PDA

View Full Version : 914 Unleashed!

Egg Nog
12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
December 16th

Well, today was really exciting! I took my car out of the shop (Permanently, I hope) and drove around getting more stuff ready.

First thing, I went to a gas station to get new wiper blades and $20 worth of gas. I got loads of attention because I have to open the front trunk to fill up the tank, and people were wondering what was going on. The new wipers worked well, and I left pretty happy.

Next, I drove over to the AirCare testing center (which is the government emissions test in here B.C.). Awesomely (luckily?) it passed very easily. Not bad considering it hasn't really been driven in around 6 years :)

After that, the 914 took on the highway :) I hadn't driven it yet above around 50 km/h, so it seemed pretty happy to finally let loose a bit. It was raining pretty hard, so I kept everything under about 95 km/h the whole time. It seems happy in 4th and 5th, but you can totally feel every single tiny little bump as you go over it. Goddamn autoX springs :)

Tomorrow, I'll be taking it to the body shop to get some paint put on over my rust repairs, and to hopefully get the alignment done. I'll keep you guys posted.

Here's the 914 just before it left my school shop for the last time (I hope):

Egg Nog
12-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Here's a shot of the interior in its current state:

Egg Nog
12-16-2003, 10:21 PM
We have the engine bay cover...

Egg Nog
12-16-2003, 10:24 PM
...and finally, the beast within :) It's pretty ugly under there right now, but I'm working on it. Runs perfectly though...

Motorer1
12-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Nice wheels. THe 914 is coming together.

P.S Don't you just love putting new wiper blades on? Clear Window, yah!!!

bballmikey105
12-17-2003, 05:30 PM
nice. what do you plan to do next?

Batmobile_Turbo
12-17-2003, 06:49 PM
pretty sweet. how expensive was it when you bought it?

Egg Nog
12-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Batmobile_Turbo
pretty sweet. how expensive was it when you bought it?

450 Dollars Canadian. It's probably worth about 3 to 4 grand now.

Originally posted by bballmikey105
nice. what do you plan to do next?

It's funny you ask that. Today (December 17th), I took it down to "Adept's" body shop to get a bit of work done. After looking everything over, and thinking for a bit, I decided to go with the full paint job. I was quoted at $1600, for a pretty decent job that includes sanding, priming, and everything. It should be finished by later this month or very early January. After that, it's off to the Porsche mechanic for alignment and a few minor things.

EDIT: I've changed my mind about the paint job. I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out that much money for it right now. I'll update you as time passes.

SL500
12-18-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
We have the engine bay cover...
well, i love that!:D

Boxster17
01-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I was curious as to how old it was? And where you found/purchased it...did you buy it off an individual, classic cars dealer, where? Oh, I'd just like to add that it's looking good so far..I bet you can't wait to see it completed :) Do you have any idea how long it'll take you to get it fully restored, or to the point that you feel it's complete?

mechanixfetch
01-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I was curious as to how old it was? And where you found/purchased it...did you buy it off an individual, classic cars dealer, where?
See "my current car/project" and "porsche 914 updates" in the Users rides Fourm. They are 3/4ths of the way down the list on page one. They should answer all your questions.

Boxster17
01-10-2004, 01:47 PM
ah ok...thanks :)

Alcomet
01-22-2004, 09:18 AM
I just want you to know that I loved the car...Good job indeed, It worked out very well !!

I found a good pic of 1970 original Porsche 914/6 GT, taken in a race "Estoril Historic Festival" in my country (Portugal)..... enjoy a good drive :)