PDA

View Full Version : 1980 AMC Spirit

AMCoelacanth
12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Here's a place that's good as any to introduce myself and my car. I'm Martin, a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I'm a big fan of AMC. I drive a 1980 AMC Spirit with a 258 I6, and by drive I mean let it sit in the garage at home while I go to school. The modifications to my engine go as follows:
ISKY Cam, don't know the numbers off my head, but it's moderately agressive when compared to stock.

The head has been replaced with a very rare experimental head that my dad bought from an old employee of AMC, it isn't documented but it appears to have better valve springs, bigger valves and different combustion chambers and looks ported when compared to stock.

On top of the head is an aluminum valve cover, if you're familiar with the 258, also found on Jeeps of the same era, you know this is a great improvement over the leaky plastic one.

The intake is a Clifford intake that is a great improvement over stock.

On top of the intake is a 350CFM Holley 2BBL.

The ignition bypasses the lame 1980 computer and the spark is boosted by upgrading the Motorcraft ignition to TFI found on Fords of the era.

The 904 tranny that it was originally mated to was stupidly destroyed by me not understanding and respecting the significance of a kickdown linkage. The car is now awaiting the installation of 904 with a shift kit courtesy of a friend of my dad.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it has dual outlet headers of an unknown brand, they run into glass pack mufflers, no catylitic converters, woot!

And now for the pictures
I don't have those wheels on anymore, but they did look cool.

http://home.earthlink.net/~interskalactic/images/AMC/spirit/passpaint.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~interskalactic/website/amc/re6.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~interskalactic/website/amc/re7.JPG

d-quik
12-05-2004, 02:27 PM
JCP has a friend, woot woot.

Rockefella
12-05-2004, 05:19 PM
I dont know why, but for some reason I don't believe you.

AMCoelacanth
12-05-2004, 06:01 PM
What don't you believe?

cmcpokey
12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
AMC, believed to be extict for 60 million years, then discovered when a fisherman pulled one up off the coast of madascar

kko
12-05-2004, 08:39 PM
You dont belive him because its an AMC, i saw 2 yesterday.

henk4
12-05-2004, 08:44 PM
I think this is genuine, and I like your username. Somehow old AMC's get fished out of the water, (hope they don't catch the Pacer though). My unlce had a Rambler Renault in the sixties, so I do have a soft spot for the brand.

And welcome to UCP, being an AMC fan you may have to "fight" some uphill battles, although many here weren't even born when AMC went belly up :)

Spastik_Roach
12-05-2004, 09:36 PM
I like that car. Similar sort of design to an old Capri...

jcp123
12-06-2004, 01:16 AM
JCP has a friend, woot woot.

Cuz it's a young'in with an older car? Haha, I know more than a few who own classics.

Welcome to the site! I'm no AMC hater, I've always liked 'em, especially the AMX's, Javelins, and Matadors. Yours is really clean, you don't see many post-emissions regulation era AMC's at all, let alone that clean. Got any soundclips? I love the sound of an I6 through glasspacks.

Enjoy your stay!

sandwich
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Yo, nice car, I almost bought an Eagle SX4 converted to a 390 v8...pretty sweet...really mean, but a little too much car for boston.

2ndclasscitizen
03-28-2005, 04:24 AM
wow those tires that are in the photo are huge

Manik
03-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I like it, it seems to be in great condition. Wow look at that inline, is that ever cool!

jcp123
04-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey! You're pretty close to where my gf lives, she's over in Bloomington/Normal...small world.

Esperante
04-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I have to like AMC's. They had a factory in Milwaukee way back when. ;)

jcp123
04-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I have to like AMC's. They had a factory in Milwaukee way back when. ;)

Do you like Harleys? ;)

Esperante
04-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Do you like Harleys? ;)
Of course! :D
http://www.moto-station.com/uploads/678_normal.jpg

jcp123
04-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Mmmmmm, V-rod. I'm all over those. Possibly the best looking factory bike today...and hey, engine by Porsche!!

Esperante
04-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Mmmmmm, V-rod. I'm all over those. Possibly the best looking factory bike today...and hey, engine by Porsche!!
On Milwaukee TV they had a special on desinging it, and since they wanted it watercooled that had trouble fitting a radiator in with a normal Harley motor...which is where Porsche came in. In fact, Porsche actually had a very difficult time recreating the copyrighted Harley sound-notice that when one accelerates it sounds more like a 911 with a frog in it's throat, and it's not till it's idling or at a constant speed that it sounds like a Harley.