PDA

View Full Version : i have some questions

clutch-monkey
01-10-2005, 07:50 PM
i need a new car for this year yet i can't actually afford a new car. as a result i am buying a 2000 honda integra type R (stock, or as close to stock as possible). since i'll probably be doing some work on the engine i have a few questions. any work i do will probably only increase power by 30Kw-50kw (40-60hp).
q1. will the extra power effect the steering because its fwd
q2. will i have to upgrade the suspension (i.e. will the power unsettle the car)
q3. should i bother with aftermarket brakes

Rockefella
01-10-2005, 07:54 PM
i need a new car for this year yet i can't actually afford a new car. as a result i am buying a 2000 honda integra type R (stock, or as close to stock as possible). since i'll probably be doing some work on the engine i have a few questions. any work i do will probably only increase power by 30Kw-50kw (40-60hp).
q1. will the extra power effect the steering because its fwd
q2. will i have to upgrade the suspension (i.e. will the power unsettle the car)
q3. should i bother with aftermarket brakes
1. Not too much, but if the car is faster, obviously its harder to turn; therefore, do a little work on the suspension, and get good tires. Handling will improve a lot..
2. See question 1, upgrading the suspension is a very good idea, as long as you want a good track-type of car, not a straight-line racer.
3. Yes.

clutch-monkey
01-10-2005, 07:59 PM
thanks!
the car is basically to get me to uni and back, but i'm doing the basic stuff just in case i get involved with some track days, i'll have a good foundation to continue work on it if i want to. actually i was all for buying a newer model, it was my mum (!) that wanted to buy a car and subtly work on it. i'll post pics once i get it.

clutch-monkey
01-10-2005, 08:34 PM
yes, but i'm not going to go all out, its going to stay n/a, the reason i chose the typeR is because it already has good suspension/steering etc. but i see your point, i'll have to think about how much work i'll be doing on it.

Quiggs
01-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Torque steer sucks. Invest in a limited slip diff. And upgrade suspension and brakes too.

Or leave it stock. The car is already set up incredibly balanced for a street car. Bigger brakes may stop the car faster, but might slow acceleration. Running larger rotors and calipers might require swapping to a heavier wheel. Unsprung weight is not your friend.

gregvl52
01-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Getting that much extra power out of an Integra Type R is probably not going to be easy; they are already such highly tuned engines at 100 hp/liter. Also, these cars do not come cheaply due to their popularity.

clutch-monkey
01-10-2005, 09:31 PM
i think stock is looking pretty good at the moment. i'll probably go for some slight visual changes (alloys, halogen bulbs...thats it). for engine i was thinking exhaust (not fartcan before you ask), powerchip thingy. that should give a power boost to improve driveability without compromising anything else (i'm hoping).

Matra et Alpine
01-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Getting 30 bhp is easy. repalce the exhaust adn the air filter.
No need to change the suspension for that.
It's already a well setup car for road and track use - well the UK spec version is.
Mate's mate brought his Integra R with those changes along to a track day last year and it raised a LOT of eyebrows on it's handling and lap times :)
It doesn't need an LSD, unless you need aids to drive fast. Reasonablke throttle control durign cornering to control tyre slip is all you need !!
An LSD can give nasty kick back as it bites and introduce torque 'kick' akin to full on torque steer. As the suspension is very good it does not have the tendency to lift the inside wheel as a poorer setup might induce - so LSD just a waste unless you want to do 1/4 mile
The power steering isn't intrusive and hides the torque quite effectively.

clutch-monkey
01-13-2005, 03:56 AM
. Also, these cars do not come cheaply due to their popularity.

they only cost $aud 25,000, because they're easier import here.

thanks matra - i think i'm definitely going to get involved with track days, it seems like a good car to learn on the track with.