Thread: Mosport Victoria Day Speedfest Weekend

Mosport Victoria Day Speedfest Weekend

Today my old man and I attended the Mosport Victoria Day Speedfest Weekend. Held during the May Two Four weekend (it's a long weekend for us Canucks - Monday is off in honour of good old queen Vicky), this weekend held a total of 6 races across 3 days, including two Castrol Canadian Touring Car Championship races, two SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge races, one SCCA Trans-Am Series, and the Sundown Grand Prix. The weekend marks the first major event during Mosport's 50th anniversary season

My dad and I were on hand only for Sunday's events, but man it was a lot of fun. I have been to Mosport 3 times (in the last 4 years) before - each for the ALMS event at the Grand Prix of Mosport. This was the first time I had seen any of the above racing series in person, although I had caught very brief bits of Trans-Am and WC before on Speed TV.

Anyways, we arrived just before the first race of the day - the (formerly Speed) World Challenge. 3 classes were involved - in order of fastest to slowest - GT, GTS, and TC. GT was where most of the crowd's attention was as home favourite (Canadian) Windsor, Ontario native Ron Fellows (possibly in semi-retirement? I'm not sure) was contesting the race from second on the grid in a Corvette. Ahead of him on the grid was one of the turbo AWD Volvo S60s (which were rather quiet for racecars - due to the turbos I'd figure). Ron managed to sneak by the S60 somewhere near the middle of the race and held on for the victory. In GTS John Heinricy (yes of GM/CTS-V-Nürburgring-dick-wagging-lap-time-contest fame) took the win in an old C4 Corvette. The aptly named (for the class) Scion tC took first in TC after a race long battle with a Jetta GLI and Golf GTI which was very entertaining. A solid race; one of the 911 WC GT3s was louder than all hell and just about the loudest thing I have heard at Mosport.

Up next was the Canadian Touring Car Championship race. The race was a short 30 minute sprint. There were tons of Hondas/Acuras: Civics, a CSX, an RSX, all sorts. There were two nicely liveried Castrol sponsored Genesis Coupes, an M Coupe (which won handily), two aggressive and quick Minis, two E46s, an E90 - well, a broad assortment as you can see in the pictures. The Minis were really going for it which was rather amusing.

Finally, there was the Trans-Am race, which saw a small (8 car) grid. Two of the cars were Jags (and some of the crowd were out to show their support of the manufacturer) and the rest Corvettes. Unfortunately, the points leading (up until the Mosport round) #5 A-Team liveried XK experienced problems early on, and the other Jaguar was well off the pace, leaving the Corvettes unchallenged. The orange #99 car easily took the win.

I've got some pictures below. They represent the cream of the crop - yes, sad I know, but keep in mind I am a very poor photographer and they are being taken on a several year old nonprofessional Lumix TZ1 a la:

Photographers, feel free to criticize my photography and my father's choice of camera.

1. The loud as hell GT3. 2. One of the quiet AWD Turbo S60s. 3. The cars prepare to go on their parade la.p 4. A Viper. 5. One of the GT-Rs, which were not very competitive. Note the screaming monkey. 6. The Lotus, of which my dad commented that it's engine sounded like "one of those RC planes."
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. A TSX. 2. The #13 Viper. The Viper team had some sharp black flags with the twin red parallelogram hash marks. Cool, and off topic too! 3. WC GT3. I was wondering if these were GT3 cup cars or what - on they back it said WC GT3. 4. GT3s. 5. More GT3s. 6. A GT-R driving down the hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm, I gotta halt for now. I have to figure out how to change the resolution of these pictures en masse - I have no image editing software really (I actually buy my programs/music instead of stealing or "sharing/downloading" them) and had I any programs, I would not know how to use them. I am a simple man.

If any of you know what to use, (GIMP maybe?) or how to change the resolution of pictures en masse, give me a word here or via PM. I will also be asking my dad and friends who are better with things than I am.

Yes, I know this is sad.

EDIT: Resized in gallery. Commence more photos!

1. A TSX from the front this time. 2. The TC battle. 3. TC RX-8. 4. #8 Trinrico Trans-Am Jag in the pits. 5. GT-Rs after the battle. 6. Raised Viper and cool Dodge flag.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 05-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.

1. Cockpit of a GT3. 2. Ditto 3. Tach of a GT3. 4. GT3 wing. 5. Race stained front end. 6. Wiring in the back end of a 911.

1. Porsche badge. 2. A Pennsylvania R32. 3. Viper in the pit lane. 4. The really slow Nissan (Sentra I think?) 5. BMWs. 6. An E46.

1. Civic and RSX - internecine battle. 2. Der slow Golf 3. The (Christmas) Castrol Genesis and slow Sentra 4. Honda and Audi 5. Internecine battle part 2 6. Civic and 3 Series

1. The other sweeter looking Genesis 2. One of the two balls out Minis. 3. Towards turn 1. 4. Genesis ass. 5. The front of the Trans-Am grid. 6. The back of the Trans-Am grid.

1. 3-4. 2. Back of the line. 3. There is no plan B - there wasn't for this car either the commentator noted - they were out early with a broken spark plug. 4. 1-2 at the ready. 5. The info board. 6. The start of lap 2 and already aa gap.

1. Bosch lights. 2. A cool shot I thought. 3. Mmm... For sale '68 targa. 4. Headed to Moss. 5. The slow XK. 6. The leader all race.

Last set, hope you enjoyed! I certainly did!

1. Through the hairpin. 2. Ditto. 3. Ditto. 4. Onto the Andretti straight. 5. Ditto. 6. Ditto.

well done. I won't critisize the choice of camera, it is good enough for stationary shots, and you have to work a little with the moving ones, for which such cameras are simply not designed, but can be made to work. Just go out and try more, if only just along the road for practicing.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    well done. I won't critisize the choice of camera, it is good enough for stationary shots, and you have to work a little with the moving ones, for which such cameras are simply not designed, but can be made to work. Just go out and try more, if only just along the road for practicing.
    Thank you henk. I don't mind taking photos, but I don't want to take too many as I find it distracts me from the event. So we'll see. I will be back at Mosport this year and maybe will bring a good camera via one of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    as I find it distracts me from the event
    That's usually a problem. I had it when we went rallying. It was either taking photographs or actually watching the rally, but then you had no pics.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's usually a problem. I had it when we went rallying. It was either taking photographs or actually watching the rally, but then you had no pics.
    during a 10-15 lap race there is ample opportunity to follow the race, after five laps you have had all the cars in the cameraviewer
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information