PDA

View Full Version : Caterham in U.S.

my porsche
12-17-2004, 04:28 PM
anyone know what (if any) caterham models are available in the u.s.? and can you get a used one? how much $$$?

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2004, 04:40 PM
remember you COULD get one just for track and autotests just liek the one in the vid.
There are PLENTY of 7-copies just as good as the Caterham and for a fraction of the price :)

my porsche
12-17-2004, 04:49 PM
got any links? im thinking like, since i may get my dad's friend's 2004 X5 that id like a weekend toy :D hehe

what are some good copies? have links to the site? what are the performance specs?

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Do a web search for 7 and
Tiger - fastest 0-60, twin bike engines :)
Sylva - one of the best of the low cost copies
Locost - the cheapest chassis and yet still not bad on smooth tracks.
Caterham - the serious players
Westfield - ditto
Donkervoort - awesome Dutch version
Do a search for Lotus 7 kit and you'll probably find a nearby builder or supplier !!
There are over a dozen VERY good 7-copyies in the UK alone :)
Every country has one.
If everyone had had to pay Colin for the design Lotus wouldn't have gone bust :)

Esperante
12-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Every year there's a big British Auto Meet down in Sussex, WI. My uncle takes down his '61 Bentley, I follow along. Every year there's a guy there with two new Caterhams, not one offs, not old. Never bothered asking him how he got them, though. :(

:Exige:
12-17-2004, 05:52 PM
W00t .. Sussex! Oh, wait, Sussex WI. Darn American place names :) When I saw the thread title I thought that Caterham were gonna be selling in the US. I would laugh my ass of if that were to happen! Then I would cry :( Worked on a Syla Striker on my work experience (ive mentioned work exp twice today!) .. it had 2 air filters poking out of the bonnet .. very loud side exit exhausts .. pretty fast. Very painful fibre glass seats! Being a kit car you can easily transfer a seat from another car into it.

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2004, 05:59 PM
or fit any number of full race seats and 5-point harness and then REALLY chuck it around. We've even rallied my mates - not an experience I'm wanting to repeat :)

PininfarinaPIMP
12-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Shit the Caterhams are really good cars, but if it rains youve only got, i believe, a leather ragtop...

NAZCA C2
12-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Caterhams are sold in the US but I think you have to buy the engine/tranny separately. You might want to check out Westfields and Stuart Taylor cars also.

http://www.uscaterham.com/home.html

my porsche
12-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Do a web search for 7 and
Tiger - fastest 0-60, twin bike engines :)
Sylva - one of the best of the low cost copies
Locost - the cheapest chassis and yet still not bad on smooth tracks.
Caterham - the serious players
Westfield - ditto
Donkervoort - awesome Dutch version
Do a search for Lotus 7 kit and you'll probably find a nearby builder or supplier !!
There are over a dozen VERY good 7-copyies in the UK alone :)
Every country has one.
If everyone had had to pay Colin for the design Lotus wouldn't have gone bust :)

no ones paying me!! and how did you know my name?

Matra et Alpine
12-18-2004, 04:43 AM
Shit the Caterhams are really good cars, but if it rains youve only got, i believe, a leather ragtop...
Some of them have done hardtops, - kind of defeats the purpose IMHO - but most are material - NOT LEATHER.

Same stuff as the Elise !!

and if it's for a trackday car, who cares :)

12-18-2004, 05:11 AM
or fit any number of full race seats and 5-point harness and then REALLY chuck it around. We've even rallied my mates - not an experience I'm wanting to repeat :)
I would have loved to see that .. pretty adaptable cars :) I wondered why it had an adjustable suspension :p

Matra et Alpine
12-18-2004, 05:32 AM
yeah but the range of 'adjustment' was all in geting it LOWER for track :(

We ripped half the arse out of it. Had to replace the floor panels - which on a kit was about 1/2 days work :)

EDIT: Pic added at the end of the event when we put the roof up. We started with it on but couldnt' see well enough. So competed the rest of the event sans hood. Midnight in Scotland in Winter - -2 degrees centigrade - the time control marshals all had a laugh though and we DID win an award for keeping going :)

Esperante
12-18-2004, 10:32 AM
no ones paying me!! and how did you know my name?
Colin Chapman was the founder of Lotus. He designed all his cars. In fact, a friend of mine's father, (who know works for Miller Brewery) went to school a few blocks from his factory, and he said when it was nice out, the company would build Elans and Sevens outside. So on his free periods he would go down with his friends and watch production and sometimes talk with Colin Chapman himself. God rest Chapman's soul :(.

my porsche
12-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Colin Chapman was the founder of Lotus. He designed all his cars. In fact, a friend of mine's father, (who know works for Miller Brewery) went to school a few blocks from his factory, and he said when it was nice out, the company would build Elans and Sevens outside. So on his free periods he would go down with his friends and watch production and sometimes talk with Colin Chapman himself. God rest Chapman's soul :(.

i know, i was joking. i think i should get royalites for having the same name!!!

12-19-2004, 07:37 AM
i know, i was joking. i think i should get royalites for having the same name!!!
Ill buy your name off you for £50 .. think of the prestige! I could finally boast a few F1 wins .. more than Coulthard can say!

Matra et Alpine
12-19-2004, 08:48 AM
hey :exige: no fair pickign on DC>
he IS the second most succesful F1 driver on the grid !!!!!

12-19-2004, 09:44 AM
hey :exige: no fair pickign on DC>
he IS the second most succesful F1 driver on the grid !!!!!
True .. I just dont trust a man with a HUMUNGOUS CHIN!!! :D

Esperante
12-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Guess you don't trust Jay Leno.........
http://www.premieredemos.com/premiere_programming/images/jay%20leno_Crop2.jpg

12-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Guess you don't trust Jay Leno.........
http://www.premieredemos.com/premiere_programming/images/jay%20leno_Crop2.jpg
I trust him the least of anyone! That big thing on the bottom of his head must ruin the power to weight ratio of many cars .. and the co-efficient :)

Spastik_Roach
12-19-2004, 05:58 PM
http://www.opdebeeck.com/afbeeldingen/karikatuurschetsen/large/coulthard.jpg

Come on it ain't that big :D

Coventrysucks
12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Check WCM (www.wcmultralite.com). They look fairly decent, and they are an American company.