PDA

View Full Version : Important: User Reputation

Wouter Melissen
12-26-2003, 03:15 AM
Included in the new forum software package was a system to rate posts positively or negatively. Each post rating is reflected by adding or deducting a number of points to or from the poster's tally. More than anything this is intended to get the quality of the posts up.
We have been running this system for a week now and have now set definitive numbers for the various variables.
These variables control who can rate and how many points they can rate with.

Minimum post count to rate: 100
Minimum reputation to rate: 25
Reputation power:
Default reputation power: 1
For every 5000 posts: 1
For every 100 reputation points: 1
For every membership year: 1

So in my case with around 220 posts, 41 reputation and less than a year memebership, every rating I do would add remove 1 point.

It's also important to note that you can only rate 20 times per day and that you have to rate 20 other members' posts to rate the same user's posts again.

Remember: you are rating posts not members! We want to increase the quality of the forums and not start a popularity contest.

Thank you for your time and enjoy your forum vistits,
Wouter Melissen

r34_296kw
12-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Most people actually rate members rather than posts. Just thought I'd let you know.

Egg Nog
12-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Minimum post count to rate: 50
Minimum reputation to rate: 20
Reputation power:
For every 1000 posts: 1

I just thought I'd say that I'm really happy with this system. It seems pretty well thought-out, and should work quite a bit better than our system so far...

henk4
12-28-2003, 05:41 AM
It's also important to note that you can only rate 20 times per day and that you have to rate 20 other members' posts to rate the same user's posts again.

Remember: you are rating posts not members! We want to increase the quality of the forums and not start a popularity contest.

Thank you for your time and enjoy your forum vistits,
Wouter Melissen

I am not totally convinced yet.
I would like to point out that the first para and the second are contradictory. If one member does two posts that I like, do I have to wait for 20 other posts before I can express my appreciation?

Motorer1
12-28-2003, 07:59 PM
I bet I am the only one with a negative rep! :D

white devil
12-29-2003, 08:57 AM

i gess so lol :D
how r we suposed to make it go up and i just saw i guy who just signed in and he has only 2 post and has double of my rep and i have a bout 800 post WTH is that :confused:

Egg Nog
12-31-2003, 05:36 PM
I have two qualms with the system, and this is what I'd do to fix them:

Make an increment of 1 the minimum, so any user can rate people
Get rid of the "spread more reputation around" thing

If you think about it, the whole "spread more reputation around" thing goes against the whole principle of the system. If people can't rate the users who they actually beleive to be making good posts without forcing themselves to go and find half-decent posts by others, then what use is it?

henk4
01-01-2004, 03:21 AM
I have two qualms with the system, and this is what I'd do to fix them:

Make an increment of 1 the minimum, so any user can rate people
Get rid of the "spread more reputation around" thing

If you think about it, the whole "spread more reputation around" thing goes against the whole principle of the system. If people can't rate the users who they actually beleive to be making good posts without forcing themselves to go and find half-decent posts by others, then what use is it?

This is what I posted earlier

"I would like to point out that the first para and the second are contradictory. If one member does two posts that I like, do I have to wait for 20 other posts before I can express my appreciation?"

so I am with you.

V12 Disord3r
01-04-2004, 03:20 PM
I would expect my reptuation to be blow zero begofe long

V12 Disord3r
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Some guy has negative 3

AutoMotivated
01-07-2004, 12:05 AM
I fail to see any reason to quantify someone's 'reputation'.
You guys are kidding yourself if you think that ANY form of quality control can be applied to a person's opinions.
Who has the right anyway?
Is it THAT important that you apply a 'system' to this site that seeks to distinguish between individual's opinions, let alone infringe upon their rights of free speech.
Are you trying to say something?
Come out and say it, are you afraid of being flamed?
Please explain your reasons (if you can be bothered) for such a system, I would appreciate the thought processes that go towards such a concept.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to impugn the idea, I'm only concerned about it's worthiness.

Wouter Melissen
01-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Since this system was implemented the number of posts consisting of just 'lol' or a smilie have all but completely disapeared. These are the type of threads that need to be rated negatively, just like derogatory and deflamatory remarks. Not agreeing with someone is not a reason to rate that particular post negatively.

AutoMotivated
01-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Since this system was implemented the number of posts consisting of just 'lol' or a smilie have all but completely disapeared. These are the type of threads that need to be rated negatively, just like derogatory and deflamatory remarks. Not agreeing with someone is not a reason to rate that particular post negatively.

Thank you for your reply.
I'm sorry, but again I preface my question with 'what is the point?', and what's wrong with a 'laugh' or a 'smilie'.
I can see that some people have an extraordinary number of posts, do you you seek to reduce the number of posts and if so, is this in an effort to reduce someone's workload?

mechanixfetch
01-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Should we rate negatively for poor grammar and therefore improve user's english as well as the quality of their posts? The question is how far do we rate posts?

mechanixfetch
01-11-2004, 04:11 PM
How is it that people who joined 1 day ago and are yet to post have 10 reputation? where I've been here since October and tried to give positive input and useful posts and have the same Reputation? Doesn't strike me as fair.

Egg Nog
01-11-2004, 04:44 PM
How is it that people who joined 1 day ago and are yet to post have 10 reputation? where I've been here since October and tried to give positive input and useful posts and have the same Reputation? Doesn't strike me as fair.

New members now start with 10 reputation points as a default. Unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw.

Wouter, is there any way that we could set all of the current users to have a minimum of 10?

Batmobile_Turbo
01-11-2004, 05:48 PM
New members now start with 10 reputation points as a default. Unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw.

Wouter, is there any way that we could set all of the current users to have a minimum of 10?
what if people are making negative comments?

mechanixfetch
01-11-2004, 05:52 PM
How about adding 10 Reputation points to all existing members I worked hard for my points. And why do new users Default to 10 that seems daft. You should earn respect not be given it as a bonus for joining.

NoOne
01-17-2004, 08:56 AM
I've been thinking further on this reputation issue, spreading reputation around is not working, at least not for me, I have given rep points where I felt they were deserved, but to spreading it around is difficult, some people deserve more rep points from me than what I can give.

I propose that spreading rep be cut down to either 10 posts or be cut out altogether and just put a cap on the maimum amout attainable , there is no difference as to whether a user has attained 35 points or 45 points, they are still a reputable poster. I personally prefer the latter option, a user can attain the highest rating (IE: 40 points) and maintain it with good posts, or lose points if the post quality deteriates.

mechanixfetch
01-18-2004, 01:37 PM
This seems to be a quality idea here by NoOne but I also suggest that if it were done and the point spread idea was killed then there should be a maximum amount of points you should be able to give out per-day else people will team to gether to rate each other to the max and top off both their rep counts. So I think the question of reputaton should be considered carefully. *edit I just remembered you need 20 points to reach a level where you can positively and negativly give people points so cheating would be harder but it is still a sticky wicket.

NoOne
01-19-2004, 07:37 PM
OK , this I have to share.

I was given a neg. rep rating for .... get this ... having an ugly Avatar :D
I won't name the user, but I thought it was funny as hell ... luckily for me that user has less than 20 rep points so I didn't lose any "precious" rep points.
;)

henk4
01-20-2004, 01:13 AM

I won't name the user, but I thought it was funny as hell ... luckily for me that user has less than 20 rep points so I didn't lose any "precious" rep points.
;)

What is an avatar? Then I may be able to decide whether mine is nice or ugly (if I have one??) :D

Pliz
01-20-2004, 02:14 AM
an avatar is a picture, you dont have one henk4, like under NoOne's name there is a picture of some pretty ugly fella and in my avatar theres 2 ladies kissing a guy...thats a avatar...by the way how do you know which user gave you a reputation point?

henk4
01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
an avatar is a picture, you dont have one henk4, like under NoOne's name there is a picture of some pretty ugly fella and in my avatar theres 2 ladies kissing a guy...thats a avatar...by the way how do you know which user gave you a reputation point?

Fine that you have one, but where does it show?

Misho
01-20-2004, 09:01 AM
OMG , r u jocking man ??! u cant be serious !! no way. u dont know whats an avatar ?? and where it shows ?
i'm just surprised coz u have been a member for sooooooo looooong !!
ur either jocking, or using a pre-pentium era computer !!
:rolleyes:

Misho
01-20-2004, 09:03 AM

;)

i really need to know the name of the user that gave u this rep. rating so that i can thank him and give him a reputation boost !!
trust me on this one, many users are annoyed by ur avatar !! let's just hope its not really you :)

Matra et Alpine
01-20-2004, 10:54 AM
i really need to know the name of the user that gave u this rep. rating so that i can thank him and give him a reputation boost !!
trust me on this one, many users are annoyed by ur avatar !! let's just hope its not really you :)
Don't see what's wrong with it.
Maclolm McDowall from Clockwork Orange.
A threatening figure, but is it any worse than a BMW logo :)

Wouter Melissen
01-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Don't see what's wrong with it.
Maclolm McDowall from Clockwork Orange.
A threatening figure, but is it any worse than a BMW logo :)

It's the best custom avatar I have seen on the forums. Too bad today's youth can't appreciate the great old movies.

Matra et Alpine
01-20-2004, 11:16 AM
It's the best custom avatar I have seen on the forums.

ouch, that hurt :D

NoOne
01-20-2004, 11:48 AM
An excellent movie, but one that should be watched many times to get a better understanding of the NADSAT language. Alex has to be one of my favourite anti-heroes.

I have yet to read the book though, either the European version or the shortened somewhat American one. On my list of things to do. ;)

If you haven't seen it, rent it, watch it and watch it again , it is brilliance.
"Viddy well me brothers, viddy well"

What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses the bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?

DasModell
01-20-2004, 04:25 PM
well . i'm a bit young . but i must say . that figure .. was very very familiar .. i thought it was an actor . but i could not say exactly who .. :) . thanks for clearing that .. :)

crisis
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
What is an avatar? Then I may be able to decide whether mine is nice or ugly (if I have one??) :D
Dont feel to bad old boy. I was making a point of not knowing what lol meant until I unfortunately figured it out. Im somewhat of a pain in the arse that way.

crisis
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
An excellent movie, but one that should be watched many times to get a better understanding of the NADSAT language. Alex has to be one of my favourite anti-heroes.

I have yet to read the book though, either the European version or the shortened somewhat American one. On my list of things to do. ;)

If you haven't seen it, rent it, watch it and watch it again , it is brilliance.
"Viddy well me brothers, viddy well"

What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses the bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?
I always wanted to see that. I must hire it. This has given me an idea. See you in the movies thread.

henk4
01-21-2004, 02:59 AM
OMG , r u jocking man ??! u cant be serious !! no way. u dont know whats an avatar ?? and where it shows ?
:rolleyes:

This time I am serious

Pliz
01-21-2004, 03:26 AM
:rolleyes: oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :mad: :mad: :mad: dont diss grandpa :mad:

NoOne
01-22-2004, 09:29 AM
OK , we strayed off topic here, any thoughts on this post I made a few days ago?

I've been thinking further on this reputation issue, spreading reputation around is not working, at least not for me, I have given rep points where I felt they were deserved, but to spreading it around is difficult, some people deserve more rep points from me than what I can give.

I propose that spreading rep be cut down to either 10 posts or be cut out altogether and just put a cap on the maimum amout attainable , there is no difference as to whether a user has attained 35 points or 45 points, they are still a reputable poster. I personally prefer the latter option, a user can attain the highest rating (IE: 40 points) and maintain it with good posts, or lose points if the post quality deteriates.

Misho
01-22-2004, 09:39 AM
i totally agree with NoOne on that one ! i encountered the same problem before. i tried to add rep to a good comment and i got that error message that u have to spread reputation around. cutting it down to 10 will be probably be much better, or even forget about the whole spreading reputation thing as i dont see what is it's advantage. even better, forget the whole Rep thing, it causes nothing but trouble !!

one thing i noticed however is that most users' rep ratings didnt change much after implementation of the final system. it seems that ppl are too lazy to rate comments.

Wouter Melissen
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
i totally agree with NoOne on that one ! i encountered the same problem before. i tried to add rep to a good comment and i got that error message that u have to spread reputation around. cutting it down to 10 will be probably be much better, or even forget about the whole spreading reputation thing as i dont see what is it's advantage. even better, forget the whole Rep thing, it causes nothing but trouble !!

one thing i noticed however is that most users' rep ratings didnt change much after implementation of the final system. it seems that ppl are too lazy to rate comments.

It has already been cut down to ten.

NoOne
01-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanx Wouter, I still liked the latter option better though. :)

Misho
01-22-2004, 10:04 AM
It has already been cut down to ten.

Thanks Wouter. I think this will be better for the forums in general and will improve the whole rep rating system.

Misho
01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanx Wouter, I still liked the latter option better though. :)

Thats just being too pushy !! :)

NoOne
01-22-2004, 10:09 AM
You may be right Misho, but if you don't ask you won't get. ;)

mechanixfetch
01-23-2004, 05:55 PM
I must say that it is really nice to be on a Fourm where the Uber Big Kahuna Web Master listens to his subjects and takes their suggestions seriously. Thanks Wouter *sniff* I love you man! *sniff*

henk4
01-24-2004, 12:42 AM
I must say that it is really nice to be on a Fourm where the Uber Big Kahuna Web Master listens to his subjects and takes their suggestions seriously. Thanks Wouter *sniff* I love you man! *sniff*

Always good to observe that he is still listening to somebody :D

carlover
02-05-2004, 06:47 AM
how do you know which user gave you a reputation point?

I would like to know this too. In doesn't show which user gave me the point in my user CP, it just shows me thier comment and whether they gave me a good rep. or a bad reputation,or niether(they had less then 20 points).

NoOne
02-05-2004, 07:26 AM
I would like to know this too. In doesn't show which user gave me the point in my user CP, it just shows me thier comment and whether they gave me a good rep. or a bad reputation,or niether(they had less then 20 points).
It is priviledged information ;) j/k.

I'm assuming it is so anonymity can be maintained in the case of a negative rep point, when I give a point I let the user know it was me.
IE: "Totally agree with that comment - NoOne"

Batmobile_Turbo
02-05-2004, 09:03 AM

I'm assuming it is so anonymity can be maintained in the case of a negative rep point, when I give a point I let the user know it was me.
IE: "Totally agree with that comment - NoOne"
but what if someone returns the rep point just because they got a rep point and not because they found a good post of their friend?

carlover
02-06-2004, 06:44 AM

Does that mean only moderators and administrators know? And if you become a moderator or administor do they tell you how to figure out in the moderator forums?

NoOne
02-06-2004, 07:34 AM
but what if someone returns the rep point just because they got a rep point and not because they found a good post of their friend?

Personally I would trust that rep points are earned and not given freely, just because "they gave me one". If you look at the people with the highest rep points - I believe Egg Nog and Crisis - see the consistent quality of their posts and you'll realize that they have earned their points through sharing information and giving an informed opinion and not because someone was returning the favour. :cool:

NoOne
02-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Does that mean only moderators and administrators know? And if you become a moderator or administor do they tell you how to figure out in the moderator forums?
Yes, only the moderators and administrator can access that info.

Actually, the information is easy to access, this is great forum software ... at least from my perspective. :)

henk4
02-14-2004, 09:11 AM
How to improve your reputation? Don't post anything.

I was away for two weeks without having access to the web and having returned i found that my reputation has gone up by five points!!!. Thank you all so much. I am getting reluctant to participate again and tarnish my reputation. :D

crisis
02-15-2004, 05:45 PM
No One, Matra and EggNogg have been seriously dissed by the fact that I have been unable to give them kudos. I understand the thinking behind the restrictions but I want to say sorry guys. I tried.

Matra et Alpine
02-15-2004, 06:55 PM
No One, Matra and EggNogg have been seriously dissed by the fact that I have been unable to give them kudos. I understand the thinking behind the restrictions but I want to say sorry guys. I tried.
No sweat, crisis.
The numbers only a number.
Having good rapport is the best measure :)

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 03:44 PM
No sweat, crisis.
The numbers only a number.
Having good rapport is the best measure :)
Hmm, having said that ... I noticed my rep score go down and I was surprised as I didn't think I'd been obnoxious anywhere.
Anyway when I look at the rep info on my UCP page there are NO comments next to some.
So people are giving neg rep points and not bothering to say anything.
One enhancement that might be useful is to FORCE people to put text into the reason.
It's listed against the A6 thread so I can only assume some Audi-lover objected that I was vocal in saying I didn't like the grille. Wow, getting bad rep for saying what's obvious.
It makes a mockery of the idea of the rep point.
If it's meant to improve posts then how will it improve in the future.
Sh*t I'll just stop adding any comments - soudns as good a way to get rep points than being away :)

henk4
02-21-2004, 01:59 AM
It happened again, I posted nothing and I gained another 4 points. :D

henk4
02-21-2004, 02:13 AM
and within 12 minutes after the above post I got another point, what's happening to the world :D

Egg Nog
02-22-2004, 11:51 PM
It happened again, I posted nothing and I gained another 4 points. :D

fpv_gtho gives or takes 4 every time he rates... he must've liked something you said :)

henk4
02-23-2004, 01:42 AM
fpv_gtho gives or takes 4 every time he rates... he must've liked something you said :)
Where's the option to give more than one point?

NoOne
02-23-2004, 06:11 AM
For every thousand posts you give or take 1 point, as he has over 3,000 posts his vote is worth 4 points, likewise when you pass the 1,000 post mark your vote will be worth 2 points.

henk4
02-23-2004, 06:40 AM
For every thousand posts you give or take 1 point, as he has over 3,000 posts his vote is worth 4 points, likewise when you pass the 1,000 post mark your vote will be worth 2 points.

That sounds outrageous given that the points issue was to promote quality and not quantity. I am not questioning the quality of FPV's posts, but I think this relationship should not be made.

NoOne
02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
That sounds outrageous given that the points issue was to promote quality and not quantity. I am not questioning the quality of FPV's posts, but I think this relationship should not be made.
I totally agree, I had made this suggestion 01-17-04

I still maintain this would be the best use of the reputation system

crisis
02-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I dont mind the rep system as far as it allows us to softly censor the more mindless and idiotic posts. If you browse this site you will quickly get an idea of who is who and in most cases rep points are a pretty accurate indication of the persons quality of posts. As far as im concerned anyone who has accumulated 15 or more has obvioulsy made some reasonable posts. I have learnt a lot from many of you, EggNog, Nildo, Megotmea7 , you guys knowledge astounds me. The boys ( no offence ) from Oz, Falcon 500 and FPVGTHO likewise knowledge about V8 supercar racing and Australian cars made before they were born is equally impressive. NoOnes posts are always quality and nobody who read the post about the accident he was involved would have done it without being moved. Henk has made me accept there are good deisel cars out there , although as long as they make rear wheel drive V8s I still dont think I'll ever have one. I'll leave Citroens out of this. MatraEt Alpine, despite owning too many cars, is also a wealth of knowledge on motorsport, technology and Scotch. Misho , wherever he is, taught me a lot at a time when the world seemed to be taking sides and people were making some fairly sweeping and innacurate comments. There are many others . I look forward every morning and afternoon to checking these forums to see what you guys have to say. I have had discussions and disagreements with most of you at some stage, yet in most cases been able to repsect , if not agree with your opinions. I enjoy dishing out points to the good posts and get a certain satisfaction in dissing the dumb ones. I hope this was not seen as condescending or blowing wind up your collective arses but dont sweat the rep points. I rekon you would mostly agree with my observations.

henk4
02-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Henk has made me accept there are good deisel cars out there , although as long as they make rear wheel drive V8s I still dont think I'll ever have one.

Thanks for the compliment, but I think you could have been even more convincing if you had spelled the word diesel correctly. :D :D ,
;) ;) Next time it will cost you a rep point, and being close to 1000 posts, it could even be two. :D

Anyway, there are some pretty powerful V8 rear driven diesel cars out there which would be quite a handful for the Holdens and the Fords.

Doza
02-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Henk has made me accept there are good deisel cars out there , although as long as they make rear wheel drive V8s I still dont think I'll ever have one.
What car is diesel, rwd, and has V8?

henk4
02-25-2004, 12:15 AM

The BMW 7 Series, the Mercedes S-Class, and soon the Maserati Quattroporte. The Audi V8 is AWD as is the Phaeton, but that has a V10.

fpv_gtho
02-25-2004, 02:19 AM

before he retired, Peter Hanenberger expressed his interest in a 6 something litre V8 turbo diesel making its way into future commodores. all part of holdens commitment to get to something like 6.8L/100km fuel consumption by 2010 i think it is. with GM giving holden a major hand in the design of the 2006 VE commodore i think its very safe to say that by 2010 it will still be RWD

crisis
02-25-2004, 04:42 PM
What I meant is that while there are rear wheel drive petrol engined V8s, I would probably not buy a diesel.

Niko_Fx
02-25-2004, 07:54 PM
I have a question, I have received some reputation points with a little green dot next to it which actually gives me some points, but I have also received reputation points which don't have the green dot and don't add up anything. I know they are positive cause they put a message like "good post" etc

So what does that mean?

Egg Nog
02-25-2004, 08:05 PM
I have a question, I have received some reputation points with a little green dot next to it which actually gives me some points, but I have also received reputation points which don't have the green dot and don't add up anything. I know they are positive cause they put a message like "good post" etc

So what does that mean?

Users who have less than 20 posts cannot rate. They can say "I aprrove" and send a positive message, but unfortunately it is only adding +0. Thus, it's not green or red. :)

Misho
02-26-2004, 09:08 AM
i personally think that when someone gives a rating (weather +ve or -ve), it should be known to the person who received that rating who gave it to him.
i was looking at my rep comments and one of them was "you suck nigga".
i can guess where it came from, but what good is that. its probably from a coward who used this feature to hide his identity. if you are going to give a rating, you should not be afraid to say it was you, weather its a good or bad comment.

Misho
02-26-2004, 09:12 AM
oh yeah, someone else gave me a non-green rating and in his comment he said "+1 great pics from the sultans airplane" !! i dont know if he accidentally gave -ve rather than the intended +ve, or if he has less than 20 posts to make his rating count.
in both cases, i think it would have been better to know the user.

NoOne
02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
i personally think that when someone gives a rating (weather +ve or -ve), it should be known to the person who received that rating who gave it to him.
i can guess where it came from, but what good is that. its probably from a coward who used this feature to hide his identity. if you are going to give a rating, you should not be afraid to say it was you, weather its a good or bad comment.
Cowards can't hide tht well, I've placed a 1 week ban on him.

Racial slurs will NOT be tolerated.

henk4
02-26-2004, 11:54 AM
I see that NoOne has already dealt with that, but one question remains. Can somebody explain how or where to look for rep comments. Pointing at the green dot only tells me that I am still on a distinghuised road. :confused:

crisis
02-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Cowards can't hide tht well, I've placed a 1 week ban on him.

Racial slurs will NOT be tolerated.
I'm not sure that a week is enought for a gutless shot like that but your the modulator. It is good to make known that the moderators CAN see who does this.

Niko_Fx
02-26-2004, 04:41 PM
You mean 20 posts or 20 rep points?? I have more than 20 posts and I've given people rep points (approve/disapprove) and their points still the same...

Egg Nog
02-26-2004, 09:34 PM
You mean 20 posts or 20 rep points?? I have more than 20 posts and I've given people rep points (approve/disapprove) and their points still the same...

20 reputation points. Looks as if you're well on your way :)

Niko_Fx
02-26-2004, 09:57 PM
20 reputation points. Looks as if you're well on your way :)

:D Thank You

NoOne
02-27-2004, 06:33 AM
I'm not sure that a week is enought for a gutless shot like that but your the modulator. It is good to make known that the moderators CAN see who does this.
You may be right, a week is what first came to mind as a first offence it should probably be longer, second offence will be a permanent ban I have informed that user via E-mail.

Misho
02-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanx NoOne. its good to know that we have responsible moderators/modulators like urself.
as for the racial slurs, they are the lowest form of communication and reflect the stupid nature of the poster.

Misho
02-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Can somebody explain how or where to look for rep comments. Pointing at the green dot only tells me that I am still on a distinghuised road. :confused:

just click on "User CP" and u will get a list of the latest comments left to you be other users.

henk4
02-27-2004, 09:19 AM
just click on "User CP" and u will get a list of the latest comments left to you be other users.

Thank you, never too old to learn new things ;)

Misho
03-04-2004, 12:09 PM
check out post number 26 of this thread
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2275&page=2
for more info on rep system.

carlover
03-08-2004, 02:38 PM
I have been recently propelled over the 20 rep. point mark and when I tried to add a rep. point to someone the computer said "must spread some more rep around." Now I had NEVER, EVER given any rep. points to this person. Has anyone else ever experienced any thing like this? I would really like to be able to give somone rep. points without having to give 10 other people them.

crisis
03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
I have been recently propelled over the 20 rep. point mark and when I tried to add a rep. point to someone the computer said "must spread some more rep around." Now I had NEVER, EVER given any rep. points to this person. Has anyone else ever experienced any thing like this? I would really like to be able to give somone rep. points without having to give 10 other people them.
Its happened to me plenty of times. I fling the things around all over the joint. It has only happened when I try to add to people I have added to previously though. A couple here would have about 70 points otherwise.

ace
03-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Its happened to me plenty of times. I fling the things around all over the joint. It has only happened when I try to add to people I have added to previously though. A couple here would have about 70 points otherwise.
hay Crisis have one on me :D

carlover
03-09-2004, 06:22 AM
I think the problem is activated by posts. When I tried to rate a different post of the same person it worked just fine. I had only given out about 3 more rep. points when I had rated the second post. This also happened a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago when I had just come itno the forums. I clicked on the little rep. box and it said "must spread more rep. around."That was my first rating ever. Is it just me or is someone else having the same problem?????? It happens rarely though so it barely ever gets in my way.

carlover
03-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Actually, the information is easy to access, this is great forum software ... at least from my perspective. :)
How do you acsess the information? :confused:

byronleehk
06-11-2004, 10:36 AM
So think this one through, when you see someone with a high rep make a statement about a car problem you bring to UCP. How will you know to trust it ?

It may only have been earned by pimping for threads like this

Is it possible to have 2 different rep point systems posted side by side...one being earned via helping others (by posting answers to problems) and the other for 'pimping'?

Of course the Moderators have to find a way to monitor these.

Just a thought. :)

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Is it possible to have 2 different rep point systems posted side by side...one being earned via helping others (by posting answers to problems) and the other for 'pimping'?

Of course the Moderators have to find a way to monitor these.

Just a thought. :)

nah, I think it's best to keep UCP as a friendly place where mates are willing and happy to help each other out.

'pimping' brings capitalism in and it's nasty side could lead to the future when folks could become mercenary and ONLY willing to post if they get rep for it. THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE>

I think it's best that rep is for QUALITY and that a simple "thanks" and "hello" is for all the rest :)

cp01ae
06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I agree with Matra. Were rep to become capitalistic nobody would post or help anyone else unless it became profitable, leading to a useless web-site. It seems to be working not too badly now.

byronleehk
06-11-2004, 01:23 PM
'pimping' brings capitalism in and it's nasty side could lead to the future when folks could become mercenary and ONLY willing to post if they get rep for it. THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE>

I think it's best that rep is for QUALITY and that a simple "thanks" and "hello" is for all the rest :)

Yeah that's true! :)

werty
06-11-2004, 01:39 PM
i have one question about members who can give more than one rep. When you are in the process of giving rep, do you either give the rep all at once, or rep them twice in a row(or however many times you can give rep), or does it list the number of rep's you want to give to that person?

I'll soon find out as i am approaching 1000 posts, but why not ask now ;)

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2004, 03:04 PM
i have one question about members who can give more than one rep. When you are in the process of giving rep, do you either give the rep all at once, or rep them twice in a row(or however many times you can give rep), or does it list the number of rep's you want to give to that person?

I'll soon find out as i am approaching 1000 posts, but why not ask now ;)
At the moment, ter is NO control over the rep.

I give out +4 rep all the time.
I've suggested that we shoudl be allowed to give out lower rep as I feel I want to give some rep but some things deserve 1 and others deserve 4. We'll see if it changes. As it is I tend to 'add up" rep and then give it when I think someone's deserving of the +4.

werty
06-11-2004, 05:26 PM
so are you saying that you have to give 4 rep, you cant give 3 or 2 or 1 rep????

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2004, 05:28 PM
so are you saying that you have to give 4 rep, you cant give 3 or 2 or 1 rep????
For now, yes !!

werty
06-11-2004, 05:33 PM
weird, i think it should be changed so you can give the exact number of rep you want to give, cause some stuff is worth 1 rep and others maybe 4

NoOne
06-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Personally I think rep should be given or taken away in 1 point increments only, regardless of post count or rep rating. Case in point, at this time werty you have under a 1000 posts and I have just over 1000 posts, should that make my opinion of a quality post worth twice as much as your opinion? I don't think so.

I'd also like to add that rep should be given when a post has useful info or is a quality post in general, even if the information is not 100% correct, but the member posting it had put obvious effort into it, as sometimes information (for example) is perceived one way but not necessarily correctly.
Reward those who try. ;)

fpv_gtho
06-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Personally I think rep should be given or taken away in 1 point increments only, regardless of post count or rep rating. Case in point, at this time werty you have under a 1000 posts and I have just over 1000 posts, should that make my opinion of a quality post worth twice as much as your opinion? I don't think so.

Heres something to get you thinking. Statistically my opinion is worhth 6x that of werty and 3x of yours. And Matra was worried about having to give out +4 :o

NoOne
06-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Statistically my opinion is worhth 6x that of werty and 3x of yours. And Matra was worried about having to give out +4 :o
My point exactly, if someone has earned the 20 points (well actually 10 more than the 10 "good faith" points a member starts with) then their opinion should have the same weight as mine, yours and everyone else. IMHO.

No offense to you, Matra, Egg Nog and everyone else who is "qualified" to give multiple rep points for their opinion on someone's post. ;)

fpv_gtho
06-11-2004, 07:34 PM
well it would be alot of weight off my shoulders if either everyones opinion was only worth 1 point or there was some variability in the ratings

Wouter Melissen
06-12-2004, 12:24 AM
I have made a couple of changes to the rating system:

Minimum post count to rate: 100
Minimum reputation to rate: 25
Reputation power:
For every 5000 posts: 1

This brings fpv's rating number down to 3 and Matra's to 2.

henk4
06-12-2004, 03:08 AM
an ever lasting can of worms. :)

Spastik_Roach
06-12-2004, 03:15 AM
But it brings mine down to 1 :( I feel sad..

UK CARS
06-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Wouter, what made you feel you had to change it?

henk4
06-12-2004, 03:24 AM
Wouter, what made you feel you had to change it?

Don't expect a quick answer he is busy putting the Stage 1 tuning kit on the mini.

Spastik_Roach
06-12-2004, 03:25 AM
So its ugnna go from 20hp to 21hp? :D :p ;)

henk4
06-12-2004, 03:30 AM
So its ugnna go from 20hp to 21hp? :D :p ;)

i'll keep this one in reserve for +2, the system did not allow me to spread it right now. (its SAE horsepower by the way)

Matra et Alpine
06-12-2004, 03:42 AM
My point exactly, if someone has earned the 20 points (well actually 10 more than the 10 "good faith" points a member starts with) then their opinion should have the same weight as mine, yours and everyone else. IMHO.

No offense to you, Matra, Egg Nog and everyone else who is "qualified" to give multiple rep points for their opinion on someone's post. ;)
NO offence, this is already in discussion in the mods forum and a suggested change where those with higher rep can chose to give lower ( which I think woudl be most of the time )

I'm trying to write it all up for consnideration some time over the weekend.
Just got cars to fix first :(

Matra et Alpine
06-12-2004, 03:45 AM
Don't expect a quick answer he is busy putting the Stage 1 tuning kit on the mini.
oh no :)
Guess I'll keep my mobile beside me :) :)

Not sure why Wouter went this way as opposed to another alternative we'd suggested.

What we'll do is clear all this up in the mods section first and get back with a reason and save everyone PM'ing him :)

henk4
06-12-2004, 03:54 AM

Not sure why Wouter went this way as opposed to another alternative we'd suggested.

This is about the rep system and not the mini I suppose ;)

Matra et Alpine
06-12-2004, 04:21 AM
This is about the rep system and not the mini I suppose ;)
Yes.

Not sure if I should put my hand up and say that I'd supported his Stage1 upgrade as a good low(ish) cost easy upgrade for the Mini. Original filter and exhuast are VERY restrictive. Parents shuold be banned from forums their kids are in :)

I've still got a full-race 1380 here, waiting for him :)

henk4
06-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Yes.

Not sure if I should put my hand up and say that I'd supported his Stage1 upgrade as a good low(ish) cost easy upgrade for the Mini. Original filter and exhuast are VERY restrictive.

He was talking about a K&N filter and the current exhaust was a bit loose so who knows.

Parents shuold be banned from forums their kids are in :)

What sort of statement is that? You have the power to ban me isn't it, ;) ( my non-future as moderator was never in doubt though).

I've still got a full-race 1380 here, waiting for him :), in which case the car will not be street legal any more and he'll start using my car again. How do I get the quoted parts split???

Matra et Alpine
06-12-2004, 06:24 AM
, in which case the car will not be street legal any more and he'll start using my car again. How do I get the quoted parts split???

PU a [ /QUOTE] minus the extra space at the end of the first piec of quoted text, type in your text and then put a [ QUOTE] (again no space) before the next piece of text.

1380 is still street legal - it's the insurance company who will take their pound of flesh - acutally half a stone usually :)

henk4
06-12-2004, 06:46 AM
PU a [ /QUOTE] minus the extra space at the end of the first piec of quoted text, type in your text and then put a [ QUOTE] (again no space) before the next piece of text.

????? This is beyond me

1380 is still street legal - it's the insurance company who will take their pound of flesh - acutally half a stone usually :)

Do we need to tell them? What BHP are we talking about? 110 or so?

Matra et Alpine
06-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Do we need to tell them? What BHP are we talking about? 110 or so?
well in the UK, if you don't tell your insurance of any mods they walk away from any claim and leave you to sort out payment etc yourself !!! Insurance becomes null-and-void :(
120+ with a 286 cam and fully ported :)
Course, you NEED to go Jack Knight gearbox and s/c gears so you're then driving something that sounds like a tractor !!!! But GOES :)

werty
06-12-2004, 12:35 PM

What we'll do is clear all this up in the mods section first and get back with a reason and save everyone PM'ing him :)
yeah what happened to giving a specific number of rep. now i'll have to be on UCP forever just to make my opinion count more :mad:
and people who used to give 2 rep are back to 1, which is not fair in my opinion for those members

Karrmann
07-01-2004, 07:44 AM
I have 200+ posts, 15 rep, can I rate?

Mustang
07-01-2004, 12:08 PM
I have 200+ posts, 15 rep, can I rate?

no you could if you had 25 rep though

Karrmann
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
that's not fair.(ok , everybody pour the rep on me!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D )

DasModell
07-19-2004, 11:20 AM
lol . i just saw that somebody(unsigned:)) done a negative rate on me . for a joke he probably didn;t understand :D

Matra et Alpine
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
lol . i just saw that somebody(unsigned:)) done a negative rate on me . for a joke he probably didn;t understand :D
could be lots of reason, maybe the person will PM or post here.

COuld be they didn't get it and thought it offensive.
May be they DID get it and still thought it offensive.
They may strongly disagree and the joke made it sound flippant and unresearched.
THere could be loads of reasons.
Maybe look at the original post again and see if any of the above might apply.

We are sometimes so reticient to use neg rep that someone more willing to see it as a 'scoring' system doesn't see the problem in neg repping. I tend to keep it for things which are blatanly offensive, ignorant or repetitive and un-moving. But that's my personality. Others aren't going to be so 'soft' :)

Don't let it upset you, it's only one neg point. rather than worrying about it, put in a couple of stonking great posts and you coudl be +5 up :)

Mustang
07-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Don't let it upset you, it's only one neg point. rather than worrying about it, put in a couple of stonking great posts and you coudl be +5 up :)

i know that this is a bit of a post whore crap*y post but can yougive +5 now then?

Matra et Alpine
07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
i know that this is a bit of a post whore crap*y post but can yougive +5 now then?
no, +2, the point of the message was a few folks would each give +1 ...

Life's too short :)

Mustang
07-19-2004, 01:42 PM
no, +2, the point of the message was a few folks would each give +1 ...

Life's too short :)

ok :)

dam another poor post :p

Misho
07-21-2004, 11:31 AM
But that's my personality. Others aren't going to be so 'soft' :)

:)

keep in mind that u did give me neg rep before for no real reason, and then promised me a +4 and didnt deleiver !! ;)

Mustang
07-21-2004, 11:34 AM
keep in mind that u did give me neg rep before for no real reason, and then promised me a +4 and didnt deleiver !! ;)

but unfortunately for you he cant give a +4 now because of the new rep system :p

Matra et Alpine
07-21-2004, 12:18 PM
hey you got what I could give, not my fault the system dropped my "handout rate" :)

escort mexico
08-04-2004, 05:06 AM
how come some new member recieve +10 rep when they join up, and some don't, i thought everyone did nowdays.

Mustang
08-04-2004, 05:22 AM
how come some new member recieve +10 rep when they join up, and some don't, i thought everyone did nowdays.

everyone does get +10 now when they join, i think that it was last year that you started with 0 rep, some of the guys that have joined recently and are on 0 rep will be on that because they pissed people of with stupid posts etc and got bad rep for it :)

escort mexico
08-04-2004, 06:09 AM
that is farily crap, cos i should be on 24, which would mean that i could give away rep after i gat another point, there should be some way for this to be improved so all of the people that have been here for ages, get a bonus 10 or something :confused:

Matra et Alpine
08-04-2004, 06:16 AM
that is farily crap, cos i should be on 24,
Any single case can be found which is always 'crap' in ANY system.
Sorry :)

For example, until recently it was possible for some membres to give out +4 rep.
So if I liked a post then you got +4, if some else liked it they got +1.
Now, it's the same post, the same "value" how come it should be +4 instead of +1 ?
We've adjusted that slightly, but it still falls to those who give out the higher rep to 'act fair' when giving it out :)

In the meantime some folks have had 'accelerated' rep that wasn't available to others.

Equally not fair. But as my parents used to tell me "nodoby ever said life would be fair" :)

Try not to let it annoy you, good posts WILL attract good rep and then the "extra 10" jsut becomes noice - a small blip beside all the "earned" ones.

escort mexico
08-04-2004, 06:36 AM
yeah, you've got a point there, 14 earned pionts are better than 10 free ones

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-05-2004, 09:44 AM
I have over 100 posts to me, and I have tried to give reputation, but no avail. What has happened? And you can't actually see how many rep points people have anymore!

werty
09-05-2004, 10:01 AM
? And you can't actually see how many rep points people have anymore!

according to Wouter Melissen that is going to be fixed sometime soon :)

SlickHolden
09-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Leave it out i say, We can still see rep points in the User CP :D

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-05-2004, 01:10 PM
But what about making over 100 posts? I still haven't seen changes.

Matra et Alpine
09-05-2004, 01:19 PM
But what about making over 100 posts? I still haven't seen changes.
coz you don't have enough rep.

MINIMUM levels are ALL required before rep can be given.
See http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-05-2004, 01:45 PM
ah-ha. gotcha. only 13 points to go....

escort mexico
09-05-2004, 04:27 PM
what is going on now, you can't see how much rep others have, and all of the images are just rows of text. is this a new change to the site, cos it's crap for dialup users, cos before we could get some idea of what the image was of, now we have to load it in full, (which takes ages)

Matra et Alpine
09-05-2004, 05:07 PM
what is going on now, you can't see how much rep others have, and all of the images are just rows of text. is this a new change to the site, cos it's crap for dialup users, cos before we could get some idea of what the image was of, now we have to load it in full, (which takes ages)
LAST TIME I"M POSTING THIS.

PLEASE, everyone STOP jumping to conclusions.

There are some minor things still to be fixed and Wouer is working on them

Jumping into assumptions just make you look foolish later, so everyoine stop it.
Besides it takes our time away from fixing things !!!!!!!!!!

motorsportnerd
09-12-2004, 01:54 AM
In regards to user rep. I'd be interested for someone to explain to my why/how I could get negative rep for the following comments:

In reponse to a comment in the following thread http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=101174#post101174 in the Australian section"

"Originally Posted by @wall
However, the BA blew me away. It's refined looks, astonishing 6 Cyl engine and reasonable price. Hence, if I had 35k and was buying a new car tomorrow, I would buy the BA over the VY."

I made the following comment - "Don't buy one new - the resale of the BA isn't proving to be much better than the AU. A early build 2002 model BA is now slipping below $20,000 (one advertised recently at City Ford). Or get a low mileage 2003 model for $23,000 at a number of dealers."

The person who gave me the negative rep was too gutless to leave any reason or even say who they were. Perhaps they were offended by the idea that I'd suggest buying a used car is a better proposition than buying a new car. Or was it because I named a dealer? I don't work for that dealer and have never bought a car from them - I was merely naming my source for the price I saw. It wasn't intended as a plug for any dealer.

Anyway, perhaps people giving negative rep should be required to give a reason and state their username in order to explain what/why they were so offended.

henk4
09-12-2004, 01:58 AM
actually any rep given should automatically identify the source.

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2004, 02:02 AM
Anyway, perhaps people giving negative rep should be required to give a reason and state their username in order to explain what/why they were so offended.
Not sure about enforced sigs, but educating folks to have the conviction of their reasons to sign it themself.

Personally , I suspect you got neg repped by some fanboy/kiddie who didn't like tat you presented a FACT that toally disproved their opinion.

it's a shame, but on-line forums don't successfully weed out twerps the way we manage to do quickly when face-to-face !!!

I keep repeating.
FIRST, rep is for fun, so dont' take it TOO seriously.
SECOND, *THINK* before you post positive and ngative. Why are you doing it. What is the outcome you want.
FINALLY, Have the courage of conviction to SIGN IT. If you can't sign it, then you should question YOURSELF if you're just being a fool or hiding the real reason.