PDA

View Full Version : viper/gallardo/sl55AMG

henk4
12-20-2003, 11:32 AM
A german magazine (Auto-Bild) produced a comparative test between the SRT-10, the Gallardo and the SL55-AMG. The Gallardo came out first and some figures/results are interesting to reproduce here

SRT-10: 8.3 litre, 711NM/4250 torque, 506 BHP/5600, 0-100 4.8 secs, top speed 306 kmph, test consumption 20.8 litres per 100 km., test weight 1585 kg's. Price 105000 euro

Gallardo: 5.0 litre, 510NM/4500, 500 BHP/7800, 0-100 4.5 secs, top speed 309 kmph, test consumption 18.7 litres per 100 km, test weight 1640 kg's, price 148480 euro.

SL: 5.5 litre, 700 NM/2750, 500 BHP/6100 0-100 4.7 secs(autobox), top speed 250 kph, (governed), test consumption 17.7 litres per 100 km, test weight 2010 kg's;price 126556 euro.

So what can we conclude: The Viper with the biggest engine and the lowest weight cannot keep up with the Gallardo, and not even with the Benz, although its 400 kg's heavier. It will take the most fuel of all three, but can only take 70 litre, forcing you to refuel every 300 km or so. The Benz recorded fuel consumption is probably less because it was not tested to the topspeeds of the other two because it is governed.
Although the price of the Viper is 50% lower than the Gallardo, and 25% lower than the Benz, the German magazine observed that it's behaviour is so tricky especially under wintery or wet conditions (there is no ESP) that you would better be advised to use it between april and october. (It would save you some road tax too).

Quiggs
12-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I think they missed the point of the Viper... It's not supposed to get good gas mileage. It's not supposed to have traction control. It's supposed to be able to have wheelspin in 3rd gear. And that's not really what Europeans are looking for in a car.
Personally, I'd rather have the Viper than either of the others. If you have the money to buy one of those cars, you have the money to put gas in it.
:p

SPHFerrari
12-21-2003, 02:30 PM
most definatly the Gallardo. it has the quickest 0 - 100 and highest top speed of the three and I love its styling far more than that of the viper or SL

Batmobile_Turbo
12-21-2003, 05:01 PM
even though i like the Viper the most out of the three, i'd want the SL55 AMG the most because of it's everyday driveability and quality.

DiabloGTR
12-21-2003, 06:30 PM
I'd take the Benz as an everyday car, but if I was given the choice of taking a weekend get-away/personal car I'd probably take the Gallardo.
Auto-Bild should of tested the Benz and Gallardo with the new Ford GT, that car would be better suited to be compared and compete with the Lamborghini Gallardo and the Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG.

From all that I've heard and read, the Gallardo is one kickass car. GO LAMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

henk4
12-22-2003, 03:04 AM
I think they missed the point of the Viper... It's not supposed to get good gas mileage. It's not supposed to have traction control. It's supposed to be able to have wheelspin in 3rd gear. And that's not really what Europeans are looking for in a car.
Personally, I'd rather have the Viper than either of the others. If you have the money to buy one of those cars, you have the money to put gas in it.
:p

Gas is increasingly becoming a problem when you have to pay 1.5 US$ per litre. The magazine also mentioned that even with ESP shut off, it was very difficult to make the Gallardo twist its tail. The point of having wheel spin in 3rd gear escapes me. Its not the most efficient way to move forward. Why need all that power if the drive train cannot transfer that into forward motion?
What really surprised me was the fact that despite having the lowest weight, the Viper was the slowest car, certainly compared to the much heavier Benz.

Egg Nog
12-22-2003, 09:01 PM
I'll take a Gallardo. As underwhelming as its looks first appeared to me, it's actually grown on me. Oh yeah, and it totally blows away both the Viper and the SL55. Heck, you can't even buy an SL55 with a manual transmission...

Misho
12-22-2003, 09:41 PM
i will probaby pick the SL. i just love this car and im a big fan of mercedes benz, especially //AMGs. it is also superior in term of drivability and reliability. as for the viper, i dont think its really comparable to these cars. its a bit different if u think of it.

also someone mentioned the ford gt40, actually car & driver compared that car to the porsche GT3 and the ferrari 360 challenge stradale. beleive it or not ,they chose the ford as the winner! maybe coz theyre american or maybe coz its really better but i just cant beleive it.

SL500
12-23-2003, 09:19 AM
you can't even buy an SL55 with a manual transmission...Must know more about SL55.........Transmission: 5-Speed Manu-Matic

http://www.fast-autos.net/mercedes/mercedessl55.html
http://www.fastcarforum.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Misho
12-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Must know more about SL55.........Transmission: 5-Speed Manu-Matic

http://www.fast-autos.net/mercedes/mercedessl55.html
http://www.fastcarforum.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ok, that makes what hew said true !! u cant get it with a manual tranny. coz a manuamatic isnt a manual !!

Egg Nog
12-24-2003, 03:18 AM
Must know more about SL55.........Transmission: 5-Speed Manu-Matic

If there's only two pedals on the floor, it's not a manual :) With those silly semi-automatics, to a proper extent you can't even select your own gears, but rather just when to change them...

SL500
12-24-2003, 09:48 AM
If there's only two pedals on the floor, it's not a manual :) With those silly semi-automatics, to a proper extent you can't even select your own gears, but rather just when to change them...
You can change your gear on the steering wheel,like a ferrari,that isnt enough?

Egg Nog
12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
You can change your gear on the steering wheel,like a ferrari,that isnt enough?

There's no clutch! You need a clutch! That little third pedal to the left of the brake! :)

With steering wheel paddles, you can only switch up and down. You could never do a 4-2 downshift for a corner. Anyways, I know Ferrari's system is faster than anyone could possibly do by hand, by I really think I'd just prefer a manual.

SL500
12-25-2003, 05:27 AM
There's no clutch! You need a clutch! That little third pedal to the left of the brake! :)

With steering wheel paddles, you can only switch up and down. You could never do a 4-2 downshift for a corner. Anyways, I know Ferrari's system is faster than anyone could possibly do by hand, by I really think I'd just prefer a manual.
Yes,i like manual,too,but that works really fast for you(to change the gears),not?

Egg Nog
12-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Yes,i like manual,too,but that works really fast for you(to change the gears),not?

I don't get the pleasure of driving from how quickly gears can be shifted. It's the clutch, the lever positions, and everything... As I said:

Anyways, I know Ferrari's system is faster than anyone could possibly do by hand, by I really think I'd just prefer a manual.

DiabloGTR
12-25-2003, 10:52 PM
I don't get the pleasure of driving from how quickly gears can be shifted. It's the clutch, the lever positions, and everything... As I said:

Mercedes-Benz should give the option of a good ol' fashioned manual transmission. Too bad that most people that buy the cars probably prefer automatic transmission.

Egg Nog
12-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Mercedes-Benz should give the option of a good ol' fashioned manual transmission. Too bad that most people that buy the cars probably prefer automatic transmission.

In general, people are so lazy. It bothers me :)

A lot of the time, people will avoid a stick because it hinders their ability to talk on their cellphone while driving, which is another common plight of modern motoring. They tend to buy SUVs, drive to Starbucks, and crash into small cars while spilling coffee on their $400 designer pants. Despite the fact that they've killed 3 people in the (now even more) compact car, they feel that their car is "safe". :rolleyes:

Okay, woah... I'm getting waaaay off-track here...