those vents will be to extract the high pressure air from the wheel arch, which slows the flow running down the side of the car. I find it interesting that there is no apparent diffuser, I suspect that white flat floor at the rear is either missing strakes, or a dummy until the car hits the grid.

Damn sexy looking car though!! Wonder if they'll do a GTR Strassenversion (spelling?) like they did with the E46.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    I didn't think the GTR was competitive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisEvo View Post
    Damn sexy looking car though!! Wonder if they'll do a GTR Strassenversion (spelling?) like they did with the E46.
    Probably not since the standard car already has the V8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I didn't think the GTR was competitive at all.
    It was so competitive they banned it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It was so competitive they banned it.
    In what series? They got eaten by GT3s in the ALMS.

EDIT:

Just did some investigating. They were banned with good reason - the early GTRs were in violation of the spirit of the rules with V8s.l

That being said, the works BMW team managed to beat privateer Porsches even when they ran with I6s in 2001.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 02-07-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Have they banned rear diffuser in ALMS for 2009? Because I doubt this design is better than one with rear diffuser like the DBR9
    Life is too short to stay, race!

Gora Euskadi! Visca Catalunya!

My new background. I am so excited to see it on the track.
    "Don't have phone sex, you could get hearing AIDS"

Quote Originally Posted by mikelzapi3 View Post
    Have they banned rear diffuser in ALMS for 2009? Because I doubt this design is better than one with rear diffuser like the DBR9

Different class, DBR9s are for GT1 class, with the C6.R Vette and such, whereas this is for GT2, with the GT3 RSRs and F430 GT....

F430 GT, GT3 RSR don't have a "real" rear diffuser either, just an up swept engine bottom cover that's kinda like what the BMW has....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I want this in black.. would look positively scary on a highway.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Different class
    Thank you, I thought all production based cars competed in the same class...So I would like to see a GT1 class M3, it would be interesting

The land of the free and home of the whopper!
    Nice, good to see BMW re-entering into the ALMS.
    roflcopter

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I want this in black.. would look positively scary on a highway.
    seconded. hopefully the csl takes some cues from this.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information