PDA

View Full Version : subaru svx?

Renesis
01-01-2005, 04:52 PM
what do we know about the subaru svx?
i had the pleasure of test driving one at a small dealership, '92 AWD 113000 miles and a 3.0 boxer engine that poops out 230.
really wierd windows
5000$
i dont know about ti, anyone wanna give me a good history lesson/ quick mechanical-performance diagnostic?

Quiggs
01-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Decently fun car to drive. Lacked a manual tranny, and it could stand to lose a few hundred pounds. $5000 seems a little steep for that mileage though.

Renesis
01-01-2005, 07:32 PM
in whole honesty, when i went to the dealer i never heard of an svx, so it sounds like it contributed some to the impreza line. maybe?
i didnt mind the transmission at all, of course, stick is always preferable but in this case it never seemed to matter.

Matt
01-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Watch the transmissions. They are VERY prone to overheating. Nearly all long-term owners have either gotten used to replacing the transmission often or they have installed an aftermarket transmission cooler. I almost purchased one a few years ago and this reputation is what kept me from going through with it.

MinnesotaSTi
01-14-2005, 01:16 AM
My family owned one of those - it was a bit heavy, and it did have funky delorean-esque windows (the sales person said this had to do with rolling down the windows at high speed, but all it ever did for us was make it impossible to get food at a drive thru). We had problems with the tranny and the electrical system. I would recommend you stay away from it.

P.S. If you do decide to buy it, I hope it's not the exact car we owned - my mom ran a stopsign, got T-boned and pushed into an oncomming semi. The car was just barely not totalled, so my mom traded it in on a legacy.

6'bore
01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Stop digging up old threads plz :mad: :mad:

MinnesotaSTi
01-14-2005, 01:39 PM
oops - sorry it was on the 1st page....I'll be more cautious from now on!

Wouter Melissen
01-14-2005, 01:49 PM
This is a fully active thread, he was absolutely right in posting here. Back off, please.

Matt
01-14-2005, 09:33 PM

This thread was started less than two weeks ago - chill out.

Sybaris
02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I have one. No, they don't appeal to everyone but definitely a head turner.
The later models have had upgrades and don't have nearly the problems of the earlier releases.

Renesis
02-01-2005, 12:36 PM
woah i thought this thread died a long time ago...

i went back to that dealer a few weeks ago and decided (based mostly on matts transmission comment, and its cumbersome weight) no. i also passed up a 96 celica with something like 80,000 miles for the same price.

also a week later i gave up on a 280z, which is now coming back to bite me in the ass :p

its been 4 months since i lost my camry, and i havent replaced it mostly due to stubbornness.

my next pursuit? a 1990 rx7 ( :eek: )
so far so good...

Renesis
02-22-2005, 12:00 AM
my next pursuit? a 1990 rx7 ( :eek: )
so far so good...

so far so not good.
and correction its actually an 88

ive found this rx7 sitting in the woods of an old lady's yard. its sort of a boring grey and has steel wheels, and is suffering from some rust below the rear end. other then that its sound mechanically except for warped rotors (the brakes, not the engine) but thats childs play to fix. ive asked the lady for it, offered 12 hundred for it, but shes still weary of letting it go. apparently it was her husbands last plaything and shes still holding on to a last feeble memory. the lady is an angel, and i dont want to wrench it away, so im letting her think about it for awhile. of course while shes a-pondering, im a-spending the otherwise well-invested 1200$ on alcohol and other necessitys; all in all a nasty habit which im sure we can all account for..

but anyway i dont think i know enough about this car, and i would like to before i try to dip my financial breadstick into the automobilia marinara sauce. so could any one out there give me some good solid information about this car, like common problems that i don't know about, or maybe some of its history.

what i basically know is this isnt "really" a true rx7- the second generation was a bigger, clunkier version of the nimble first version that really posed more as a boulevard cruiser than a backroad fury. sounds a lot like the 80s.. but thats good anyway- insurance is only mildly high in this case, and its practical for my uses. im not going to be racing anytime soon, so there is no reason to be killing funds on a third generation that would serve only to scoot around suburbia and occasionally shuffle its way into the city.

one of the things i am worried about it cooling. given the nasty problems rotaries have with thermal expansion, and the technological backwash the late 80s was, i wonder if there were major problems in the cooling systems.

Renesis
02-26-2005, 03:13 PM
thanks for the help people

jcp123
02-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I thought you could get the SVX with stick...? I remember looking into them years ago before I got into classic cars, and I am almost certain you could get a stick version.