PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sports Car Ever Made By Japan

r34_296kw
12-17-2003, 05:54 AM
Hey guys, what car do you think is the best sports car ever made by japan? and it should be judged best overall not just in speed or handling etc...

SL500
12-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Ultima GTR

General Information
Price: $66,000
Miles Per Gallon: --/-- mpg
Curb Weight: 2183 lbs
Layout: Mid-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: V8
Displacement: 6300 cc
Horsepower: 534 bhp @ 5800 rpm
Torque: 528 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
Redline: ---- rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
0-100 mph: 8.2 sec
Quarter Mile: 11.9 sec @ 124 mph
Skidpad: 1.02g
Top Speed: 204 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 110 ft
Slalom Speed: 71.9 mph

http://www.fast-autos.net/ultima/ugtr5.jpg

kennyknoxville
12-17-2003, 02:09 PM
i alwasy thought ultima was an american company. you know theres an electic powered ultima?

anyway, i think the tommy kaira zz is the coolest japanese sports car. its powered by an rb26dett, so youd like it r34_296kw

IBrake4Rainbows
12-17-2003, 03:39 PM
the greatest spoerts car ever made by japan, boy thats a toughy..... I'd probably have to go for the Honda NSX though. it beat the ferraris of it's day hands down, and you can take nan to the shops in it, then go for a huge blast up the twisties. i dunno what it is about me and dual personality cars.....

Batmobile_Turbo
12-17-2003, 04:28 PM
i think it is the RX-7, it's quick, it's fast, it handles, and it has a rotary. i also think the NSX comes in second or ties for first.

Egg Nog
12-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by SL500
Ultima GTR

Yeah, the greatest car ever made by Japan is British... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I can't really make up my mind right now. Actually, yes, I can. The Acura NSX.

r34_296kw
12-17-2003, 11:38 PM
yeah thats what i thought so too, although i luv the skyline i do have to admit the acura nsx is well 'one' of the greatest cars ever made by japan

Falcon500
12-18-2003, 04:24 AM
Well peronally i would think it would have to be the Datsun 240Z the best selling sports car of the 70s it could top 140mph and it was a fine handeler and still is a great car. The 96 bathurst Rx-7 would have to be one of the best cars they made.
And the datsun 1000 S coupe while not ground breaking it is a fine handeler and won its class in our country in many races and is just plain cool:cool:

SL500
12-18-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
Yeah, the greatest car ever made by Japan is British... :rolleyes:

With a chevrolet engine,haha

and yes, i agree on NSX,
the new NSX-R is an awesome car

SL500
12-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Well,i forgot S2000
not the best,but for its price it can be a great(and cheap) sporty car.

fpv_gtho
12-18-2003, 07:44 PM
id have to say the NSX would be the best, with a 3 way tie in second between the R32 GTR, original Z car (as falcon500 said) and series 6 RX-7

Nildo
12-20-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm torn between modern technology and dewy eyed nostalgia....

Older cars I would say the 2000 GT or 240 z. For something a little more modern the ZZ is very good, and so is the NSX-R. The GTR has also become an institution, and can't be left off the list either.

r34_296kw
12-20-2003, 06:53 PM
i hope the r35 gtr will be ground breaking enough to beat the nsx-r or that hsc/hbc which is going to replace the nsx

16-4Veyron
12-21-2003, 02:12 PM
i cant think of any

Batmobile_Turbo
12-21-2003, 05:12 PM
i cant think of any
and why not?

r34_296kw
12-21-2003, 10:52 PM
what does "distinguished" mean?

fpv_gtho
12-22-2003, 01:10 AM
its kinda hard to explain, if you tell me what context its in then ill explain it fully

r34_296kw
12-22-2003, 01:30 AM
its kinda hard to explain, if you tell me what context its in then ill explain it fullyit says at that green thing near my name "r34_296kw is on a distinguished road"

fpv_gtho
12-22-2003, 01:34 AM
well basically it means your going good. that box represents your reputation on the site, and green is good, grey is neutral

Falcon500
12-22-2003, 02:50 AM
So im doin good here :D

fpv_gtho
12-22-2003, 03:09 AM
you shouldnve known that though, being a mod and all

r34_296kw
12-22-2003, 03:11 AM
you shouldnve known that though, being a mod and alladd me on messenger [email protected]

fpv_gtho
12-22-2003, 03:17 AM
yeah i did it not too long ago now, mines in my profile by the way

Falcon500
12-22-2003, 04:15 AM
So I am feard j/k i was wondering what that ment too actually.
Well back on the subject i have to add that a lot of good japenese brand made good cars for certain countrys i give the exaple of the Sillouet (spelling?) Skyline we got here. It was a 4 door and was very easily noted by its Da-Glow orange paint work and its flash Engine as well as its immense handeling which isstill said to be better then any commadore ever produced (im quoting an ex owner here)

The Chute Boxer
12-22-2003, 04:19 AM
again i would have to say the Nissan R390

NoOne
12-22-2003, 07:53 AM

Good choice, nothing like supercar that looks better than an Enzo and will almost keep up and still be more exclusive .... even if it does cost a couple of hundred thousand $ more. ;)

Batmobile_Turbo
12-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Good choice, nothing like supercar that looks better than an Enzo and will almost keep up and still be more exclusive .... even if it does cost a couple of hundred thousand $ more. ;)
if were gonna start talking about supercars then what about the Toyota GT1?

fpv_gtho
12-22-2003, 06:14 PM
not to mention the Mazda 787B

Egg Nog
12-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Except that we're all talking about street-legal supercars, much unlike the Toyota GT-1... woah... come to think of it, that would be awesome! Imagine driving a GT-1 on the streets!

Batmobile_Turbo
12-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Except that we're all talking about street-legal supercars, much unlike the Toyota GT-1... woah... come to think of it, that would be awesome! Imagine driving a GT-1 on the streets!
don't they have to build a few road legal cars to qualify for GT1? and if that's the case then it's possible to drive one on the streets, but very expensive at that.

Egg Nog
12-22-2003, 11:42 PM
don't they have to build a few road legal cars to qualify for GT1? and if that's the case then it's possible to drive one on the streets, but very expensive at that.

Nope, definately not. The Audi R8, Bentley EXP8, and the Toyota GT-1 have never been street legal. There's an article here:

http://formen.ign.com/news/10687.html?fromint=1

Nildo
12-23-2003, 04:08 PM
They may not have been strret legal everywhere, but they definitely built a road-going version of the car. It was mildly detuned (down about 38 kw) and weighed a bit more due to safety and other legal necessities.

uk83
12-26-2003, 07:46 AM
They may not have been strret legal everywhere, but they definitely built a road-going version of the car. It was mildly detuned (down about 38 kw) and weighed a bit more due to safety and other legal necessities.

that would be something to find out. id like to know specificatons of that car.

uk83
12-26-2003, 07:47 AM
reputation zero huh..... ow.

Matra et Alpine
12-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, what car do you think is the best sports car ever made by japan? and it should be judged best overall not just in speed or handling etc...

Honda Beat Mugen.

One of the crazy micro-sportscars the japanese made to take advantage of taxation loophole.

Great little car, handled like a dream and was fast even though acceleration wasn't sparkling.
Why ? Because it was sooo easy to keep speed up on twisty roads.
It's the closest I've ever got to the exhiliration of a motorbike on Scottish highland roads with no police around :-)

Better looking than the Capuccino from Suzuki IMHO.

Power isn't everything and this had a nice balance of everything it takes.

Peter

Nildo
12-26-2003, 03:59 PM
I do agree with the point you are making, but the car...? The build quality in the Beat was pretty ordinary, and the panel gaps were as quirky as the styling.

Having said that, if it drove well who cares? I love the Lotus Elan for its panache at using it's 120 bhp, not because it can run 0-100 in sub 4 or whatever. My brother owns an SW11 MR2. It is modified and makes decent power....about 170bhp. Not much by todays standard, but weighing only 950 kg gives it a good start and the mid-mount engine embued it with superb handling. Honestly through corners nothing keeps with it, and it's sweet little four-pot sounds wonderful at 8500 rpm. Cornering G is every bit as exciting as accelerative G and is often much more exploitable.

Egg Nog
12-27-2003, 11:38 PM
My brother owns an SW11 MR2. It is modified and makes decent power....about 170bhp. Not much by todays standard, but weighing only 950 kg gives it a good start and the mid-mount engine embued it with superb handling. Honestly through corners nothing keeps with it, and it's sweet little four-pot sounds wonderful at 8500 rpm. Cornering G is every bit as exciting as accelerative G and is often much more exploitable.

Yes! My friend owns a mk1 MR2 and it's awesome! Surprisingly quick, and very easy to kick the rear end out a little. Just a little wag of the tail coming out of sharp corners :)

Nildo
12-29-2003, 01:47 PM
I really love the car. It's styling is very much an eighties equation, but the way it drives....really it is awesome, and still very safe most of the time. My brother (foolishly) had a street race with a honda 250 cc motorbike and after we got off the straight roads we murdered him!

Batmobile_Turbo
12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda Beat Mugen.

One of the crazy micro-sportscars the japanese made to take advantage of taxation loophole.

Great little car, handled like a dream and was fast even though acceleration wasn't sparkling.
Why ? Because it was sooo easy to keep speed up on twisty roads.
It's the closest I've ever got to the exhiliration of a motorbike on Scottish highland roads with no police around :-)

Better looking than the Capuccino from Suzuki IMHO.

Power isn't everything and this had a nice balance of everything it takes.

Peter
along the same lines of the honda beat, the mazda AZ-1 was neat too, and it is mid engined.

Matra et Alpine
12-29-2003, 06:02 PM
along the same lines of the honda beat, the mazda AZ-1 was neat too, and it is mid engined.

Same as Beat.

Batmobile_Turbo
12-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Same as Beat.
thank you for the info

baddabang
01-02-2004, 02:15 PM
ehhhhh rich cars :(

NoOne
01-02-2004, 08:08 PM
OK, looks like I'm gonna "cut across the grain".

I know most of the posts lately have been praising "great" handling cars, but for me great handling makes a car competent, not great.

For me, and hopefully I don't stand alone, a great car should be exciting to the point of being awe-inspiring .... for me thats acceleration.

I'm not saying that having a car that feels like "its riding on rails" isn't thrilling, what I am saying is a "great car" should put a big nervous grin on your face, a knot in your throat, makes your heart beat faster .... maybe even scares you a bit to the point where you back away from the car, shaking your head in disbelief, wondering if that kind of adrenaline rush should be illegal.

To me, thats what would make a car truly great .... unfortunately I have never been in a car that was "great" from the factory, at least not by my definition, I have been in several "great" cars, even owned one ... a '94 Ford Mustang 5.0 with a vortec supercharger - it accelerated awesome, had a decent topspeed (135+ mph, but pulled hard most of the way there), handled and braked really well ... even for an American car. :p

Everyone will have their own definition of a great car, for me it will definitely not be a Honda Beat, or as competent as it is, a MR2.

Matra et Alpine
01-02-2004, 08:27 PM
OK, looks like I'm gonna "cut across the grain".

I know most of the posts lately have been praising "great" handling cars, but for me great handling makes a car competent, not great.

For me, and hopefully I don't stand alone, a great car should be exciting to the point of being awe-inspiring .... for me thats acceleration.

I'm not saying that having a car that feels like "its riding on rails" isn't thrilling, what I am saying is a "great car" should put a big nervous grin on your face, a knot in your throat, makes your heart beat faster .... maybe even scares you a bit to the point where you back away from the car, shaking your head in disbelief, wondering if that kind of adrenaline rush should be illegal.

To me, thats what would make a car truly great .... unfortunately I have never been in a car that was "great" from the factory, at least not by my definition, I have been in several "great" cars, even owned one ... a '94 Ford Mustang 5.0 with a vortec supercharger - it accelerated awesome, had a decent topspeed (135+ mph, but pulled hard most of the way there), handled and braked really well ... even for an American car. :p

Everyone will have their own definition of a great car, for me it will definitely not be a Honda Beat, or as competent as it is, a MR2.

Hmm, I agree with your comment about acceleration - a Honda Beat is great fun, a good car, great handling but loses on adrenalin.
Equally fast acceleration isn't a mathc to high LATERAL g-force - expecially in a car with great feedback.
I love my Bagheera and yet it is a NIGHTMARE to drive in wet conditions as when it lets go on the rear end it's godnight Vienna. It's almost impossibel to stop it from swapping ends. IT is a great adrenalin rush to race on circuit ( I woulnd't take a car to it's limits on public roads _ though because it is a real challenge to keep it on the limit and get it 4 wheel drifting without losing the rear and swapping ends.

Taking a curve at 160+mph is THE buzz.
It's the only time I've ever backed off in a car because I got scared.
The car just started drifting.
Now keeping it together at those speeds and lateral forces takes a GREAT car.

We have LOTS of "best cars" becuase each ends up at a different point on the handling v speed v acceleration v price curves and long may it remain.

Get a shot in a Lotus Elise and you'll experience something else.
With it, you're so close to the road in feel and physically that it heightens the rush.

Falcon500
01-03-2004, 02:15 AM
I View thatexcitment in an automobile is where you can find it my personal fovarites would have to be acceleration, top speed and knowing your driving the car eg no power stearing fantasic feed back and a good raod feeling...hardly anything like it. And also a necisity for enjoying a carfully would have to be prescense and sound and it being an incredable effortless cruiser.

Nildo
01-04-2004, 04:35 PM
A fair enough opinion Noone, but I can prmise you that the MR2 can probably out-accelerate you vortech charged 5.0 to a point as well. For comparisons sake it weighs 940 kg (tare) and has 170 bhp (127 kw), and runs 0-100 in about 6.3 seconds. The cornering isn't 'on rails', but is very exploitable and progressive, making it exciting without feeling like it is about to bite you. I have been in some faster cars before, but it made them no more thriiling. Also it pays to remember that proximity to the ground enhances the feeling of speed. A caterham or lotus can feel faster than it is because you sit lower in it.

NoOne
01-05-2004, 08:14 AM
A fair enough opinion Noone, but I can prmise you that the MR2 can probably out-accelerate you vortech charged 5.0 to a point as well. For comparisons sake it weighs 940 kg (tare) and has 170 bhp (127 kw), and runs 0-100 in about 6.3 seconds. The cornering isn't 'on rails', but is very exploitable and progressive, making it exciting without feeling like it is about to bite you. I have been in some faster cars before, but it made them no more thriiling. Also it pays to remember that proximity to the ground enhances the feeling of speed. A caterham or lotus can feel faster than it is because you sit lower in it.

Those MR2's are light and have decent power, but I was stressing that even though great handling can be fun, I don't think it would put that nervous grin on your face as outright acceleration does.

BTW: I don't know the 0-100 time on the 'stang, but it was quite consistent with bottom to mid 11 sec 1/4 mile times ... best time was 11.2@122 mph. It was never dynoed either, but an educated guess would be 380+ hp.

Nildo
01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Holy crap! Well, never mind about the MR2 being anywhere near as quick. And if it is a small dose of automotive fear you are after I don't think the MR2 is for you! The scariest car I have driven is a Saab Viggen...the torque steer was unbelievable and things got really out of shape powering out of a roundabout...I was lucky there were no other cars about. That day taught me never to try and be a hero on public roads! And I didn't enjoy the experience whatsoever.

NAZCA C2
01-19-2004, 02:10 PM
The Acura/Honda NSX has to be the best Japanese sports car ever. It looks great, handles better than just about anything, and has Honda reliability.

Pliz
01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
The Acura/Honda NSX has to be the best Japanese sports car ever. It looks great, handles better than just about anything, and has Honda reliability. honda cars have a ignition problem...besides if nsx is the best then why has the skyline been winning the JGTC? ;) :p skyline would have been the bomb if it was made by toyota, they have the best quality and reliability

Matra et Alpine
01-20-2004, 06:18 AM
The Acura/Honda NSX has to be the best Japanese sports car ever. It looks great, handles better than just about anything, and has Honda reliability.
WHAT ?
Sorry, having driven one, they are NOT that great.
It was a North American spec and I'm todl they are 'softer', but it wasn't 'better than just about anything'.
Good yes, but wouldn't make the top 20.

NAZCA C2
01-20-2004, 03:31 PM
honda cars have a ignition problem...besides if nsx is the best then why has the skyline been winning the JGTC? ;) :p skyline would have been the bomb if it was made by toyota, they have the best quality and reliability
i dont think you can compere race cars to road cars. would you say a corvette is better than a saleen s7 just because the vette is more competitive on the race track? also the skyline isn't sold in the US (the skyline is a great car but wouldnt sell in the US because it is overpriced).

Pliz
01-20-2004, 09:01 PM
(the skyline is a great car but wouldnt sell in the US because it is overpriced). can someone please explain to him the REAL REASON why skylines are not sold in the US, overpriced? yeah rite, most american are more overpriced, ask eggy or someone like that and they'll tell you WHY the skyline is not sold in US, well motorex imports them.... what do you have to say for that? besides americans are just scared that skylines will be killing most of the american cars

elmajul
01-21-2004, 05:46 PM
NSX-R :p

Nildo
01-22-2004, 02:55 PM
The NSX-R is good. Good enough to win Evo car of the year, which features the best performance cars in the world. Just to show what sort of competition there is, the previous winner was the Pagani Zonda C12S.

Falcon500
01-24-2004, 04:53 AM
the car doesnt do much for me wheels tested it against some bland(ish) porsche 911 and while the nsx came barely on top the porshce killed it in price.

Nildo
01-24-2004, 03:28 PM
That was a review of the regular-and ver much overpriced-NSX. The type R is lighter and has more power, giving it a 4.4 0-100 and a better top speed. It has a few other performance features too. In Europe it is priced at a much more reasonable level. I think it is around 60,000 pounds ($170000) rather than the regular one here which is about $270000.

Falcon500
01-24-2004, 04:38 PM
I wonder if honda wonders why they dont sell well here?
From what a read they turuely are a brilliant car stong 6 and a moncouge fiberglass body.

fpv_gtho
01-25-2004, 01:11 AM
from what ive heard theyre an alluminium body. the main reason theyre not seeling here is people can see its age. when it was released it was a pretty good supercar but now theres a fair few more cars that are better than it for the same sort of price

Falcon500
01-25-2004, 04:01 AM
Well from what i hear the car hasnt had any real signifigant changes for about 11 years. And it probly is alloy i dont know not very up to date with jap cars.... i still dont think its really selling well when there are makes like porsche and lotus and stuff that are really good and offer similar performance and prices and have better reutations in this country.

fpv_gtho
01-25-2004, 06:27 AM
well probably the biggest styling change the car's had was the replacement of the pop-up headlights with fixed units, and surprisingly it does alot for the cars image, to me at least it does

Nildo
01-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Yeah, the new headlights are an improvement. Just so's you know, the NSX uses aluminium, and was one of the earlier adopters to use this to lower weight. When the NSX was built a lot of it's parts were very high tech and expensive, but I really think it should be somewhat cheaper to construct these days.

Still, a great car and I will always be grateful for what Honda did do. !980's Ferraris were pretty crap in terms of build and reliability, and Hondas car really spurred them on into making their much more reliable and more competitive cars in the 90's up until now.

fpv_gtho
01-25-2004, 07:15 PM
well for a company like ferrari, its pretty hard to get them to realise faults in their cars, kinda like telling BMW the X5's got crap quality, they think cause they're german theyve got the worlds best build quality or something, thats just how it seems to me. do you think the NSX was a big enough influence for Ferrari to see a market for something like the 355? i havent really seen any "small" ferrari's before the 360 and 355.....

Guibo
01-28-2004, 01:08 AM
The NSX went a long way in spurring Ferrari to improve its build process. Quality control was sorely lacking in the Ferraris of that time, and the 360 and 550/575M's are now reportedly much better and user friendly. Ferrari even saw some value in the NSX's aluminum body construction, and chose to employ it for the 360 (although Audi, in collaboration with ALCOA, which also supplies the body panels and extrusions for the Modena, had an alloy unit body frame project since the mid to late '80s).

As good as the NSX is, though, I'll go with the 240Z. It offered near Euro levels of performance, incredible durability and reliability, and great styling, all for a very reasonable price. Japanese cars at the time were mostly written off as unsporty trinkets, and I think the 240Z really put Datsun (and Japanese cars) on the map.

skyline_22
12-20-2004, 07:03 PM
i think the skyline R34 is the best japanese car

KnifeEdge_2K1
12-20-2004, 11:50 PM
i think the skyline R34 is the best japanese car
OMFG the thread is liek 11 months old

gtrjazz
12-22-2004, 05:49 PM
R32 Gtr :)

chano880
12-25-2004, 11:45 AM
i think that the best japonese cars are supra ( ´98),skyline (r 34) and the mistubishi GTO ( or 3000 VR-4)

Falcon500
12-26-2004, 04:07 AM
Skyline fanboys....Is their anything worse...also despite the fact we have a dead thread on our hands the skyline isnt a sports car is it?

deffenbaugh03
12-26-2004, 05:44 AM
Skyline fanboys....Is their anything worse...also despite the fact we have a dead thread on our hands the skyline isnt a sports car is it?

Why wouldn't it be? I always thought it was. In think the TK ZZ II is the coolest car to come out of Japan. I also really like the Altezza/IS300

Falcon500
12-26-2004, 06:19 AM
well considerng it was a 2+2 and more of a GT rather then a sports car.....

Matra et Alpine
12-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Well the 240Z triple carb still is my preferred mount but that's coz of my early rallying.

My bias to twisties and handling will show again. Mazda MX-5 and the Honda S2000. Great cars with VERY precise positioning and gentle transition to drift at the limit. So no nasties in their handling!! Guy in the club has a turbo'd MX-5 and I have to say it can also chase with the fastest and it hasn't adversely affected the handling.

The MX-5 has held up well over the years. Mates g/f is racing in Formala Woman in the UK next season and as soon as the weather warms upa wee bit we're going to be doing track time with here to prepare her. So I'll be having to learn all about setup of the MX-5 to help her :) Anyone out their competing in an MX-5 ? Hopeflly get a few laps in in testing and setup :) http://www.formulawoman.com/championship/

fpv_gtho
12-26-2004, 06:53 AM
Would that be the Japanese made MX-5 SE? Or something done aftermarket

Falcon500
12-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Well here in aus we had tickford tweak a bunch of mx-5s....and yes they where turboed went like a dog shot in the arse....appretnly mazdas caught on but with less power (121 kw compared to our 150 kw version....)

Matra et Alpine
12-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Would that be the Japanese made MX-5 SE? Or something done aftermarket
He did it aftermarket, but all the bits were from Japanese tuners - he's a 'bit' of a ricer but it's go the performance so we don't mention it :)

fpv_gtho
12-26-2004, 07:09 AM
Well to turn an MX-5 into a ricer would be pretty hard to do, considering its a sports car to begin with and most ricers stick with the compacts :p

Falcon500
12-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Well big rims graphics and a fart can and anything can be a ricer....

fpv_gtho
12-26-2004, 07:15 AM
yeah but you still cant really say its all show, no go

CdocZ
12-26-2004, 09:12 AM
sometimes you can. ive seen cars riced, and had the exterior cleaned and modded up but several years old. how did i know? the car sounded like someone tried to save money on keeping it running.

Falcon500
12-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Im not suggesting the car matra was talking about....i was just listing a small handful of mods that can make a car "fully shit"

Matra et Alpine
12-26-2004, 06:53 PM
oh there are some BAD examples of 'riced' MX-5s around us. I'll try and get some pics - big wings, skirts, big front splitters, fart cans and running stock engine :(

Coventrysucks
12-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Ultima GTR

i alwasy thought ultima was an american company.

With a chevrolet engine,haha

Other countries are so jealous they are trying to claim the Ultima as their own!

Just for the record Ultima use "American Speed" engines - based on SBCs - but you can have whatever will fit in the back.

From a MCC 698cc 3 Cyl to a BMW 6.0 V12.

The Japanese come up with some very odd cars, but from time to time there are some absolute corkers.

Vemac and ASL spring to mind.

KnifeEdge_2K1
12-27-2004, 12:41 AM
oh there are some BAD examples of 'riced' MX-5s around us. I'll try and get some pics - big wings, skirts, big front splitters, fart cans and running stock engine :(

is it even possible to rice an mx5?

its soo cool to begin with ... why would anyone change it, if it were me (and it might be next summer :D) id only change the wheels, tires, and exhaust, all of which would make the car faster and more responsive

well that and the front bumper/air dam, the stock ones on the pre 99/98 models are just SOOO ugly

Falcon500
12-27-2004, 03:47 AM
is it even possible to rice an mx5?

its soo cool to begin with ... why would anyone change it, if it were me (and it might be next summer :D) id only change the wheels, tires, and exhaust, all of which would make the car faster and more responsive

well that and the front bumper/air dam, the stock ones on the pre 99/98 models are just SOOO ugly
Well there are 3 clear groups who buy these cars...
Ricers- and my gawd can they rice them...there are quite a few sad examples in our performace 4 banger mags.
Stock- these people buy them for pose value and usually trade in when warrenty runs out...Its these people we can tank for numerous examples being avalible.
Enthusiests-people who will treat the car to a good wash every week or 2 intendon keeping the car for the long haul and modify them (im thinking this means you knifey)

I would of thought an early GSR EVO would of been more your cup of tea or are they stillovertly exepnsive like here?

Bob
10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Way to bring back a dead thread with a meaningless fanboy post.

The_Canuck
10-21-2005, 07:46 PM
oh man as soon as i saw this thread was old i imediatly thought "oh god not another skyline post!" (EDIT: JUST REALISED IM PAST 300 POSTS! and in 3 times the time it took jakg to get to 800)

TheKangster
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
wow ugly..

kingofthering
11-28-2005, 02:30 PM
i change my nomination to the 80's Toyota Corolla Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX. Initial d drift machine and easily thrown into corners without braking. I easily beat a nismo 270R at the special stage route 5 track in GT4 because the car didn't require braking to enter the turn due to its light weight.

ElC81
11-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Tommy Kiara ZZII

SupraMan22
11-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Other countries are so jealous they are trying to claim the Ultima as their own!

Just for the record Ultima use "American Speed" engines - based on SBCs - but you can have whatever will fit in the back.

From a MCC 698cc 3 Cyl to a BMW 6.0 V12.

The Japanese come up with some very odd cars, but from time to time there are some absolute corkers.

Vemac and ASL spring to mind.

I think the Ultima GTR is the best japanese sports car. Fast , affordable, maybe not the bets looking, but you could show a skyline a thing or two. And a supra :p

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2005, 08:12 PM
I think the Ultima GTR is the best japanese sports car. Fast , affordable, maybe not the bets looking, but you could show a skyline a thing or two. And a supra :p
It's THIS Ultima GTR he's talkign about -- http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/

Is there a car from Japan called the same ???

PerfAdv
11-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Tommy Kiara ZZII
Nice car and it is Japanese but built in England. I don't know if it's eligible?

I'll say NSX.

kingofthering
11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Nice car and it is Japanese but built in England. I don't know if it's eligible?

I'll say NSX.

yes, it is a Japanese car, because GT lists it under Japan and the Tomikara's are mostly modified japanese cars. Pretty sweet car.

SupraMan22
12-04-2005, 08:35 PM
It's THIS Ultima GTR he's talkign about -- http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/

Is there a car from Japan called the same ???

No, i don't know what i was thinking. I must have read the thread wrong. I realized just like 5 seconds ago what i put was absolutly rediculious. Ultima isnt a japanese car.I do love the car though. My apologies. But the supra still stands, not literally.:( I love that car.

imax89
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
penis

henk4
12-05-2005, 10:18 AM
penis

what a come back after a year of absence on the forum:D

Prius
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
penis

or your lack thereof.

gorsescent
01-18-2006, 05:19 PM
length: 3580mm
width: 1640mm
height: 1170mm
weight: 580kg
engine: 790cc

Rallyx38
01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
For the money, the '06 STI. It handles like a dream and screams down the road. Although I have to admit, the NSX deserves LOTS of cudo's.

henk4
01-26-2006, 01:19 AM
length: 3580mm
width: 1640mm
height: 1170mm
weight: 580kg
engine: 790cc

that's an interesting choice, and I can follow your reasoning behind it, but do you have any personal relationship with the car? If so you could share them here

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20282&highlight=toyota+S800

GT40
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
yeah baby!

kingofthering
01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
For the money, the '06 STI. It handles like a dream and screams down the road. Although I have to admit, the NSX deserves LOTS of cudo's.
its kudos, not cudo's

250 GTO
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda NSX.

NSXType-R
01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, my choice would be the NSX. A close second would be the Z cars. The 350Z is hot.

On a sidenote, was the Honda S500 the first Japanese convertible?

KeRmIt
01-29-2006, 01:05 AM
R34 GTR... it has so much potential soooooooooooooo much potential !

F1_Master
01-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Tommy Kiara ZZII
Yeah, that's a great one, but the whereabouts today are unfornately unknown and there are hardly any pics....Unless Matt or someone else has posted new ones.

For me, tie between 1992 and 2002 NSX-R, and Type S Zero. The '92 for being a badass NSX, the new one for reliving the legend and the Zero because that is just an awesome model.:cool: :p

KM2
01-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Has the ASL ever been produced in anything but prototype form?

The NSX R is probably one of the all time greats. Winning the EVO COTY being something like 12 years old says a lot. Sadly few people could swallow such a price for a Honda. Even in the UK (probably the largest European market) something like 9 have been sold in 2004. :( Almost impossible to get a decent LHD one in Europe.

DanWheldon
02-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah the best car is R390 GT1 RoadCar because if it was a racing car, the Mazda 787B would win easily:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/DanWheldon/r390gt2.jpg

rev440
02-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Toyota GT1 road car

SilverG35SportC
02-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I havent seen a Gt1 road car..post pics pls..

h00t_h00t
02-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Imagine the race car minus some stickers.

thatdbeme
02-04-2006, 10:33 PM

There are quite a few things worse, Falcon fanboys would be among the list.

fpv_gtho
02-04-2006, 10:47 PM
There are quite a few things worse, Falcon fanboys would be among the list.

Do you feel happy now, havin dug back over 12 months to say your opinion on a post, conveniantly posted by someone with "Falcon" in their name? :rolleyes:

thatdbeme
02-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Do you feel happy now, havin dug back over 12 months to say your opinion on a post, conveniantly posted by someone with "Falcon" in their name? :rolleyes:

i do!

but in all seriousness, i stand by what i said. not sure what difference the elapsed time makes

Leenis24
02-05-2006, 12:09 PM
What about the Toyota Supra. Great speed, handleing, looks, interior, and they were reliable. Those engines could take a beating.

MrKipling
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Gotta be the NSX.

By the way, Ultima is an English company. It was designed by Lee Noble (yes, that Lee Noble) and is manufactured in an industrial unit in glamorous Hinckley. Or your garage.

jump15vc
02-05-2006, 09:37 PM
i definatly like the r390 as a racer, the gtr z-tune is probably my favorite road car

jump15vc
02-05-2006, 09:39 PM
o and note to all u skyline haters it doesnt get as much press as it does for no reason they are very good cars

clutch-monkey
02-05-2006, 09:43 PM
how would you know? driven one lately hmmm? oh wait no you haven't....because they didn't send any to america. yes they are good, but people hate them because they are soooo overhyped by the tuner culture.

ptclaus98
02-06-2006, 05:52 AM
<---is too young to have an opinion.

shadesMC
02-06-2006, 06:50 PM
how would you know? driven one lately hmmm? oh wait no you haven't....because they didn't send any to america. yes they are good, but people hate them because they are soooo overhyped by the tuner culture.

come on, you say it like half the people in this entire forum have even sat in the cars we talk about :p

i am a huge skyline fan. but here's something that i'm sure will surprise many of you "fanboy" haters out there - i hate tuner culture. i'm not a fanboy. i don't want to buy a skyline, throw dubs and a fat exhaust on it and maybe rust a few holes in it. i just want to own the damn thing and drive it like anyone else out there would drive their favorite car. it really sucks for the car to gain a bad rep from people who want to rice it, especially for those of us out there who actually just like the car and are interested by its racing and development history. unfortunately, most people don't know anything about the car itself or its original purpose. example: just like the ford gt40 was designed to win le mans, the gt-r was designed to dominate japan's touring circuit. which it did. same idea, different side of the world.

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-06-2006, 10:36 PM
come on, you say it like half the people in this entire forum have even sat in the cars we talk about :p

i am a huge skyline fan. but here's something that i'm sure will surprise many of you "fanboy" haters out there - i hate tuner culture. i'm not a fanboy. i don't want to buy a skyline, throw dubs and a fat exhaust on it and maybe rust a few holes in it. i just want to own the damn thing and drive it like anyone else out there would drive their favorite car. it really sucks for the car to gain a bad rep from people who want to rice it, especially for those of us out there who actually just like the car and are interested by its racing and development history. unfortunately, most people don't know anything about the car itself or its original purpose. example: just like the ford gt40 was designed to win le mans, the gt-r was designed to dominate japan's touring circuit. which it did. same idea, different side of the world.

you make some good points ... yet i still wanna slap u silly

scottie300z
02-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I dont think hype should be considered. It doesnt make a car great or not great for that matter, it might affect how you like it, but how you like it doesnt affect how great it is either. So i dont think it matters if the tuner culture has latch on to it, its beside the point.

The mass produced road cars that i would consider:
~Nsx
~22b
~Gt-R

kingofthering
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
NSX-R
Nissan Skyline GT-R Z-Tune
Toyota Corolla Trueno hatchback

2ndclasscitizen
02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
the EVO, probably the 6. I prefer the look of 3 though

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
NSX-R
Nissan Skyline GT-R Z-Tune
Toyota Corolla Trueno hatchback

NSX-R yes
Z-Tune ... maybe
Trueno ... u've got to be jokin

Rockefella
02-07-2006, 06:05 PM
NSX-R yes
Z-Tune ... maybe
Trueno ... u've got to be jokin
Agreed

kingofthering
02-07-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah, in a way i am joking but it does have a pretty good layout and weight.

jcp123
02-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Probably my favorite is the Datsun 240Z...not really a true sportscar, but close. It has the sportscar proportioning, plenty of aftermarket support, and I hear is quite fun to drive even in stock form, and even has decent gas mileage to boot!

And besides, it's one of the few Japanese cars I like anyway.

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-07-2006, 09:55 PM
yeah, in a way i am joking but it does have a pretty good layout and weight.

its layout is good and arguably the best for a sports car, with the other being mid engined but the trueno has horrible front grip and understeers horridly if you dont know what ur doin, and it has low weight cuz its really OLD and doesnt have to meet the crash tests and emissions tests of today

PsychoChimp22
02-07-2006, 10:46 PM
omg when i saw this i thought he got unbanned for a second haha..

playing along: i think the best car ever made in japan was my dads skyline r34 cuz it has 296 kw power and modified exhaust.

PsychoChimp22
02-07-2006, 10:48 PM
i cant think of any

I think this guy is just so cool that he should be unbanned.

plz.

lol.

clutch-monkey
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
playing along: i think the best car ever made in japan was my dads skyline r34 cuz it gets 296 kw power because of its modified exhaust.
fixed it for you :D

PsychoChimp22
02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
okok lol.

wurd

clutch-monkey
02-07-2006, 10:54 PM
the bad grammer was half the joke lol
not the grammar the reason why it has 296 kw is what i fixed, true ricer style :D

5zigen
02-10-2006, 06:31 AM
how about the evos? it handle like no one can imagine

5zigen
02-10-2006, 06:32 AM
th evos

Sabiego
02-15-2006, 07:50 AM
EVO is the BEST
VI or IX

SlickHolden
02-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I got a thing for a Honda s2000, Love them with a kit they look great and sound drools:D

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
NSX-R
RX7
S2000

all the other ones are too heavy and weighted down by unneccesary electronics and b/s that just dilutes the experience ... and yes that is directed at all the skyline fanboys

ptclaus98
02-17-2006, 06:04 PM

I'm only half kidding.

Regulator4700
02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Lexus LF-A Prototype

Blue Supra
02-19-2006, 06:25 PM
^^^
ugly. its not even a prototype. its a concept.

Toyota AE86 Sprinter (Hachi Roku)
Toyota Supra
Nissan Silvia S13, S14, S15
Toyota 2000GT
Honda NSX

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-19-2006, 08:23 PM
dude an 86 is not a sportscar

Blue Supra
02-20-2006, 12:19 AM
i beg to differ

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Joeabc/DSCF0279.jpg

charged
02-20-2006, 02:45 AM
dude an 86 is not a sportscar
NSX-R
RX7
S2000

all the other ones are too heavy and weighted down by unneccesary electronics and b/s that just dilutes the experience ... and yes that is directed at all the skyline fanboys

The ae86 meets all the criteria of your above post,its light,goodhp,RWD,no electronics and is a killer in club circuit racing. It might not be a sportcar in your opinion, it must be pretty close though. I drove and Evo 9 the other day, the electronics certainly dont dilute the experience.

STiKiller
04-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I thinks Its NO DOUBT the :D Mitsubishi Evolution:D . Then second place goes to a five way tie with the RX7, Supra, GTR r34, S2000, and NSX.

Ferrer
04-08-2007, 04:15 AM
How can a 4-door saloon be a sportscar?

clutch-monkey
04-08-2007, 04:17 AM
i agree, it has too many doors and the engine is in the wrong place for it to be a sports car. :D

jediali
04-08-2007, 04:19 AM
i take the evo to be a super saloon, like say an rs4

Matra et Alpine
04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
easy :)
http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/742/742573/mazda-rx-8--20061030004503828.jpg
RX-8

Ferrer
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
easy :)
RX-8
That's cheating a bit... :p

gtrjazz
04-08-2007, 11:30 AM
1/ Godzilla
2/ Supra
3/RX7
4/AE86

john14
04-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Without a doubt, I believe the best sports car which has been made in Japan is the third Generation Mazda RX-7 series 6 (series 7 and 8 are great as well).

Rotary twin turbo... drools. :). Also, the RX-7 is such a beautiful car as well. In my opinion, it one of the most beautiful cars of all time.

The Honda NSX would me my second choice for the best Japanese Sports car ever.

gouldo
04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Series 3 RX7 and Datsun 240Z. Both were affordable, fast & looked great.

Piazza
04-11-2007, 06:57 AM
I would have to go with the NSX... At least that is the one I would most like to own...

duffman2022
04-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Definitely best japanese sports car is the rx7.
second best would be daihatsu applause just cos the 1 we'v got has over
300,000km's has been constantly thrashed yet can still beat so many cars newer and more powerful than it.

tied with that would be my bros old 1983 mazda 323. did heaps of burnouts. Ran alright. sold it 2 the neighbours. then they found out it didnt have a head gasket.

and another 1 is (1992-1996) honda prelude v-tec. those things r mad.

Rotary.freak
08-19-2007, 05:47 PM
For me its the RX-7... such a beautiful machine as well...

JdmMugenITR
08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
the nsx-r hands down the best jap car. it pulls on gtr's and supra's. but then again i love skylines, supras, s2k's, rx-7's, mr2. some of these cars get forgotten over a period of time. the rx-7 has lost some fame and glory over the years. the nsx in the stastes lost its appreciation and became the most underrated car ever. people forget about the japanese supercars. but i hope the people that do appreciate them continue to and keep the tradition strong

don_85
08-21-2007, 05:09 AM
1. Honda NSX
2. Honda S2000
3. Honda Integra Type R
3. Mazda MX-5
4. Toyota MR2