PDA

View Full Version : please help indentifying

dydzi
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
can you please tell me what car it is? i know its rolls royce, but what model? :confused: i'd also like to know year of production
thanks in advance

:Exige:
12-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I cant remember what it was called .. it was Bluebird i think. Its the land speed record holder for a long time .. and isnt a Rolls Royce. Its powered with a Rolls engine however. That picture is from Goodwood FOS .. as Mustang and I will tell you :)

And year of production .. its not a production car. It only has 1 seat for a start .. very cramped one. Thats the only one ever made I think.

dydzi
12-29-2004, 03:25 PM
I cant remember what it was called .. it was Bluebird i think. Its the land speed record holder for a long time .. and isnt a Rolls Royce. Its powered with a Rolls engine however. That picture is from Goodwood FOS .. as Mustang and I will tell you :)

And year of production .. its not a production car. It only has 1 seat for a start .. very cramped one. Thats the only one ever made I think.

oh, it was on a rolls press website so i thought its rolls :o
yeah i know its not a production car but when was it made?

UCR
12-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Are planes on there site too?

dydzi
12-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Are planes on there site too?
as you can see...

McLareN
12-29-2004, 03:30 PM

True thats the Rolls-Royce Railton Blue Bird :)

dydzi
12-29-2004, 03:34 PM
True thats the Rolls-Royce Railton Blue Bird :)
thanks mclaren :)

oh and do you know know names of those two silver ones?

ScionDriver
12-29-2004, 09:48 PM
I am surprised they have airplanes on their website and such. I thought there was no affiliation between the airplane motors comapny and the motor car company anymore.

henk4
12-30-2004, 01:09 AM
It runs on the Rolls Royce Merlin aero engine, that also powered the Spitfire. It almost looks like the car has now a BMW badge, owners of RR.

Cedric
12-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Campbell's Bluebird?

nzbear
01-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Dydzi It is Seagraves world land speed record holding car. I believe about 1936. From memory it was powered by two Napier motors

Matt
01-11-2005, 09:06 AM
I am surprised they have airplanes on their website and such. I thought there was no affiliation between the airplane motors comapny and the motor car company anymore.

There is no affiliation anymore, but it's still part of their heritage.

Coventrysucks
01-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Ok so...

The blue car looks almost certain to be the 1935 Campbell-Railton-Rolls Royce Blue Bird, powered by a 2,500bhp supercharged Rolls-Royce Type R Schneider Trophy aircraft type.

The car with which Malcolm Campbell set his last land speed record at 301.13 mph.

The silver thing with wings looks to be the 1929 Schneider Trophy winning Supermarine S6, which was powered also powered by a 1,900bhp Rolls-Royce Type R Schneider Trophy aircraft type.

The plane was the Spitfire's direct ancestor.

The other silver thing is probably a replica of Blue Bird K4, a boat, powered by a Rolls-Royce Type R Schneider Trophy aircraft type, then a Goblin II jet, then a Rolls Royce type R again.

It was doing between 160-170mph when it hit a log and sunk, was recovered, was stripped and then burned.