PDA

View Full Version : Handeling

mechanixfetch
12-08-2003, 10:57 PM
I need some help. I was up one of the local mountains on Saturday (Cypress for anyone in Vancouver) and i was doing donuts on one of the overflow parking lots. The explorer i was in is AWD and has the old Mustand 5.0L When I countersteered to come out of the spin i went way too far and had to steer back and forth a bunch to get back in a straight line. What did I do wrong i haven't done this much and i should probably find out what to do.
Thanks

Egg Nog
12-08-2003, 11:07 PM
http://streetracing.tiora.net/japan/drift/drift1.htm

henk4
12-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by mechanixfetch
I need some help. I was up one of the local mountains on Saturday (Cypress for anyone in Vancouver) and i was doing donuts on one of the overflow parking lots. The explorer i was in is AWD and has the old Mustand 5.0L When I countersteered to come out of the spin i went way too far and had to steer back and forth a bunch to get back in a straight line. What did I do wrong i haven't done this much and i should probably find out what to do.
Thanks

The first thing that springs to mind when you ask what you did wrong is: You were in the wrong car. Doughnuts with a SUV, the thought alone makes me want to puke. Second option, may be you had the wrong Firestones under the car.

DasModell
12-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by henk4
The first thing that springs to mind when you ask what you did wrong is: You were in the wrong car. Doughnuts with a SUV, the thought alone makes me want to puke. Second option, may be you had the wrong Firestones under the car.

lol .... :)

mechanixfetch
12-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Well I know an SUV is not the ideal car to do donuts in they are pretty easy to do on the packed snow and ice. So it isn't a question of will it? Won't it? it is how do i come out of it. I start them easy enough though. I just want to know how to stop them.

NoOne
12-10-2003, 07:49 AM
First thing is to get the hell off the gas ...lol :D

NAZCA C2
01-16-2004, 07:15 PM
First thing is to get the hell off the gas ...lol :D

What you did wrong is you did donuts in an Explorer, last I checked the Explorer is no sports car.

crisis
01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Ive done donuts in my Landcruiser. It helps if you are on the beach of course. Thats where Im going next week again actually. A bit of enviromental vandalism.

fpv_gtho
01-18-2004, 11:09 PM
i dare say the best thing to help your cause wouldve been to hop off the throttle. have u had much experience driving on loose surfaces? if you havent maybe before the next time you do it, you should just run through some basic things like how the car reacts when you floor it and such and how you need to react to keep going in a straight line. its something my dads done with me, he just stuck me on a dirt road behind the wheel of his AU one tonner, told me to stick it in first and floor it. sure enough the rear end kicked out left and i counter steered left and after a second or two was going back in a straight line

crisis
01-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Thanks
Like any spin you should turn into it. I would assume anyone would back off the throttle but I have seen many people launch out of side streets, loose the arse end but keep their foot buried and fish tail wildly hoping for god to sort it out. Sometimes he does with a tree or another car. As soon as you back off the back of the car will snap back into line. Hanging the tail out requires a car with good handling ( not an Exploder feature ) and delicate throttle manipulation by the driver. Watch those drifter dudes. You cant bury the throttle and expect it all to work out. Find youself a wide open dirt expanse and go and practice. It will become an automatic response which is what you want it to be. I spent heaps of time at a place like that when I was first driving and it has helped from time to time. If you want to stop real quick in a spin lock the brakes. It will be a wild ride but it will pull you up pretty quick in one place.