PDA

View Full Version : All Computer Geniuses...I Need HELP, and FAST!!!!

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 08:48 AM
ok it's like this. I have a folder of about 650-700MB of cars including vids and all. Now what happens is, after I finish sortin about 400-600 of them(renaming 'em and putting them in the right folder etc) i go and look at the total amount of MB that it takes. I expect it'll take less now cause my screwed up PC saves all my pics in Bitmap and i changed them all to jpeg. which takes very little space. What I see? the folder has only 144 files. It actually has about around a little less or more than 3000. I also see that instead of my folder being 600+/- MB its only 21.8 MB!!! My whole folder, instead of being 1.40+/- GB is only 22.9 MB!!! When I check my car vid's folder its something like 300+ MB. This starts to worry me but i don't do anything. Now, when i was choosing some pics to put in my Multimedia rally thread I see there are some pics which arent showing even in thumbnail mode. I go to the folder, click on it and it says No Preview Available. I cancel and go again. I see that some of the pics which i couldn't see before i can see now. Now i get really scared and come here.

Can anybody PLEASE help me?

16-4Veyron
01-10-2005, 08:50 AM

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 08:51 AM
:confused:

Cotterik
01-10-2005, 08:59 AM
ummmm..hmmm

maybe they cant be converted to jpeg from bitmap so they become corrupted, try renaming them back to what they were. I dont see how they could disappear, try searchin the whole drive for pics of any kind, they couldve been misplaced. But just tell me, what exactly do you want to do? get the pics back or find where they are?

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 09:04 AM
ummmm..hmmm

maybe they cant be converted to jpeg from bitmap so they become corrupted, try renaming them back to what they were. I dont see how they could disappear, try searchin the whole drive for pics of any kind, they couldve been misplaced. But just tell me, what exactly do you want to do? get the pics back or find where they are?
I basically converted them from Bitmap to jpeg.
if i'm lucky, i still might have the bitmap's in the recycle bin. I want my missing pics back and not for my other pics to go

DodgeNitroBIRM
01-10-2005, 09:06 AM
What did you use to change them to .jpeg? If you used a program, there should be an option before saving them in you paint program (right where it asks you what to name the file and what format) when converting to .jpeg (or saving as a .jpeg) to allow for a preview and to change the size of the file.

drakkie
01-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Only as a last resort (if having windows XP): Go to start, programs, burea accesesories, system workset, system recovery.Use the wizard to select a date on which a backup was made before this happened.Using this wizard the entire computer, will be put back to how it was on the backup date.All programs installed/uninstalled , and quite possibly all pics too. But only use this if you really cant find any other way .

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 11:23 AM
What did you use to change them to .jpeg? If you used a program, there should be an option before saving them in you paint program (right where it asks you what to name the file and what format) when converting to .jpeg (or saving as a .jpeg) to allow for a preview and to change the size of the file.
I used paint. That option was there if I right-clicked the file.

Matra et Alpine
01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
That doesn't include user files Drakkie :(

Sorry, but I don't see anything other than a corruption causing this problem - hopefully it's jsut the thumbnails file that's screwed.
What happens when you try to view the directory in Detailed mode ?
Do you see more of the files then ?

How much free space and how fragmented is the drive - it's possible you've corrupted one or more of the FAT tables :(

Rockefella
01-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Only as a last resort (if having windows XP): Go to start, programs, burea accesesories, system workset, system recovery.Use the wizard to select a date on which a backup was made before this happened.Using this wizard the entire computer, will be put back to how it was on the backup date.All programs installed/uninstalled , and quite possibly all pics too. But only use this if you really cant find any other way .
What he said. A surefire cure is system restore, except it's a little different on my version of xp. (Start> all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore) then choose select my computer to an earlier time, preferably the day b4 you lost these pics. If you want, pm me for help, or you can talk to me at r0ckefella88 (aol instant messenger and i think it works for msn too). If you wanna convert the pics, you may have to open them up in imageready or something and re-save them from there, to prevent something like this from happening. If not, try to download a mass-converter program. hope that helps, even though its pretty much what drakkie said. :)

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't have system recovery but i do have system restore and backup. If I didn't set a back up date, how am I going to get them back? I'm checking the recycle bin to see if it's still there. But does anybody know whats happening to my folder?

Rockefella
01-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Sorry, but I don't see anything other than a corruption causing this problem - hopefully it's jsut the thumbnails file that's screwed.

How much free space and how fragmented is the drive - it's possible you've corrupted one or more of the FAT tables :(
Wouldn't system restore automatically backup the system registry before he started changing the bitmap's to .jpg's? I think he said when he views them that the file is corrupt and doesn't show up.

Rockefella
01-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't have system recovery but i do have system restore and backup. If I didn't set a back up date, how am I going to get them back? I'm checking the recycle bin to see if it's still there. But does anybody know whats happening to my folder?
If you haven't messed w/ the system restore settings, then your computer should automatically set-up restoration points, usually daily. Also, before installing/uninstalling a program or doing something that could possibly harm your computer, system restore would automatically backup your computer's registry (start > run > regedit) to prevent corruption of files, but I'm not sure it'll apply to the pics..

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 11:35 AM

The same thing happens :(

I go through the pics even with detailed mode and the very same ones say : "No Preview Available"
My total Hard-disk space is 40GB, how do I check how much I'v used?

Does this help?

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 11:39 AM
If you haven't messed w/ the system restore settings, then your computer should automatically set-up restoration points, usually daily. Also, before installing/uninstalling a program or doing something that could possibly harm your computer, system restore would automatically backup your computer's registry (start > run > regedit) to prevent corruption of files, but I'm not sure it'll apply to the pics..
I went through the Computer System and look what I found :(

Oh and did I mention that everytime I looked at the size of my folder the floppy drive light and sound would come on like it was looking for or going through a floppy disk.

BjD
01-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Are the pictures actually corrupt or is the thumbnails just not working? Whats the full filename of the pics? Ive had something similar happen if the filename has odd characters in.

spi-ti-tout
01-10-2005, 12:24 PM
No it's like the pics just aren't working. Whatever mode you see them in it always comes as "No Preview Available"

It doesnt have any odd characters in it just english and numbers

Rockefella
01-10-2005, 01:15 PM
No it's like the pics just aren't working. Whatever mode you see them in it always comes as "No Preview Available"

It doesnt have any odd characters in it just english and numbers
I'm guessing what you did is rename some of the files to shorter names. Sometimes when you rename a file, it won't work.

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Current Update on my PC Situation...

Looks like my folder is showing the right size, 'cause of the windows updates. I searched thru and saw that auto updates for windows XP was off so i switched it on, it downloded a few stuff(incuding the XP Service Pack 2) and now it's ok. The only thing thats bugging me is....

I Still Can't See My Pics :(

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm guessing what you did is rename some of the files to shorter names. Sometimes when you rename a file, it won't work.
No I actually made them longer names...

Matra et Alpine
01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
odd Q ... but ..... do you use Aol or Compuserve ??

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Me no understand

Rockefella
01-11-2005, 10:18 AM
No I actually made them longer names...
that must be why, I'm guessing the ones you renamed don't work anymore. If you can, try to rename them to their previous names that they were saved as, and it should be back to normal. You could prob. find the names in your Registry but that's too complicated for me to explain.

Matra et Alpine
01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Guys the registry only keeps system and application details it does NOT keep or track every file on the system.
Hence why system resotre does NOTHING for user files.

The Q on AOL/Compuserve was because there was an issue LONG time ago with them putting an incompatible jpeg compression on. If you had or still have them then you need to disable their "smarts".

OK, try this run regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
and report back all the fields and values.
It's possible somehow you've corrupted the standrd settings.

have you recently installed or uninstalled any gpahics packages ? ie Quicktime - there was an old issue with it as well.

Are ALL the files still there if you look with detail view ?

Alastor
01-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Solving someone else’s computer problems can be difficult at best, especially when trying to describe the trouble shooting process. If you cannot figure it out and really want someone to help you, then install RealVNC. It is a non-OS specific application that will allow another user to take control of you computer through the internet. It is easy to install and use, you just need to find someone you trust enough to connect and fix your computer. Once installed the other person doesn’t even need special software just java enabled on their web browser.

http://www.realvnc.com/

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 01:07 PM
that must be why, I'm guessing the ones you renamed don't work anymore. If you can, try to rename them to their previous names that they were saved as, and it should be back to normal. You could prob. find the names in your Registry but that's too complicated for me to explain.
I can't possible remember all the names. And when I went to the recycle bin, I couldn't find them again :(

Rockefella
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I can't possible remember all the names. And when I went to the recycle bin, I couldn't find them again :(
Once you empty the recycle bin, it's nearly impossible to get the files back. Unless you back up the files that are deleted, which cancels out trashing the file and would make no sense.

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Guys the registry only keeps system and application details it does NOT keep or track every file on the system.
Hence why system resotre does NOTHING for user files.

The Q on AOL/Compuserve was because there was an issue LONG time ago with them putting an incompatible jpeg compression on. If you had or still have them then you need to disable their "smarts".

OK, try this run regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
and report back all the fields and values.
It's possible somehow you've corrupted the standrd settings.

have you recently installed or uninstalled any gpahics packages ? ie Quicktime - there was an old issue with it as well.

Are ALL the files still there if you look with detail view ?
First of all you have to understand I know almost nothing about computers(having got this current one, the ONLY one in the house, very recently-too recently to really go through the system, no previous PC)

I still don't get the AOL/Compuserve thing. Isn't AOL that messenger/instant messenging system? If I have them...well I don't think I do because I see NO indication that it might exist in my PC.

I don't know how to get there. From the gist of what you're saying I think you're asking for my system info? That I can acess quite easily but I never really chage anything. Is that what you're asking me to report here?

Yeah actually I did install Quicktime about a week ago. Is that a problem?

Sorry I know my Computer Illiteracy is making this very hard :o but I'd really apprecite any help offered.

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Once you empty the recycle bin, it's nearly impossible to get the files back. Unless you back up the files that are deleted, which cancels out trashing the file and would make no sense.
I never emptied the recycle bin!!! Neither did anybody else cause all my other files are there...

Rockefella
01-11-2005, 01:21 PM
I never emptied the recycle bin!!! Neither did anybody else cause all my other files are there...
oh, sorry. You said that you checked the recycle bin for them so I figured you trashed them and emptied it :)

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Solving someone else’s computer problems can be difficult at best, especially when trying to describe the trouble shooting process. If you cannot figure it out and really want someone to help you, then install RealVNC. It is a non-OS specific application that will allow another user to take control of you computer through the internet. It is easy to install and use, you just need to find someone you trust enough to connect and fix your computer. Once installed the other person doesn’t even need special software just java enabled on their web browser.

http://www.realvnc.com/
I don't think this is absolutely necessary in this situation but I'll keep it in mind anyway, thanks.

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM
oh, sorry. You said that you checked the recycle bin for them so I figured you trashed them and emptied it :)
No problem-o. Why oh WHY do computer's have to be SO complicated? :mad:

Rockefella
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
First of all you have to understand I know almost nothing about computers(having got this current one, the ONLY one in the house, very recently-too recently to really go through the system, no previous PC)

I still don't get the AOL/Compuserve thing. Isn't AOL that messenger/instant messenging system? If I have them...well I don't think I do because I see NO indication that it might exist in my PC.

I don't know how to get there. From the gist of what you're saying I think you're asking for my system info? That I can acess quite easily but I never really chage anything. Is that what you're asking me to report here?

Yeah actually I did install Quicktime about a week ago. Is that a problem?

Sorry I know my Computer Illiteracy is making this very hard :o but I'd really apprecite any help offered.
what matra asked you to do is to go to start, run, type in regedit and then go to hkey current user then blah blah. If you follow the first three steps I told you you'll see what Matra's talking about.

spi-ti-tout
01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Ok I did all that and heres what I got(makes neither heads nor tails sense to me):

OK guys I'm going to (try to) sleep now (it's like 12:40 here) and in about 6hrs I need to wake up for school (which means I'll probably get any sleep at 2 anyway). So please post and I'll come and check it out tomorrow. Thanks