Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

  Ultimatecarpage.com  > Cars by brand  > Great Britain  > Aston Martin
DB2/4 Bertone Spider
Car search:
Quick Advanced 
Cars statistics: 6265 cars, 498 makes, 41264 images; Events statistics: 295 reports, 62219 images; Forum statistics: 92,364 members, 44,276 topics; more...


  Aston Martin DB2/4 Bertone Spider
 

  Article Image gallery (19) Chassis (2) Specifications User Comments (1)  
Click here to open the Aston Martin DB2/4 Bertone Spider gallery   
Country of origin:Great Britain
Produced in:1953
Numbers built:3 or 4
Designed by:Franco Scaglione for Bertone
Author:Wouter Melissen
Last updated:July 07, 2008
Download: All images
<< Prev Page 2 of 2
Click here to download printer friendly versionFrom 1951 onwards, the Works used the specifically built DB3 for racing purposes and the DB2 served as a road car only. The first major revision to the successful two-seater was the addition of two rear seats in 1953, which resulted in the aptly named DB2/4. Like the DB2, the four-seater was available as a fixed and drop head. The hard top model was the first car to ever feature a 'hatch-back', used to access the rear luggage compartment. Privateers continued to race the DB2/4 and the success in Rallies inspired the Works to prepare three examples for the 1955 Rallye Monte Carlo. One example finished first in class and the other cars' results were sufficient to win the Team Prize. Several chassis were delivered to coachbuilders to have custom bodies fitted with the 'Wacky' Arnolt commissioned Bertone Spiders as the most famous.

There was a major revision for 1956 with the introduction of the three litre version of the six cylinder engine to form the DB2/4 Mk II. It came standard with a 140 bhp engine, but there was a more powerful 165 bhp version available, which featured larger valves and a high-lift camshaft. The hatch-back was retained, but a second fixed-head model was offered with a more conventional tapered roof. Aston Martin again made the chassis available to coach builders to have them fitted with custom bodies. The most striking of these was a Spyder debuted at the 1956 Earls Cours show in London and was the work of Touring. Three cars were constructed, but sadly the anticipated orders did not come through. This first contact between the two companies was no doubt instrumental for the partnership that would start in 1958 with the DB4 and would last well into the 1960s.

Two years later, the DB2 underwent the fourth and final evolution into the DB2/4 Mk III or simply DB Mk III. While the overall design was still similar to the previous three generations, the revised and arguably improved front facia made the Mk III a lot easier to distinguish. The mechanicals were also much revised with the base engine now producing 162 bhp and front disc brakes were available for the first time. Production ceased in 1958 when the DB2 was replaced by the DB4, which featured an all new platform chassis and Tadek Marek designed 3.7 litre straight six engine. Today the DB2s are often overlooked, but they were vital for the survival of Aston Martin in those difficult Post-War years.

<< Prev Page 2 of 2

  Article Image gallery (19) Chassis (2) Specifications User Comments (1)