PDA

View Full Version : which country gets cheated out of the coolest cars?

kennyknoxville
12-06-2003, 02:54 PM
america

:mad:

Egg Nog
12-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Have you ever been outside of the United States? Because it has more supercars and sports cars available to buy than any other country in the world. And that's a fact. You just aren't fully aware of how good you've got it, since you're spoiled :)

Nash
12-07-2003, 03:26 AM
I think Britian probably has the best selection of supercars/sports cars. The States are up there, but there are lots of models they don't get.

Canada sucks at supercars. Apparently, there are 2 Enzos in Toronto, and I've seen a few F50s.

white devil
12-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Labanon is a gr8 place we have lot s of lamborghini{diablo,murcielago}ferraris all of kinds porsche.

but i think the best place is sweden

Egg Nog
12-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Keep in mind that Britain misses out on some cars available in the states too.

Well, if we want to find the worst country for supercars and sports cars, it's not going to be a developed ("1st world") country. I went to Nicaragua for three weeks last spring and I saw a single MR2 and a Celica GT-4. They were both owned by people considered to be extremely rich.

Falcon500
12-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Idhave to say we are fairly luckyherein australia we have at least one of mostthings and if you keep your eyes open you can see sopme very interesting excotic/import and muscle cars. But dont think places like african nations are missing outtoo much they got some very interesting machines we never got any where else int he world like the XR8 sierra (small block clevland powerd),perena ford capri (small block windsor powerd),a 327 powerd vaxual viva as well as some neat variation of some of austrlias more popular cars. Most places have some very interesting cars. Just some donmt get the more exotic.

kennyknoxville
12-07-2003, 08:42 PM
i should have elaborated.

youre right, america has a lot of "supercars" (status cars), but america is also a huge country.

US spec imports are almost always watered down.

plus youd be hard pressed to find a real factory sports car like the lotus elise, which were only getting in march. we only recently got softer versions of the STi and EVO VIII, but the 22b was on sale in europe and japan.

NSX Type R (any type R)
RX-7 Spirit R
any Cosworth
Skylines
Sylvias
Fairladys
Levins
Holdens
Peugeots
Renaults
Alfas
not to mention all the little european and japanese, gas sipping/diesel cars that would make living in big cities a lot easier

we dont even get some of the cooler cars AMERICAN car companies make...

SL500
12-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Dubai,Bahrain,Qatar,Omman,and another arabic countries in middle east
we arent arabic though
we are persian.

Egg Nog
12-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SL500
we are persian.

I don't really understand the whole "Persian" thing. I mean, Persia itself hasn't existed for hundreds of years now, so why keep up the name? For that matter, why not just call yourself Mesopotamian? ;)

megotmea7
12-09-2003, 02:19 AM
im not american, im Sioux and Aztec... ;)

Falcon500
12-09-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by megotmea7
im not american, im Sioux and Aztec... ;) Forgive my ignorence but doesnt that makeyou meaxican/native american? and isnt persia modern day turky?
Im also suprisedthatones commented on my point that every where has an interesting car of some kind...

DasModell
12-09-2003, 08:45 AM
no persia is i think a little more at east . and little more south .. somewhere .. round the persian golf .. Iraq, Iran .. in our days.. :)

SL500
12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by DasModell
no persia is i think a little more at east . and little more south .. somewhere .. round the persian golf .. Iraq, Iran .. in our days.. :)
yes,the persian gulf is in south of my country,and in the south of persian gulfs are arabic countries,such as UAE Qatar Bahrain Kuwait and.....

anyway,dont forget Bronei
Sultan(King) of Beronei owned many awesome supercars

Falcon500
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Well thank you for clearing that up DasModell and SL500. And from what i read the sultan of Bronei has owned his fare share of supercars (i used to have some info on what was contained in his garage but i cant find it now:( im pretty sure he still owns one of the BMW m1s) And the royal family of saudi aribia are other car lovers having bought nearly all the limited production of the vector weigart turbos of 85.

DiabloGTR
12-11-2003, 01:27 PM
The US is the most spoiled country when it comes to cars, but if your asking about countries that don't get cool cars, any African country, with the exception of a few probably don't get any nice cars at all.
If you've got a fat wallet the US has every car that is worth having.

fpv_gtho
12-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by kennyknoxville
i should have elaborated.

youre right, america has a lot of "supercars" (status cars), but america is also a huge country.

US spec imports are almost always watered down.

plus youd be hard pressed to find a real factory sports car like the lotus elise, which were only getting in march. we only recently got softer versions of the STi and EVO VIII, but the 22b was on sale in europe and japan.

NSX Type R (any type R)
RX-7 Spirit R
any Cosworth
Skylines
Sylvias
Fairladys
Levins
Holdens
Peugeots
Renaults
Alfas
not to mention all the little european and japanese, gas sipping/diesel cars that would make living in big cities a lot easier

we dont even get some of the cooler cars AMERICAN car companies make...

ever considered america doesnt get holden because its a brand name unique to australia? kinda like the reason japan has only recently gotten lexus

Nash
12-12-2003, 11:16 PM
North America owns.

We get the most badass SUVs and Trucks ever. We win.

fpv_gtho
12-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Nash
We get the most badass SUVs and Trucks ever.

thats a good thing?

Nash
12-14-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
thats a good thing?

Yes, it is a good thing.

Falcon500
12-14-2003, 03:38 AM
North America owns.

We get the most badass SUVs and Trucks ever. We win.
What ever floats your boat i guess.

Egg Nog
12-14-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Trucks or SUVs. It's not that I don't see their true purpose, its just that I can't make myself like it when they're such resource pigs. All I ever seem see is just a small woman driving a huge Ford Excursion to Starbucks and back. Woah, huge off-roading.

16-4Veyron
12-14-2003, 11:11 AM
what about the cayenne

Nash
12-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
I'm not a huge fan of Trucks or SUVs. It's not that I don't see their true purpose, its just that I can't make myself like it when they're such resource pigs. All I ever seem see is just a small woman driving a huge Ford Excursion to Starbucks and back. Woah, huge off-roading.

I find it funny when people say this. I don't think the Enzos and 911Ts are environmental friendly. Infact, I don't see the purprose of a $150,000 sports car, compared to a large truck that gets much better gas mileage.

Egg Nog
12-14-2003, 03:44 PM
I find it funny when people say this. I don't think the Enzos and 911Ts are environmental friendly. Infact, I don't see the purprose of a $150,000 sports car, compared to a large truck that gets much better gas mileage.

Ahhh, but these high performance cars, justifiably or not, can get away with it for their high price and rarity. You won't find an Enzo for $30,000, but you could definately find a Durango. What do you think the truck/SUV-to-sports car ration is? It's probably 20:1.

I like it when cars are used for their purpose. People who buy sports cars tend to use them for what they're made for; handling and going fast. If they get a ticket, that's their loss, but they can surely enjoy the handling of their car.

Don't get me wrong: If someone buys a truck and hauls stuff around or goes off-roading, that's awesome. No qualms there.

16-4Veyron: I'm not a huge fan of the Cayenne. The fact that it's a Porsche doesn't make me feel any different about it.

Falcon500
12-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Ahhh, but these high performance cars, justifiably or not, can get away with it for their high price and rarity. You won't find an Enzo for $30,000, but you could definately find a Durango. What do you think the truck/SUV-to-sports car ration is? It's probably 20:1.

I like it when cars are used for their purpose. People who buy sports cars tend to use them for what they're made for; handling and going fast. If they get a ticket, that's their loss, but they can surely enjoy the handling of their car.

Don't get me wrong: If someone buys a truck and hauls stuff around or goes off-roading, that's awesome. No qualms there.

My thoughts exactly

fpv_gtho
12-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Ditto

Nash
12-14-2003, 09:49 PM

Tell that to the Europeans, who usually hate "gas-guzzlers". Then they praise the E55 AMG, whic gets a horrible 11mpg.

Egg Nog
12-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Tell that to the Europeans, who usually hate "gas-guzzlers". Then they praise the E55 AMG, whic gets a horrible 11mpg.

Bottom Line: The E55 AMG hauls ass, and it's praised by basically everyone for some reason, not just the Europeans.

Despite this, I'm not a huge fan of it because for some reason they didn't bother giving it the option of a standard transmission.

Anyway, my previous points cover it. People buy an E55 (rather than an E320) so that they can have more performance. They use it for what its for. Also, how many E55s do you see compared to a given trim of a given model of SUV? Exactly.

If someone buys an E55 and drives it like someone's grandmother, that's also annoying. It's just not being put to its use.

Batmobile_Turbo
12-14-2003, 10:57 PM
that's really stupid, i think suvs are for off-roading and such. the reason why people buy these huge suvs is because they are really rich and they think they own the road when they're in a huge expensive suv, it's stupid.

Falcon500
12-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Batmobile_Turbo
that's really stupid, i think suvs are for off-roading and such. the reason why people buy these huge suvs is because they are really rich and they think they own the road when they're in a huge expensive suv, it's stupid. Most of them arnt even that rich they just Get shitty toyota ones which the use to threatan people in small cars so when they cart the kids around they can get home to their Soap operas earlier. And the blokes who do it are just posers unless like my old mans mates whoown them use them fo forwheel driving or at least use them for towing.

fpv_gtho
12-15-2003, 03:17 AM
Despite this, I'm not a huge fan of it because for some reason they didn't bother giving it the option of a standard transmission.

by standard transmission, if you mean manual transmission, its because they havent found a suitable one that can handle all of the torque

-datsun 1600-
12-15-2003, 04:14 AM
i think it is rich people being threatening why else would you have bull bars in town :rolleyes:

Egg Nog
12-15-2003, 06:05 PM
by standard transmission, if you mean manual transmission, its because they havent found a suitable one that can handle all of the torque

Maybe its just not Australian terminology, but for everyone I know here, standard = manual. It's actually kind of ironic because it seems like 90% of cars sold now are automatics. :)

It's a damn shame that Mercedes can't "find" the right tranny... I wonder why they couldn't just modify the six speed from the Dodge Viper. After all, it's all DaimlerChrysler...

fpv_gtho
12-15-2003, 06:39 PM
well the vipers transmission would have the torque capacity but it would be too rough to be used in a merc, and modifications could only do so much. their research shows most of their buyers, although wanting such a sports sedan like the E55, dont want the fuss of changing gears

Batmobile_Turbo
12-15-2003, 07:04 PM
well the vipers transmission would have the torque capacity but it would be too rough to be used in a merc, and modifications could only do so much. their research shows most of their buyers, although wanting such a sports sedan like the E55, dont want the fuss of changing gears
maybe a paddle-shift transmission would be good

Infinity
12-17-2003, 11:28 PM
My friend has a E500 with the same spec tranny. he says there is no problem with the auto tranny coz you can use it in manual mode as well. It has a similar mechanism as the porsche tiptronic only that you push the lever left or right for up or down shifts. I drove it once when collecting the car trailer. To get to 100 km/h in 4.56 secs every time you have to rule out driver error (manual changing and speed of change considered) so the auto tranny does what it's supposed to. And when you just wanna cruize the boulevard nothings better than sticking it into drive and relax. Whats also great is the suspension. You can manually raise or lower the car for added ground clearance or for ground effects. Mind you I must say DCMB have changed their stance on making heavy cars. The E500 is so fast because the car is built so light. Almost all panels feel as though you can press your thumb through it. The boot lid feels like a piece of plastic as it bends when you push down on it on one corner when closing the lid.
I guess all this helps in the crumple zones otherwise the car would not do well in the NCAP tests.

fpv_gtho
12-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Infinity
Mind you I must say DCMB have changed their stance on making heavy cars. The E500 is so fast because the car is built so light. Almost all panels feel as though you can press your thumb through it. The boot lid feels like a piece of plastic as it bends when you push down on it on one corner when closing the lid.
I guess all this helps in the crumple zones otherwise the car would not do well in the NCAP tests.

i dont think anything has changed, not then the E55 is over 1.8 tonne. all that doesnt show a good image for the build quality of the car though

crisis
12-17-2003, 11:45 PM
People who buy sports cars tend to use them for what they're made for; handling and going fast. If they get a ticket, that's their loss, but they can surely enjoy the handling of their car.

Rich people buy exotic sports cars. They are the only ones who can afford them. There would be a group in that category who are car lovers and I imagine an equally large group who buy them because they can. Accumulating them like all of the other material objects they can surround themselves with. Sports cars are as unneccessary, perhaps more so, than SUVs. SUVs do have a purpose even if some people dont use them for it. In the end you could basically say that any car that exeeds the speed limit and is larger than it needs to be to accomodate its intended passengers is unneccessary. Of course people who subscribe to this web site do not view cars as mearly modes of transport. Luckily car manufacturers feed on this and provide us with some exquisitely unneccessary vehicles to drool over.

Falcon500
12-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by crisis
Of course people who subscribe to this web site do not view cars as mearly modes of transport. Luckily car manufacturers feed on this and provide us with some exquisitely unneccessary vehicles to drool over. I cant really fault any of your statements made before but these are my favorites and you are right 90% of cars made today are over kill but of course people need larger cars have variying personality and needs as well as very diffrent budgets means that there are all the weird and wonderful cars on out roads.
The E55 is 1.8 tones and it doesnt have the support to fully hold the boot together? and dont think the car is special because you can do that i work with mutsubishis and sometimes if your not paying attention usually around the boot/bonnet area they flex while your cleaning them while it does indicate its a light consturction it doesnt ooze quality.

crisis
12-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Falcon500
i work with mutsubishis and sometimes if your not paying attention usually around the boot/bonnet area they flex while your cleaning them while it does indicate its a light consturction it doesnt ooze quality.
I am not an engineer (Misho!) but I imagine boots and bonnets do not form any part of a modern cars structural rigidity and would , on the contrary, be designed to crumple upon impact thus resulting in the seemingly flimsy result you have experienced.

fpv_gtho
12-18-2003, 05:54 PM
well i guess i should be proud of the build in my mums 98 camry then, the only bit of flex it really has in the bonnet is when my 110kg twin brother wants to sit on it

DiabloGTR
12-18-2003, 10:44 PM

Not everyone in the States loves trucks and suvs, it's just the rednecks down in the south who think they are "cool" because they own a truck.
I think trucks and suvs do have their purpose, but some people don't even need them, but still buy them. Crap like the oversized Excursion and H2.
You can't really complain much about exotics because there aren't that many out there, while there are plenty of large suvs and trucks that aren't even being used for their purpose.

fpv_gtho
12-19-2003, 03:01 AM
Sorry, but i find that hard to believe, when Ford alone with the sales of their F-150 are more than the Australian market as a whole.