Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > User's rides


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
"Exercising" the '66 Plymouth

I haven't started the '66 Plymouth Fury VIP (383-4 bbl) for two months so I figured I better drive it. Did that today (Friday, Jan. 6). It was a good opportunity to do a video of it "exercising." So, here it is. Left it in 1st gear for the entire burnout (speedometer going up to almost 40 mph). It was nice to hear the engine again at near full-throttle (didn't want to over-rev it).

Here is the link to the video:
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,071
Rozenburg, Holland
I hope you had the oil warmed up sufficiently before departure
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
I hope you had the oil warmed up sufficiently before departure
Oh, definitely, henk. If anything, I wait more than necessary to warm up a car. For example, I drive it (and every car I own) gently for a few miles... even on a warm day. I can't believe some people run their car hard as soon as they drive it away (when first started).

For this video, I drove it in the neighborhood but two times. Drove it the first time then parked it in front of the house and stopped the engine (I wanted to check the oil level and power steering fluid). Then drove it again before shooting the video. You know, nothing has ever happened to an engine when I've done burnouts with my cars. Probably, as you said, making sure the engine is completely warmed up is a major reason why? Of course, having enough oil helps, too.

Anyway, this is probably why I've been getting about 10.2 mpg with this car. Good thing I've only put about 1,200 miles on it in the 2 and 1/2 years I've owned it!
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 AM
thebrochureman's Avatar
thebrochureman thebrochureman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 915
England, somerset
Nice.
__________________
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
— Jeremy Clarkson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,068
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
Very nice!

I always warm it up driving "granny style" under a light load. Not only does this warm the car up faster than letting it idle, it brings the oil pressure up too. You might be able to substitute holding the RPM's up as it sits, but nothing beats load. Also helps bring your trans up to temperature. Note: your engine oil takes longer to get up to temperature than the coolant. Allow an extra mile or two after your t-stat opens for the oil to warm.
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Very nice!

I always warm it up driving "granny style" under a light load. Not only does this warm the car up faster than letting it idle, it brings the oil pressure up too. You might be able to substitute holding the RPM's up as it sits, but nothing beats load. Also helps bring your trans up to temperature. Note: your engine oil takes longer to get up to temperature than the coolant. Allow an extra mile or two after your t-stat opens for the oil to warm.
Yes, good idea to make sure the transmission temp is also warm. I do know that in very cold weather, it can take quite a while for both the transmission and rear axle temp to warm to normal operating temp. It was about 75 degrees the day I did the burnout, so warm-up time didn't take long.

Good point about the coolant oil taking longer to warm than the coolant.

And thebrochureman, glad you like the video.

I think I will make one more. I know of a corner where the sun will be at a good angle. Next time I will position the camera well ahead of the car so I will be driving toward the camera. The, I better "lay low" for a while!
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,068
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
I got my parking pass yanked for a semester in high school because I was doing burnouts in my Mustang
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I got my parking pass yanked for a semester in high school because I was doing burnouts in my Mustang
Let's see... at my high school, there were plenty of students doing burnouts. Nothing much happened. Maybe a warning from a teacher. Never heard of a parking pass being yanked.
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,068
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
Rich kids there all had BMW's with traction control and not enough torque for that shenanigens anyway. A polluting, gas guzzling old Mustang was un-PC enough, even worse when it was decorating the lot with black streaks and tire smoke
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Rich kids there all had BMW's with traction control and not enough torque for that shenanigens anyway. A polluting, gas guzzling old Mustang was un-PC enough, even worse when it was decorating the lot with black streaks and tire smoke
Oh, that's why. Well, a lot of torque is helpful.

I think the next video I make will be much better because of the different angle I plan to do and the sun will be behind the camera. But it won't be for several days because the Santa Ana winds are blowing right now (those winds blow the tire smoke away very quickly).

I really should try to find some bias ply tires, maybe at a wrecking yard. It would really spin those tires!
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
crisis's Avatar
crisis crisis is offline
Space Modulator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,060
Adelaide
Our government calls people who do that “hoons”. They have “hoon” laws that will result in you having your car confiscated and being fined for something like that. The law actually allows them to crush your car although I think they have only done it to repeat offenders. It is not enough for them to have speeding and dangerous driving laws in place because they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator ignoramus whose information and education is mainly derived from current affairs programs and shock jock radio announcers. It works well though as they have enough people swallowing this crap so that they can maintain these ridiculous laws. Basically where speeding offences and dangerous driving offences are specific and target particular offences anything can be labelled a “hoon” offence. A relatively insignificant spin of the wheels to 160kph street drags will all end up in the paper as “hoon” driving.
I would like to see the stats for death and serious injury from a burnout such as that.
__________________
"A string is approximately nine long."
Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Our government calls people who do that “hoons”. They have “hoon” laws that will result in you having your car confiscated and being fined for something like that. The law actually allows them to crush your car although I think they have only done it to repeat offenders. It is not enough for them to have speeding and dangerous driving laws in place because they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator ignoramus whose information and education is mainly derived from current affairs programs and shock jock radio announcers. It works well though as they have enough people swallowing this crap so that they can maintain these ridiculous laws. Basically where speeding offences and dangerous driving offences are specific and target particular offences anything can be labelled a “hoon” offence. A relatively insignificant spin of the wheels to 160kph street drags will all end up in the paper as “hoon” driving.
I would like to see the stats for death and serious injury from a burnout such as that.
Wow, good thing I wasn't speeding or driving dangerously!
Just wait until you see my next video!

I don't know what the stats for are for burnouts, but it's certainly less than the stats for drunk drivers.
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
thebrochureman's Avatar
thebrochureman thebrochureman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 915
England, somerset
There are no kids doing burnouts at the collage i go to in England, although most have old FWD cars. Maybe the collage I go to is just boring.
__________________
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
— Jeremy Clarkson
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Fleet 500's Avatar
Fleet 500 Fleet 500 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,778
San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
There are no kids doing burnouts at the collage i go to in England, although most have old FWD cars. Maybe the collage I go to is just boring.
Kid doing burnouts was much more common at high schools than at collages.
But it's not like it used to be because 40 or so years ago, there were many more RWD cars. And cars that made a lot of low-end torque. Oh, and bias-ply tires!

BTW, it's still windy here. All weekend, too. Have to wait before I make another video. Maybe on Wednesday!
__________________
Cadillac '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
crisis's Avatar
crisis crisis is offline
Space Modulator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,060
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
Wow, good thing I wasn't speeding or driving dangerously!
That’s just it. Hoon laws target everything the same way. And if the overlords say a burn out is dangerous, the wowsers will eagerly lap it up. Our governments play hard at making motorists who have a passion for cars and driving appear as freaks or outlaws.
Our state government refuses to allow a private company to buy swamp land (out the back of a power station next to the river where they currently hold speedboat racing) to develop into a motorsport park including a drag strip. They view motor racing as a hoon sport. All except of course the V8 supercars series which they close the Eastern side of the CBD off for to race once a year. Its high profile and they get to put their idiot faces next to the drivers and dignitaries. Hypocrites.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
I don't know what the stats for are for burnouts, but it's certainly less than the stats for drunk drivers.
lol, I don’t think there are stats for simple burnouts. I doubt anyone ever died from doing one.
__________________
"A string is approximately nine long."
Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1019 12-22-2013 10:12 PM
Really useful performance listings... Egg Nog Technical forums 58 06-20-2013 10:45 PM
Plymouth GTX 440 Six Pack Wagon Ferrer Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 7 01-03-2012 02:24 AM
New Video: '66 Plymouth Acceleration; Speedo View Fleet 500 User's rides 4 11-08-2009 02:12 AM
all cars all years 0-60 and 1/4mile time matheus General Automotive 48 12-28-2007 06:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 PM.

 

© 1998 - 2014 Ultimatecarpage.com