PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 vs. Halo 2

Decave
12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Ok, we all know that halo 2 was a huge hit and so was half life 2. many people are completely one sided on this but i'd just like to see what a bunch of car fanatics think about which one is overall a better game.

narb
12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
i dont play neither halo2 nor half life2 but i see pics of halo2 and i like this game...i dont vote... :)

Decave
12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
so... u like halo 2?

CdocZ
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
lol. im definitly by halo2. greeeeaaaaat game. microsoft shouldnt have given bungie a deadline tho.......so many more cool things would have been in it.......still amazing tho

FREDZY
12-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Half Life 2 is a far better single player game, but Halo 2 has the fun multiplayer component.

The thing is, when you get Half Life 2, the greatest multiplayer FPS ever Counter-Strike comes with it for free, redone on Half Life 2's source engine, as well as the newly released Half Life 2 Deathmatch multiplayer expansion.

And remember, there will always be new, FREE games of every imagineable type coming out based on the source engine from independent developers - Mods, that you can run if you have Half Life 2. Thats how games like Counter-Strike came to be in the first place.

TheOne
12-08-2004, 04:33 PM
half life 2, hate FPS on consoles.
+ you can't make graphics any better on an xbox cause of limited hardware, thats where half life 2 kicks ass, oh and the single player is a lot better.
btw i've played both....even went to a halo 2 lan party.

CdocZ
12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
you can upgrade an xbox. its just a computer with a permanent system on it, ive seen many upgraded xbox's. upgraded procesors, harddrives, vid cards, sound cards, everything.

PsychoChimp22
12-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I love halo 2, but i wont vote yet because i plan to get hl2 for christmas or just get it for myself.

Decave
12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
you can upgrade an xbox. its just a computer with a permanent system on it, ive seen many upgraded xbox's. upgraded procesors, harddrives, vid cards, sound cards, everything.

yea definately. you can get another hard drive for ur xbox and u can actually SAVE GAMES on it. i no its awesome. u can rent a game and save it on there forever. also,u can buy a mod chip for ur box and download games from a program called Bit Torrent. (kind of like kazaa but a lot more confusing.) from Bit Torrent u can download any game to a DVD and play it on ur box. pretty awesome. but i like fps games on the comp a bit more too only b/c u have free online play. i dont like that u have to pay for xbox live.

CdocZ
12-08-2004, 05:28 PM
its 55-60 dollars a year!!! you spend more on games every six months then that

Decave
12-08-2004, 05:40 PM
yea i really want to get it but my parents are really annoying about that kind of stuff they think that i'm gona start doing really bad in school.

Blue Supra
12-08-2004, 05:48 PM
half life because it spawned the geratest online games ever!
COUNTER STRIKE!!!

Decave
12-08-2004, 05:55 PM
yea counter strike is really gooood. only problem is EVERYBODY hacks and its freakin annoying. ur guaranteed to find a hacker in a public server.

Wolf03
12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Half Life 2 rules!
I dunno why Halo 2 is so over-rated. It's the same game as Halo except with better graphics and a few weapons thrown in. I asked a lot of people at school at most of them don't like Halo 2 because there's nothing special about it.
Half Life 2 is a whole different from the first one. I just love that you can interact with the environment and pick up anything you want. The graphics are amazing and I don't know about the weapons since I haven't advanced that far (just received the game).
I also didn't get to play Half Life 2 a lot because I was to busy with Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Need for Speed Underground 2 (and soon, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within). So I am talking about the game on first impressions.
In conclusion, Halo 2 BITES big time and I voted for Half Life 2. :D

Decave
12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Half Life 2 rules!
I dunno why Halo 2 is so over-rated. It's the same game as Halo except with better graphics and a few weapons thrown in. I asked a lot of people at school at most of them don't like Halo 2 because there's nothing special about it.
Half Life 2 is a whole different from the first one. I just love that you can interact with the environment and pick up anything you want. The graphics are amazing and I don't know about the weapons since I haven't advanced that far (just received the game).
I also didn't get to play Half Life 2 a lot because I was to busy with Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Need for Speed Underground 2 (and soon, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within). So I am talking about the game on first impressions.
In conclusion, Halo 2 BITES big time and I voted for Half Life 2. :D

ok first of all ur completely wrong that halo 2 is the exact same as the first halo. it has xbox live, it has completely different levels, the AI is much better, and there are a LOT more new weapons not just a few. also, the only reason that half life 2 has better graphics is b/c its on PC (and yes i know b/c of its new engine) but MANY MANY pc games have better graphics then console games and its only b/c they have the capacity to have better graphics. also u cant make judgements about half life 2 if u havent even used the weapons yet!

TheOne
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM

you can't upgrade anything else except for the processor and hard drive.....a processor can't help you much with better graphics.

still......i saw nfsu on both xbox and pc, believe me the graphics were a LOT better on PC.

CdocZ
12-08-2004, 07:12 PM
i know someone personally who has upgraded the vid card. w/e, who cares really, everyone has a pc.

Luciferous
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
ok first of all ur completely wrong that halo 2 is the exact same as the first halo. it has xbox live, it has completely different levels, the AI is much better, and there are a LOT more new weapons not just a few. also, the only reason that half life 2 has better graphics is b/c its on PC (and yes i know b/c of its new engine) but MANY MANY pc games have better graphics then console games and its only b/c they have the capacity to have better graphics. also u cant make judgements about half life 2 if u havent even used the weapons yet!
Looks like we got a Halo2 fanboy here. I've played both, Half Life 2 is twice the game that Halo2 is. Halo2 is fun, but theres nothing really new, its more an update than a sequel. Evolution not revolution if you will. Half Life 2 has an awesome story, setting, gameplay (using the Antlions to take the beaches - awesome idea), and is brimming with inspiration. It's graphics aren't as polished as I would like, but animation and scripted events make up for this.

Halo2 - Good.
Half Life 2 - Instant classic.

narb
12-09-2004, 06:50 AM
so... u like halo 2?

yes i see images of the game but i dont play..but i would like to play :)

SlickHolden
12-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Half life, Play Counterstrike at a pc cafe with about 20 kids and it's the best mutilplayer game ever:D
Graphics game play fun it's all in there:D
But got to say that underground 2 is bloody unreal, It might give GT4 heart burn:p

Cotterik
12-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Im with wolf03, Luciferous, TheOne.

Halo 2 is like a halo expansion pack. Same enemies, few more guns and vehicles, online gameplay, and yeh FPS console sucks.

Half Life 2 is..well the best game out there. The graphics, gameplay and sheer detail make it completely amazing.

Definitely Half Life 2

RedWingsFanG
12-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Yep, HL2 is fantastic. Plus it contains CS Condition Zero!

Big Thumps up.

Wolf03
12-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Halo 2 is compared to Halo as Unreal Tournament 2004 compared to Unreal Tournament. Yes, there are better graphics, yes, a few more weapons have been thrown in, yes, a couple of unecessary features have been added to make it "good" but it's nothing revolutionary or anything that screams "I need that game!" I would choose UT04 over Halo 2 any day because it is customizable (new maps, skins, and FREE online play, unlike with Halo 2 where Microsoft is ripping people off), so obviously I would take Half Life 2 over Halo 2. Again, Half Life 2 has FREE online play and it's a sequel worth checking out, unlike Halo 2. I would not be so harsh on Halo 2 if it wouldn't be so over-rated!! I also heard that they're planning on making a Halo movie, I mean Microsoft just doesn't stop sucking money out of people. I mean what game has been turned into a game so early? No, this doesn't prove that the game was that good, it proves to what lengths Microsoft will go to rip people off.

CdocZ
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
few more guns and vehicles

ummm.....few more guns? 5 weapons were drastically changed in damage/rate of fire wise, and the rest were completly changed, in every respect.
im not saying half life 2 is bad, im about to buy it even. but.....no gun is truly useable for what is was used for before except of course, the rocket launcher, sniper, and fuel rod. all other are either new, or accuracy/power/rate of fire was changed.

Decave
12-09-2004, 06:26 PM
yea u guys need to stop bashin halo2 so much! i'll give u that its pretty stupid that they're making a halo movie... they should focus their energy on making another game or something but yea half life 2 was revolutionary and yes it does have free online play which is a big plus. but it really bugs me when i play Counter Strike b/c everybody cheats and it takes away from the game a bit. yes also you guys were totally on when you said that it was overrated it is but i also think that half life 2 is as well. also u guys need to give halo2's plot some more credit. besides the end it is very goood has many good twists. i've just always loved halo and i feel that i need to uphold its reputation. (idk i guess im crazy) :p :p

CdocZ
12-09-2004, 06:33 PM
you are crazy decave:P

Luciferous
12-09-2004, 09:55 PM
yea u guys need to stop bashin halo2 so much! i'll give u that its pretty stupid that they're making a halo movie... they should focus their energy on making another game or something but yea half life 2 was revolutionary and yes it does have free online play which is a big plus. but it really bugs me when i play Counter Strike b/c everybody cheats and it takes away from the game a bit. yes also you guys were totally on when you said that it was overrated it is but i also think that half life 2 is as well. also u guys need to give halo2's plot some more credit. besides the end it is very goood has many good twists. i've just always loved halo and i feel that i need to uphold its reputation. (idk i guess im crazy) :p :p

Why should we stop? I reckon the game is overrated and I'm dissappointed by it. It seems a lot of people agree with me. Halo2 received heaps of hype because Microsoft desperately needs good games on the Xbox, and so tried to convince everyone that Halo2 would be the next revolution in FPS's. Its not and I'm annoyed.

The game needs actual good ideas to keep the genre moving along, like the pheremone things in Half Life 2, and fighting the Striders, plus little things like having Dog help you out. Thats what makes a game good, not throwing in more weapons and changing some details. Halo2 doesn't have a lot of good ideas in it. Why would you possibly want the pistol and shotgun to be be weaker? Why would you want the Sword to have one hit kills? Its just bored programmers over-tweaking a game that should've had an overhaul.

Blitz_
12-09-2004, 10:56 PM
hmm very interesting comments by alot of you, some very understandable, and a few that show strong evidence of xbox or pc fanboys.

Well theres the first problem with this statement. I could rant on for hours stating all the technical changes done to both games but i sure as hell wont, becuase i know that it is undeniably inevidable that some fanboy will try to prove me wrong. Straight to the point, a lot of you are judging h2 on the outside, and not what has been done on the inside. In other words a lot of the changes are not really recognisable, but have enough of a change to effect gamplay in a better way.

Moving on, anyone heard the saying that if your on a winning / successful formula, stick to it. I know i have, and it has been proven to be successful so many times. Why do a total overhaul of a game if the vast majority of gamers already love it, it could in fact make the game worse. Yes, hl2 has a new graphics engine, thats becuase it had to, imaging a new half life game coming out on the the engine. Halo2 had a formula that equalled success, and by using the same formula they have created a stunning seqaul that goes beyond my expectations. Little things such as the marines never saying the same thing twice, swearing and birds flying off bulidings etc all make the experiece all the worthwile.

Halo2 has numerous ideas that are worthy of praise, the vehicle manovering and controlls put half life 2's boat and buggy rides to absalout shame. I was damn bored of spending so much time in a water vehicle and doing the same old blowing barrels up, now that is not original, its scripted crap. Half Life2 relies TOO MUCH on physics. After one hour, the jumping the bridge and going back and forth had me yelling at the screen for something new to happen....no the same old grab the rocket launcher, 3 hits and the ugly looking craft gets blown up. Woopdy doo. And dog is crap, yes he looks good in the game, but cmon, its not the first time some mechanical thing has helped you out in a game. Even Perfect Darks lapto gun puts dog to shame.

let me see, sowrd one hit kills, makes sense to me, something as powerful as that isnt going to leave a small dent in your armour.

Half life 2 has some serious problems with linear gameplay, i dont know how many times i could guess what was coming around the next corner, ravenholm was the worst of all levels, i had fallen asleep following the crazy irish priest everywhere. The grav gun is also over rated, yes it is fun at first, but then again, moving crates and barrels gets severly boring as well.

Halo 2 is like a halo expansion pack. Same enemies, few more guns and vehicles, online gameplay, and yeh FPS console sucks.

Same enemies, not neccesserily, many of the enemies charactersitics and details have been re developed and new enemies implemented. Not many new enemies that are memorable in hl2. The combine are autrocius and lack originalitiy, and the sand ant thingys, come on people, someone at Valve was watching Starship troopers one too many times.

Half Life 2 has an awesome story

Wow, first time ive heard that, linear gameplay = foresight. Its undeniable evident that most players can guess whats going to happen next, and the ending sucked more that h2's, the gman makes no sense and gordon never speaks.

There is a link i could give that is about 4 pages of changes dont to both hl2 and halo2, and when you put aside the graphics engine, they have done equal amount of changes, its just that half life2 has so many noticable exterior changes from its predessor, it 2 had a semi-winning formula ( hl1 was crap ) but it had to have a new engine to run the game.

What must be understood is that both games are brilliant examples of gaming evolving, neither game is revolutionary, but that they evolve our perception of what gaming is. I finish by saying that half life2 is outdone due to the fact taht h2 multiplayer aspect is so damn good it has counter strike geeks flooding the forums with stupid reasons to condemn h2. HL2 outdoes h2 in its campaign aspect but only slightly, i got severly bored with the repetitivness. Anyhow it the mulitplayer aspect that makes halo2 edge just ahead of it mutual enemy, its so damn fun and makes me happy that i stopped playing cs months ago. Now if you excuse me, i have some french to kill.

danno
12-09-2004, 10:59 PM
half life 2 is technically a better game, but a lot of it is due to the fact that pc hardware is a lot more advanced than xbox hardware, so they can do a lot more.

for me though, i had just as much fun playing halo 2 as i did playing half life 2, and thats basically all that matters. i couldnt care less if a game is technically better, if its not fun then its crap.

FREDZY
12-09-2004, 11:18 PM
I couldn't imagine Halo 2 getting ripped on, being called sucky! It's definitely a 9/10 game, a great experience.

But I'm sticking to Half Life 2... like i said, the experience is unrivaled by any other FPS and you'll always to be able to try new mods out on the game... and oh, there will be a flood of mods...

I must have spent a week just messing around in Half Life 2 after I beat it. I mean every level I found cool shit worthy of a screenshot. Now I've played through the entire game 3 times (the 2nd and 3rd time very long due to dicking around.)

Cotterik
12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
ummm.....few more guns? 5 weapons were drastically changed in damage/rate of fire wise, and the rest were completly changed, in every respect.

yes.. 5 weapons drastically changed. Rest completely changed. Thats still hardly any weapons compared to alot of games. Although the weapons werent the point, the point is Halo 2 as a game isnt as good as Half Life 2 for obvious reasons. If you look at the two in complete comparison, both are extremely BRILLIANT but half life 2 is better.

danno
12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
yes.. 5 weapons drastically changed. Rest completely changed. Thats still hardly any weapons compared to alot of games. Although the weapons werent the point, the point is Halo 2 as a game isnt as good as Half Life 2 for obvious reasons. If you look at the two in complete comparison, both are extremely BRILLIANT but half life 2 is better.

well........actually, only 1 gun in the whole game was left unchanged. :D

Decave
12-10-2004, 07:47 PM
uhhh which gun would that be? i cant recollect any single gun that was not changed!

Wolf03
12-10-2004, 10:58 PM
lemme put it the easy way so that even cavemen can understand
Microsoft = sucks
Halo 2 = Microsoft
So therefore, from this complicated math equation, we can determine that Halo 2 sucks.
Yes, I hate Microsoft and everything they do. The only reason I have XP on my computers because Mac has compatiability errors with certain programs.
And I heard some say HL2 is over-rated. Where's the proof? I don't see mass commercials on TV, I don't see mass ads over the Internet, I don't see the creators bragging that it will change the gaming world, when in fact, for most, it's a big dissapoinment.
I'll make another comparison between games. Halo is compared to Halo 2, like NFS Underground is compared to NFS Underground 2. Sure, tweak the graphics, add in something that was previously in other popular games but do a crappy job doing it and throw in some parts and voila, a revolutionary new game.
Damn Halo 2 fanboys!!! Supporting Bill Gates, it's people like you that keep that crappy company running. :p

F1_Master
12-10-2004, 11:01 PM
H-L2 owned me!

I got the collector's edition.
Came with...
H-L2
H-L1 Digitally remastered
CS: Source and T-Shirt.

Blitz_
12-11-2004, 05:04 AM
Wolf03, you are a very, very sad person, bill gates aye, you percieve him as somewhat evil. Yes he did do several bad things, but then again, i have proof that sony spend 1 / 48 of what Microsoft spend on charity and helping the unfortunate. You look upon Microsoft and a company that "sucks", you sir are a fanboy and i have pity on you because you spend your life trying to diss and put down people who favour other devlopers. Microsoft is a pioneer of so much, and withought them we would be so far behind in technology and so many poor people would be dead.

Wolf03, please do not try to argue with me, im sure, definetely sure i could topple you in this specific argument at hand, do not put down microsoft for its achievment in worldwide assistance to the needy, for you should look at yourself and question your very own ethics.

Did you read my previous, lengthy post u piece of sh*t, why change drastically for a winning formuala, if the graphics are suitable for the gameplay so that it will still make the game fun, then stick with it, i dont want some scenic journey that takes away gameplay, ala prince of persia.

Bill Gates is not the man you see him as, yes, like all multi billionares he has that stereotypical behaviour but he has done so much that it turns the table, what the hell does sony do for the needy with so much money. Nothing.

Now, its time for your reply.

danno
12-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Microsoft = sucks
Halo 2 = Microsoft
So therefore, from this complicated math equation, we can determine that Halo 2 sucks.
Yes, I hate Microsoft and everything they do. The only reason I have XP on my computers because Mac has compatiability errors with certain programs.
And I heard some say HL2 is over-rated. Where's the proof? I don't see mass commercials on TV, I don't see mass ads over the Internet, I don't see the creators bragging that it will change the gaming world, when in fact, for most, it's a big dissapoinment.
I'll make another comparison between games. Halo is compared to Halo 2, like NFS Underground is compared to NFS Underground 2. Sure, tweak the graphics, add in something that was previously in other popular games but do a crappy job doing it and throw in some parts and voila, a revolutionary new game.
Damn Halo 2 fanboys!!! Supporting Bill Gates, it's people like you that keep that crappy company running. :p

you seriously have no idea how much bill gates gives to charity you fool.

"do a crappy job doing it"

here is clear proof you have never played halo 2. you are a PC nerd.

danno
12-11-2004, 07:33 AM
uhhh which gun would that be? i cant recollect any single gun that was not changed!

the sniper was not changed.

some people would say the shotgun wasnt changed either, but it does have a slightly wider range, making it a little less powerful at range.

Decave
12-11-2004, 11:33 AM
the sniper was not changed.

some people would say the shotgun wasnt changed either, but it does have a slightly wider range, making it a little less powerful at range.

well damage wise yes, but can't you see through the scope now when you're not zoomed in?

Decave
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Microsoft = sucks
Halo 2 = Microsoft

1) how about explaining why halo2 is a bad game just b/c it was made by microsoft.

2) if u use that logic then u could say that there are no good xbox games at all.

3) ur a poser b/c ur a pc fanboy.

4) don't try to make everything u say sound sarcastic b/c u put in a smiley.

derekthetree
12-11-2004, 11:49 AM
half life 2 by a country mile.

the physics are so realistic and the AI is really good

Decave
12-11-2004, 01:06 PM
ok fine... but when you say physics do you mean ragdoll physics or what? b/c halo2 has that also. o yea and also, the AI in both games is great. u cant say anything bad about halo2's AI though in my opinion, halo 2 has some significantly better AI. for one thing, legendary is practically impossible, and the marines have literally thousands of quotes that they say so you're guaranteed to hear something new every time. therefore, just b/c half life 2 has some good physics doesn't make it a better game. not by a long shot. i will admit that i am a halo fanboy but i think that i have good reason. so far i have not heard a good reason of why halo 2 is bad except for the fact that its a sequel and it doesn't have as good graphics. (o yea and someone said b/c everything that microsoft makes sucks and that was just retarted.)

Rockefella
12-11-2004, 01:34 PM
half life 2 by a country mile.

the physics are so realistic and the AI is really good
I have yet to play HL2... but my computer isn't really up to that lvl. However, I'm going down to Florida soon and my cousin has an extremely powerful computer, where I'll get to test it out :)

CdocZ
12-12-2004, 11:00 AM
halo2 vs half life 2 graphics. retarded thing to bring up. its like bragging to someone that their 117 inch tv is stupid, and sucks compared to your 120 inch tv. no point. at that point it is just overkill. stop arguing about graphics, its stupid. (if you want to agrue about graphics, compare one of these 2 to something like duckhunt, for the orginal nintendo)

Decave
12-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Hahahaaha yea. wen r u people gona realize that the ONLY reason that half life 2 has better graphics is b/c its a PC GAME!!!! LISTEN TO PEOPLE!!!

CdocZ
12-14-2004, 09:14 PM
ok.....i havent played half life 2 itself yet.....but if its as good as counter strike source.......all i will say is this, halo2 is still an incredible game, among the best, but even if your among the best, there is sometimes better.

CdocZ
12-14-2004, 09:19 PM
ok, from before about halo/halo2 being mircosoft......microsoft didnt make it, bungie did, all microsoft did was set a deadline, so if thats what you call making the game........but also, microsoft set the deadline too early to let bungie really finish it. you cant peak around walls, cant do the cool combo whack things like in metal gear solid/dead to rights like games, and a variety of other things. hopefully, mircosoft will not put a deadling on halo3, so it can be fully developed into a full sequel. didnt half life have something like a little over 5 years? halo2 had under 3 years to be made, some of which was spent making halo pc (halo pc was terrible). if bungie had the amount of time they wanted, halo2 would have been a very VERY different game

Decave
12-17-2004, 11:18 AM
exactly. also backing up in regard to the physics of half life 2, if you have played counter strike and have been in specator mode, you see that you can fly through the walls and you see that nothing actually has mass. this totally jacks up the physics in regard to bouncing things off walls and such.