PDA

View Full Version : slow countersteer

KnifeEdge_2K1
12-27-2004, 10:36 PM
here's a formula for slow countersteer which could get u to wind up in a snow bank

fatigue + snow/iced pavement + going too fast through a corner + low visibility + nearly no suspension travel due to iced up wheel arches + freezing cold hands + crappy reflexes due to fatigue and freezing cold hands

lol

after driving my friend up i was just so eager to get back home i went way too fast on a small road that was all iced up, the corolla's back came out, i caught the slide fine ... countersteer was way way way over zealous, tail slid out in the other direction, countersteered AGAIN, this time it was a bit late, if neone was watching i would have looked like a complete retard, a dab of throttle helped the rear grip on again and i was out of it, i estimate i was about 3 inches from the 4 foot high bank of snow, i cant imagine the phone call i would have to make if i plowed into that ...

GTR Dreamer
12-27-2004, 11:22 PM
hahaha lol nice one
least ur alive............nice drftin:D

car_fiend
12-27-2004, 11:24 PM
ooh... damn man, u musta had one hell of a scare. glad ur okay tho...

Matra et Alpine
12-28-2004, 04:35 AM
glad the cars OK.

if you lose the rear on ice, remember to dip the clutch to let the rears bite again ??

There is so little grip on ice that the engine will turn the wheels and that prevents the rears gripping. Sounds as if you managed to grip again off some of the ice.

Snow banks are softer than conrete walls so it wouldn't have been so bad :)

clutch-monkey
12-28-2004, 04:55 AM
note to self- dip clutch if lose control in snow
note to self- nearest snow is 1500km away
:) i've never driven in snow, so i guess you guys learn more about car control than i would

Matra et Alpine
12-28-2004, 05:59 AM
yeah a long way to go to practise the maneouvre :)
BUT everyone should try it - in a safe environment please - as the buzz you get from getting the pendulum to swing at the correct rate to match the speed and the sequence of corners is VERY high - and sadly the risk of finding yourself facing the wrong way on the 4 or 5th corner is equally high :)
4WD rally cars are boring :(

Rockefella
12-28-2004, 09:33 AM
yeah a long way to go to practise the maneouvre :)
BUT everyone should try it - in a safe environment please - as the buzz you get from getting the pendulum to swing at the correct rate to match the speed and the sequence of corners is VERY high - and sadly the risk of finding yourself facing the wrong way on the 4 or 5th corner is equally high :)
4WD rally cars are boring :(
Lol, just last night before I came home my dad told me that if I ever lose control in the snow, to "dip the clutch." :)

Matra et Alpine
12-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Yeah, one of the things I do with my daughters and my mates kids when they pass there tests is to take them out for some "save your life" lessons.

The books teach them to come off the throttle. So I take them to local car park when it's cold or wet ( or both - it IS Scotland :) ) and get them to spin out ( safely ) and try to get them to sense how to 'tickle' the throttle to match revs with grip and how to feather clutch when it's lost.

I was lucky in that my brother did this with me when I was 14. I reckon it is THE safest way to learn all the BIG risks rather than hoping what was read in a book was true :)

Heading out over the next few days with mates sons g/f who wants to finesse stering with the throttle. A skill she'll need in the dry and is easiest ( and safest ) taught on scnow and ice.

PLEASE if you want to follow this take someone who knows what thery're doing in the passenger seat and ONLY do it where you can't damage the car, you , others or any property !!!!