PDA

View Full Version : Scimitar GTE

drakkie
01-07-2005, 01:25 AM
There is one for sale in my hometown, and i really like it.As i am starting my driving lessons in 9 months, i am looking around a bit for a nice car.This car is up for sale for a long while now, and i always liked it.I walked around it, and looked underneath it for rust, but it was quite hard to find any.inside the right rear fender there was a little bit, but nthing really concerning.Anyway, here is my question :

How much should you pay for one of these ?
How heavy are they ?(because of weight based road taxes here)
Are they expensive in maintenance ?
Are parts easy to get or not ?

I am saving as much as i can now, i already got 400€ and i hope to increase it to atleast 1000€ within the year... Is this enough ?

henk4
01-07-2005, 01:31 AM
There isb one for sale in my hometown, and i really like it.As i am starting my driving lessons in 9 months, i am looking around a bit for a nice car.This car is up for sale for a long while now, and i always liked it.I walked around it, and looked underneath it for rust, but it was quite hard to find any.inside the right rear fender there was a little bit, but nthing really concerning.Anyway, here is my question :

How much should you pay for one of these ?
How heavy are they ?(because of weight based road taxes here)
Are they expensive in maintenance ?
Are parts easy to get or not ?

I am saving as much as i can now, i already got 400€ and i hope to increase it to atleast 1000€ within the year... Is this enough ?

In the UK an average GTE would cost about 1250 pound. (about 1600 Euro), so you are on your way. Being an English car parts supply should not be too difficult but try to find a club website for better info. There is a car in our village as well, but I have never seen it moving.

drakkie
01-07-2005, 01:34 AM
In the UK an average GTE would cost about 1250 pound. (about 1600 Euro), so you are on your way. Being an English car parts supply should not be too difficult but try to find a club website for better info. There is a car in our village as well, but I have never seen it moving.

i saw it moving abut four months ago, and since then its at the same place.the interior looks really nice, i think itt has been restored not to long ago...

Spastik_Roach
01-07-2005, 02:14 AM
I like those cars, they're pretty cool!

drakkie
01-07-2005, 02:23 AM
I like those cars, they're pretty cool!

thats why i want one :D

Sei cilindri
01-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi Drakkie,

Sorry, but I don't look here everyday so my reaction is a bit late

I too love the looks of a Scimitar . Alas, my wife Nora is not to keen about them :confused:
When purchasing a decent Scimitar SE6 in the Netherlands it will set you back at least Euro 3500,- and probably more
This is a considerable price difference with the UK I admit but supply here is not so big.

Beware of the pitfalls when buying a Scimitar
The SE6B is the best: they have a galvanised chassis with is important because they tend to rust
Another plus is the power steering witch was standard
Engine wise it is the V6 of the Scorpio wich can be a thursty beast.
The body is of glasfibre and is important to check for cracks
As for parts : they are of very mainstream cars and will not present a problem to get hold off

If you chose to go for a earlier SE6a than check for corrossion on the chassis. On the plusside : they are mostly free of tax since a lot of those models are already 25 years old !
If I was you I'd ask my uncle to go with me should you ever consider buying one :D

Matra et Alpine
01-16-2005, 03:00 PM
On any classic car you should find the club and ask the questions there.
There will be many memebers offering advice as 'Sei' has already.
Also, many times they know the car that is for sale and can advise on it's history and price etc.
http://www.scimweb.com/rssoc/

henk4
01-17-2005, 01:25 AM
if you don't find a Scimitar you might want to ask your uncle to fetch you one of these, they are "almost" maintenance free :)

drakkie
01-21-2005, 03:15 AM
if you don't find a Scimitar you might want to ask your uncle to fetch you one of these, they are "almost" maintenance free :)

well, i have found one already, but as 'sei' said they are almost 3500€ i think this is a bit too expensive for me....

anyother suggestions for a nice CLASSIC car of no more as 1000€ ?They must be atleast 25 years old cos of road taxes and not too expenive to maintain....

Maybe the Fiat 2300 is a good idea, ill find some prices on it...

Edit: sorry, the FIAT is a bit too expensive

Sei cilindri
01-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Sorry Drakkie but any car below the 1000 Euro will not be much of a car , let alone a classic car
I think you have to save a little bit more to buy a decent car . It is not a good idea to buy a cheap car which has lots of repairs waiting to be done as this will cost you considerably more to sort

drakkie
01-22-2005, 03:40 AM
i know that, but with my current income, even if i save as much as i can, i dont get much more money as 1000 € in a 9month time. i am looking for a better job however..

Spastik_Roach
01-22-2005, 05:01 AM
I saw a Scimitar today...very nice sounding cars..