PDA

View Full Version : Revised forums

Wouter Melissen
12-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Let us know what you think of the changes and/or the problems you run into.

<AAA-MOD>
12-19-2003, 09:13 AM
DAMN, this is looking good. kinda cozy in the blue scheme.

SL500
12-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Those colours are the best,for the car forums
and i think attach more files is a great thing,

more-boost1555
12-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Wow this is really nice! Good job guys, everything is so neat and tastefull now. Very cool, one thing though....can you explain the reputation points thing to me? :confused:

henk4
12-19-2003, 01:21 PM
good to have the possibility to post more than one picture at the time. The other new issues I might be able to find out over time, or may be not.

Batmobile_Turbo
12-19-2003, 02:13 PM
the text is too light for the light blue in these two pics, but other than that the forums are twice as good as before.

NoOne
12-19-2003, 04:49 PM
I think the new forum layout looks great, same goes for the new features.

Nice job Wouter.

fpv_gtho
12-19-2003, 05:13 PM
whats the go with the little boxes next to how many posts you have: most people have grey but a few have green

NoOne
12-20-2003, 07:33 AM
whats the go with the little boxes next to how many posts you have: most people have grey but a few have green
It appears to be the "reputation" rating, grey appears to be neutral or not rated and green seems to be a good rating.

Wouter Melissen
12-20-2003, 11:21 AM
the text is too light for the light blue in these two pics, but other than that the forums are twice as good as before.

On my system these two sets of texts are black and not white. You might want to clear your cache and try again. Let me know if the problem persists.

Egg Nog
12-20-2003, 05:20 PM
To be blatantly honest with you, I'm really beginning to miss the old forums. On these ones, there's way too much room being taken up by little icons and the user bar along the righthand side. It just seems soooo much more difficult to keep track of. If you ask me, simplicity is key.

I'm sorry to say this, but I liked the old forums a whole lot better.

fpv_gtho
12-20-2003, 05:52 PM
It appears to be the "reputation" rating, grey appears to be neutral or not rated and green seems to be a good rating.

i had a feeling it was that, not many people have gotten positive reputations yet then

do you think its possible to get red?

henk4
12-21-2003, 01:50 AM
To be blatantly honest with you, I'm really beginning to miss the old forums. On these ones, there's way too much room being taken up by little icons and the user bar along the righthand side. It just seems soooo much more difficult to keep track of. If you ask me, simplicity is key.

I'm sorry to say this, but I liked the old forums a whole lot better.

Tend to disagree. I don't know which user bar you are referring to, the one that appears during the writing of the posts? There is none on my screen when reading anything. A second very good point I just discovered is that the notification emails of new posts now contain the actually message send, so you can save yourself a lot of time not having to open posts like: "Wow", or "LOL".
So try to keep up with it, and maybe you'll get used to it. I think you are too young to already become a conservative.

r34_296kw
12-21-2003, 02:10 AM

I'm sorry to say this, but I liked the old forums a whole lot better.i agree but i think this forum needed to be changed to comply with the website change but yea simplicity is the key i think wouter didnt need to take this change to a whole new level...next time wouter you might want to take a few suggestions before doing changes and not just giving a 30 minute warning

Wouter Melissen
12-21-2003, 02:37 AM
The whole forums came as a software package, so we have to take the good with the bad. After working with it for a while I have gotten to really like the many new features. Especially the attachment feature is awesome. All old uploads now also have thumbnails.
I think most of it is getting familiar with the new layout and options and then you'll like it as much as I do.

fpv_gtho
12-21-2003, 03:43 AM
i personally like the new forums. sure, its taken a little while to get around the new placing of all the previous features and the new ones, but im sure in time everyone will see the improvement made

Egg Nog
12-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Actually, I'm getting used to it now. My bad.

You can ignore anything I said earlier. :)

crisis
12-21-2003, 10:02 PM
The whole forums came as a software package, so we have to take the good with the bad. After working with it for a while I have gotten to really like the many new features. Especially the attachment feature is awesome. All old uploads now also have thumbnails.
I think most of it is getting familiar with the new layout and options and then you'll like it as much as I do.
Hey, You got asked to change it and you did. I think it looks good , clean and fresh (but what would I know). You cant please everyone, but you pleased quite a few.

henk4
12-23-2003, 03:25 PM
I have just found out that I am on a "distinguished" road, together with Crisis and a lot of other people. Is there any indication to where this road will lead us? Oblivion?

NoOne
12-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Where and what is this "distinguished" designation?

henk4
12-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Where and what is this "distinguished" designation?

Just point the cursor to the green dot on the left side. You are also on the same road, looks sort of crowdy

NoOne
12-23-2003, 04:39 PM
OK, so we are "distinguished" as having good reputations. Maybe the red dot reputation marker dictates the road to oblivion. :)

fpv_gtho
12-23-2003, 06:17 PM
so does anyone have a red dot then

Falcon500
12-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Well ive given a few people a bad wrap in their reps and with the 17s points i take off the person who i dont it too had a grey box still although it said they have been misgevious in the past. One thing i think migh be good to add wouter is how many points youcan take away like depending on what your number of posts is ill use FPV as aguniea pig here he can take off 20points at any given time but what if it doesnt warrent a full 20 points? just an idea.

Misho
12-23-2003, 09:14 PM
what is this new reputation system and how does it work ????

Egg Nog
12-24-2003, 04:36 AM
I totally don't understand the ratings system. So far, I've been under the impression that you give points that are proportional to how many you have.

Does this mean that a new user with 0 points could be at 100 if a user with 100 clicked "I approve"?

What if someone with -4 points said "I approve"? Would the user they rated drop 4 points?

I think that every approval/non-approval should be worth 1 or -1, regardless of user or post count. That way, good and bad members will sort themselves out accordingly, determined only by the repeated quality shown in their posts, and the general forum view of that particular user.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

fpv_gtho
12-24-2003, 04:42 AM
am i one of the only people that understand it or something? the relationship between posts and points, is 100 posts is equal to 1 point. that means that if i like someones post, i can credit them ~21 points, but if i think theyve made a stupid and utterly pointless post i can take away the same amount.

i personally think the amount of points everyone has should be shown, rather than a coloured dot. they both show who you should listen to and who you shouldnt, but showing the amount of points everyone have would put it on a bit more of a scale

henk4
12-24-2003, 04:42 AM
I totally don't understand the ratings system. So far, I've been under the impression that you give points that are proportional to how many you have.

Does this mean that a new user with 0 points could be at 100 if a user with 100 clicked "I approve"?

What if someone with -4 points said "I approve"? Would the user they rated drop 4 points?

I think that every approval/non-approval should be worth 1 or -1, regardless of user or post count. That way, good and bad members will sort themselves out accordingly, determined only by the repeated quality shown in their posts, and the general forum view of that particular user.

Who actually cares??

Egg Nog
12-24-2003, 04:49 AM
Who actually cares??

I do. That's why I wrote that post. :P

As a moderator, I'm pretty curious to know the workings behind the forum and so on... if you don't really care, then why bother posting? :)

henk4
12-24-2003, 05:11 AM
I do. That's why I wrote that post. :P

As a moderator, I'm pretty curious to know the workings behind the forum and so on... if you don't really care, then why bother posting? :)

Appreciate your professional interest. :D

henk4
12-24-2003, 05:18 AM
i personally think the amount of points everyone has should be shown, rather than a coloured dot. they both show who you should listen to and who you shouldnt, but showing the amount of points everyone have would put it on a bit more of a scale

I prefer personal judgement over a generalised scaling system to decide to whom I should listen or not. As a sideline to this I would prefer if the moderators could be more involved in dealing with the comments to the cars on the main site. If have a feeling that there currently is a sort of erratic and ad-hoc admission regime, which make comments disappear.

Wouter Melissen
12-24-2003, 05:32 AM

To rate you need at least a rating of 1. The amount of points you can give or take away depends both on your post number and reputation number (right now one point for 100 of both).

NoOne
12-24-2003, 06:20 AM

I'm with you here, approval/disapproval should be worth only 1/-1 point, I'm not going to go out of my way to seek approval of FPV_GTHO or Falcon500 -(no offense guys) - just because they can affect my reputation rating to such a great extent.

fpv_gtho
12-24-2003, 06:33 AM
lol, just remember its the quality of the posts that the reputation is supposed to reflect

henk4
12-24-2003, 06:39 AM
I have decided to give up posting on this issue. I am afraid it will going to cost me my reputation.

NoOne
12-24-2003, 06:59 AM
lol, just remember its the quality of the posts that the reputation is supposed to reflect

Yes, but the reputation is a direct reflection on the poster. At this moment my reputation rating is a 23 -
(a bit low for a helluva nice guy like me ... ;) ) -
but if you didn't like a post I make, you could knock that back to a 3 .... I'm not worried about my reputation rating so much as the amount of influence single users have on other users.

Misho
12-24-2003, 10:27 PM
hey Henk, wait for me. im coming with u !