PDA

View Full Version : Australia - $1 Billion in Aid

Blitz_
01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Yay go Johnny Howard, bloody awsum prime minister, and not being biased or obnoxious, i honestly think he is the best leader in the world, theres no bad dirt on him ( maybe children over board ) but hes clean as a whistle, anyhow i hope the casualties dont go higher, so many ppl killed and i feel sorry for all those who have lost families homes and those who where really dependent on tourism. I hope the Walton family and Gates donate to. The king of Thailand offered to fund the education to raise all of the orphans until they graduated - good on him!

dimlight
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
so its not just in movies that aussies are nice...
good job

fpv_gtho
01-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Howard's not that great, he's still a politician remember :p

Half of that $1AUD billion is in loans though, so its not exactly the same as the aid everyone else is giving

dimlight
01-06-2005, 08:52 AM
bush gave 10 thousand .... and you KNOW he has tons of the green ones if you saw farehnheit 911

fpv_gtho
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Well you dont need to see F 911 to know that, people say he's spending $US1 billion a week in Iraq, but i'll keep my opinion of all that to myself....

fpv_gtho
01-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Where did that happen though, like if the west coast of Australia was hit by a tidal wave a couple of metres high or anything from a 9.0 quake, we wouldnt need any aid

SlickHolden
01-06-2005, 09:40 AM
We dont need to boast about it, We give like so many have it's human nature to help people.
But as for howard come on it's the public that's digging in there pockets so we cant give him the credit for giveing our money away, If i had 2 million i would give 1 million, If i had $20 i would give it don't pat me on the bloody back it's no big deal.

Cotterik
01-06-2005, 02:15 PM
I thought everything in australia was imported :rolleyes:

motorsportnerd
01-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Where did that happen though, like if the west coast of Australia was hit by a tidal wave a couple of metres high or anything from a 9.0 quake, we wouldnt need any aid

If the East Coast was flattened and there was destruction on a mass scale, Australia would need international help as well.
India and Thailand both initially said they could handle the disaster relief without help, but both have swallowed pride and accepted that help from outside isn't an indication that they are incapable of handling things, but rather a result of the natural human willingness to help those in real trouble.

SlickHolden
01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
lol Did you also know that 100% of Australian exports are from overseas:p

pimp_squeak
01-06-2005, 03:34 PM
I think it's sad that some tragedies are ignored and then things like this get put all over the TV screens of the world. A couple years ago there was horrible flooding in China, hundreds of thousands of deaths there and not a penny of international aid.

ZeTurbo
01-06-2005, 05:18 PM
I think it's sad that some tragedies are ignored and then things like this get put all over the TV screens of the world. A couple years ago there was horrible flooding in China, hundreds of thousands of deaths there and not a penny of international aid.
I was just about to make this point.

DARFOUR, thousands die EVERYDAY!!! more people have died of hunger in that region of the world than you can imagine. all of a sudden evryone feels so generous and give because this catastrophy is allover the news. the countries hit are not even that bad off. indonesia india are doing relativelly well compared to some countries in affrica in which children die everyday of hunger. i find it so hypocritical of the world to give to these countries so much money and resources when there are so many other places in the world where there are bigger needs. And it had to fall arround christmas time, so like that people give 20$ and feel good the rest of the year.

dont get me wrong, the tsunamis were a natural disaster and it is very sad. but i cant help but feel sickened by the hypocrisy of the world.

if u gave 20$ for the tsunami victims, will u give 10 to the people in haiti, in africa, in afghanistan??
think about that.

SPHFerrari
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
yea its dvery sad that its like that. unfortunately that disaster hasnt eally received media attention.

Blitz_
01-06-2005, 06:31 PM
the power of the media, what can i say, they can really save a country, like the areas effected by the tsuamis, or totally abandon the needy, like the countries stated abouve, they also destroy peoples life, but at the same time alert us of the good in people.

PsychoChimp22
01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
So how much has my retarded predi-less country donoted at this point??? anybody know??

I heard that the amount we have donated is spent like in a few days just in Iraq.... :p

clutch-monkey
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
350million USD i think

fpv_gtho
01-06-2005, 08:51 PM
If the East Coast was flattened and there was destruction on a mass scale, Australia would need international help as well.
India and Thailand both initially said they could handle the disaster relief without help, but both have swallowed pride and accepted that help from outside isn't an indication that they are incapable of handling things, but rather a result of the natural human willingness to help those in real trouble.

Thats the east coast though, if that goes say goodbye to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Wollongong, Newcastle, Cairns, Surfers Paradise...the list goes on. We've got 20 million people and 4 million of them are in Sydney alone with 3 in Melbourne and Brisbane each as well.

I suppose with how built up the coastline is here, that'd cause alot of damage as well

motorsportnerd
01-07-2005, 03:58 AM
if u gave 20$ for the tsunami victims, will u give 10 to the people in haiti, in africa, in afghanistan??
think about that.

I give money to Oxfam every month. I would like to think that others support charities or their choice as well. Unfortunately, most people who gave to help rebuild Asia will never give a second thought to helping the much worse off peoples of Cambodia, Africa, Bangladesh, etc.

You're right about the hypocrisy, but doesn't mean that we shouldn't support the people of Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Thailand and India in their efforts to rebuild following the tsunami. Its just that helping the victims of the tsunami should be the start not the finish of the genorisity of the world's people.

I'd urge everyone who can afford even a small amount of money to give regularly to the charity of their choice (ie: Oxfam, World Vision, etc) and to remember millions of the world's people are in less fortunate circumstances and deserve a chance to get to the first step out of poverty.

crisis
01-12-2005, 06:44 PM

DARFOUR, thousands die EVERYDAY!!! more people have died of hunger in that region of the world than you can imagine. all of a sudden evryone feels so generous and give because this catastrophy is allover the news. the countries hit are not even that bad off. indonesia india are doing relativelly well compared to some countries in affrica in which children die everyday of hunger. i find it so hypocritical of the world to give to these countries so much money and resources when there are so many other places in the world where there are bigger needs. And it had to fall arround christmas time, so like that people give 20$ and feel good the rest of the year.

dont get me wrong, the tsunamis were a natural disaster and it is very sad. but i cant help but feel sickened by the hypocrisy of the world.

think about that.
As individuals we can only donate so much. That the problems in Sudan are not high on everyones list of priorities is due to the fact that it too is not the only part of the world suffering some kind of crisis. Sending aid to a country that is immersed in a vicious civil war is of questionable benifit to those innocent people suffering as I believe the govenrment there is involved in much of the carnage. Therfore aid wold not be issued indiscriminantly. The UN has threatened sanctions if the govenment does not stop the ethnic cleansing. How then do we send aid? If we cast our memories back to Somalia it is evident that international intervention in civil wars of this nature need to be well planned and decisive. Even the best intentions can come unstuck. And there will always be some opposition from somwhere to that intervention,

SlickHolden
01-13-2005, 12:53 PM

think about that.
We don't let much go by here, If you went to a Shopping centre there are always peope asking for donations to just about anything you could think of.

Mustang
01-13-2005, 12:59 PM
this kid at college today asked me how much id donated

naturally i said nothin

he then went on to tlel me how his dad remorgaged his house (£200,000) and donated it to the charity :eek:

UCR
01-13-2005, 01:03 PM
What an idiot.

Kind hearted fool really, the british public have already made well over 100 million.

Mustang
01-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Kind hearted fool really, the british public have already made well over 100 million.

he isnt british :p

and were expected to be paying way over £700,000,000

UCR
01-13-2005, 01:10 PM
what country is he from?

Mustang
01-13-2005, 01:14 PM
what country is he from?

not surehe is a muslim though if that narrows it down :p

SlickHolden
01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I think thats going to far, If i had $200 $1000 to give i would. But right now my bank account reads $4.35. And i just got payed:(

UCR
01-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Bawhawhaah!

SlickHolden
01-13-2005, 01:53 PM
i não compreenda que você dito?

UCR
01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
what? :D

SlickHolden
01-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Thats what i said lol:p